Library services

The last time we were in Sioux Falls we asked about getting library cards, and explained to them that we are full-timers who use a mail-forwarding service. That was fine with them, and we were given library cards. We've regularly checked out ebooks for the past couple of years. Recently, after an update, the app stopped working properly, so I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Nothing worked, so I contacted the library. They just called to tell me that, since I don't own property in Sioux Falls, I'm not eligible to have a library card. I can, however, get a nonresident card for $63/year. That's for each of us!

What do other full-timers do for books? Since we are now leaseholders at The Ranch, maybe there is something available from Artesia or Carlsbad?

Edited by kb0zke

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

We have kindles and Amazon Prime. I subscribe to Bookbub listing the genres we’re interested in reading and they send a daily link of free or discounted books each day. Between that and the Prime free first of month pick I have more books than I will ever be able to read. But if I did run out there is also Prime reading where you can borrow books to read from a list that constantly changes. Besides the 2 day shipping, this is one of the additional benefits I like with Prime.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

My wife and I have library cards with e-book access with a regional library in upstate NY and the NY City Public Library (open to all NY state residents). We also have Amazon Prime and Amazon Kindle Unlimited subscriptions and subscribe to Book Bub and several other reading mailing lists featuring free and low cost e-books. We're both prolific readers... ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

23 minutes ago, Rover said:

We have kindles and Amazon Prime. I subscribe to Bookbub listing the genres we’re interested in reading and they send a daily link of free or discounted books each day. Between that and the Prime free first of month pick I have more books than I will ever be able to read. But if I did run out there is also Prime reading where you can borrow books to read from a list that constantly changes. Besides the 2 day shipping, this is one of the additional benefits I like with Prime.

Vicki

X2. We are no longer RVing but I still use Bookbub and Amazon Prime.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

When we were in an RV park in Yuma, Yuma County gave my wife a card, good for 6 months for $25.00. Now that we own an RV lot in the county it is free. She doesn't do eBooks. While traveling during the summer she uses paper back exchanges in RV parks or campgrounds etc. In fact right now we are in the Boulder City, NV. Elks Lodge RV Park. In the lodge they have a big book exchange.

I called the Artesia Public Library and found out that we can get an account with them, but not until we go back later this fall. We do have Prime, so I tried that. It looks like there is a pretty limited selection to borrow, with most books being for sale. I'll keep looking.

David Lininger, kb0zke

1 hour ago, kb0zke said:

I called the Artesia Public Library and found out that we can get an account with them, but not until we go back later this fall. We do have Prime, so I tried that. It looks like there is a pretty limited selection to borrow, with most books being for sale. I'll keep looking.

You really do need to check out bookbub.com. Every day they send you an email listing the cheap and free books in the genres you have chosen. I only get some of the free ones and I will never in my lifetime be able to read all I have accumulated. Even if I read two books a day I will never catch up because new ones keep coming in.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Everything is better in Texas. Just had to show that we got mail delivery which we used our Escapees mail forwarding and we got a card. Was the same in Arizona where we used to winter.

Bob & Jo
Full-timing since 09/10/2009 - SKP 99512
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350
Our blog: http://bobandjotravelblog.blogspot.com/
Our travel photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobandjotravel/sets/

We still use our library card when we had out Stick and bricks home.  As it never expires or do you need to show proof of residency every year. And download books for free when ever we want.  Most of a time there is a list for popular books, but it goes pretty fast.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Signed up with bookbub.com and chose a book. Had to argue with the Amazon sign-in some, but eventually got a book. I'm happy now.

David Lininger, kb0zke

20 hours ago, kb0zke said:

They just called to tell me that, since I don't own property in Sioux Falls, I'm not eligible to have a library card.

Wow, you actually have to OWN property in Sioux Falls to get a library card?  Guess that leaves out all the people who rent!

We both have Kindles and, besides BookBub, I use several other free/cheap ($.99, $1.99) services that send me an email every morning.  Plus, we use Prime free first-of-the-month book pick.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, Pieere said:

There is an app. called: Libby.com. I believe they are Nation wide! You do need a library card to sign up! Good Luck!

"Libby.com" brings up a site selling email services...

"Libby" (no '.com') is an Overdrive library services app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overdrive.mobile.android.libby

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch

Our library cards are still valid from when we owned our last sticknbrick up north from 2010.  So when we visit family in that area we are good to go, at least for now.  I'm sure the day is coming when they audit their records and will certainly drop us.

Since we don't use a mail service but a friends address as our own in SW Florida, we will always have our library membership in the area of our winter campground.  Another benefit of using a family member's, or a friend's address as your address when full timing.

Other than that we download onto our Kindle or once and awhile order through Amazon.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

1 hour ago, vermilye said:

My local library in Oswego, NY is part of the North Country Libraries network, which requires renewing your card every year.  They use the Overdrive system for reserving books, etc, and use the Libby app.

You might consider getting a card from the NY Public Library as well. We sometimes find e-books there that our local library Overdrive access doesn't list. 

https://www.nypl.org/library-card

Dutch