Manual leveling

time_traveler

Always support both tires on the side you are raising.  It is best for the trailer and it’s suspension.  I usually set the level on the floor inside the door of the trailer when I want to double check my trailers level.  My wife also likes to open the bathroom door about half way to see if it swings one way or the other on its own as a final test.  As for what type of level, any will work.  With a regular small level, you need to check one direction and then turn it 90 degrees and check the other direction.  With a small square bubble level with a circle in the center, you can get both directions at once without having to turn it.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

For the most part, I agree with Chad, but sometimes you don't have the correct thickness board or other leveling device to put under all tires.  Putting slightly different thickness under tires shouldn't matter much, depending on what axles you have. 

We put up to 1 1/2" ( 2x10) different thickness under adjacent axles/tires, but no more.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

With a tandem axle there's an equalizer between the springs that keeps the trailer somewhat level if one tire goes over a bump.  So by putting blocks under one tire really doesn't do much good.  It wont raise the rig much if at all.  So to answer your question, you should put blocks under the tires of both axles.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

2 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

With a tandem axle there's an equalizer between the springs that keeps the trailer somewhat level if one tire goes over a bump.  So by putting blocks under one tire really doesn't do much good.  It wont raise the rig much if at all.  So to answer your question, you should put blocks under the tires of both axles.

Wouldn't placing an 1 1/2" board under 1 wheel raise the coach 3/4"? It always has for us.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

It may raise it a little, but not the height of the block until you reach the max throw of the equalizer.  Easy way to check the distance is to put a block under "one" tire and measure then put a block under "both" tires and measure. 

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Wouldn't placing an 1 1/2" board under 1 wheel raise the coach 3/4"? It always has for us.

Works for us.  We often have a slightly different height of block under one of the tandems to get the level "just right". 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Having a tri-axle, we played the block game to get it on the money, but after setting up a very unlevel site in Bandera, TX last winter, in rain at 36*, by myself, we had a bigfoot system installed.  The only blocks are under the feet.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Interesting answers to your question. I certainly agree with levelors under both wheels. However, as to where to place the level, for me it depends whether you have a home type of refrigerator or an RV ammonia based fridge. I've only put the small square level with circle in the center on the base in the freezer. I then level to that. Knock on wood, I haven't had refrigerator problems with my ammonia cooling refrigerators. Please keep in mind, when I give anyone my free opinion, you get what you are paying for. . . .

I had a minor problem with my fridge once so I called Norcold technical support.  In the course of conversation, I asked about leveling.  He said that if you're comfortable walking in your RV, that's level enough for your fridge.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

He said that if you're comfortable walking in your RV, that's level enough for your fridge.

That's the same as the wording for our rv fridge in our unit.  I don't loose sleep over being a bit out of level.  Heck, I've been told I'm half a bubble off anyway.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

When we didn’t have auto levelers, I made a level board/ramp of sorts. 

Three boards 2x10s 

One long enough to be under both tires enough to make it easy.  Then two more screwed on top. Shorter lengths. All with 45* cuts on ends to allow ease of climb. 

Back up on one board one tire, other tire on groundO.  Or same tire up two boards, other tire still on ground. Or, rear tire on third board and other tire on first   

Gives you three heights to adjust till level. 
small increments. Very easy. Quick. Can also add a separate board in front so front tire is on a board two. Gives a more fine tuned adjust. Rarely was needed. 

Used this setup over 20 years on three diff trailers. Never an issue 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I have another question re leveling my new to me 5iver

The front landing gear is electric and one  toggle button activates both legs at the same time.  Do I need to level each leg independently?  I.E put block under the shorter one if the ground was uneven at the front of the rig?  or does  the front landing gear self level? There is nothing in my owner's manual?

Thanks 

Yep, have an assortment of wood blocks handy.  We keep some in the front compartment.  A few pieces each of one inch and two inch should do nicely. It's also nice to have a couple pieces of 4x4 of 6x6.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I have seperate front langing legs also. Minior sise to side difference I level with the jacks. You are actuall twisting the frame doing this. But it is designed to fles some. Some is the key word though. If off badly I use wood under the wheels.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 12/9/2019 at 8:34 AM, billr said:

When we didn’t have auto levelers, I made a level board/ramp of sorts. 

Three boards 2x10s 

One long enough to be under both tires enough to make it easy.  Then two more screwed on top. Shorter lengths. All with 45* cuts on ends to allow ease of climb. 

Back up on one board one tire, other tire on groundO.  Or same tire up two boards, other tire still on ground. Or, rear tire on third board and other tire on first   

Gives you three heights to adjust till level. 
small increments. Very easy. Quick. Can also add a separate board in front so front tire is on a board two. Gives a more fine tuned adjust. Rarely was needed. 

Used this setup over 20 years on three diff trailers. Never an issue w

We did the exact same thing when we had a 5th wheel.  We learned about it at Escapade one year.  Works great!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel