I don't want to go home.................We decided to stay another week.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

My wife Donna finally retired last December, as she was a school teacher we never left home during the miserable months as she had to work.  This year we took our first ever winter trip and have been having a wonderful time in Quartzsite, soaking up the sun, playing in the sand with the new toy a CAM AM Maverick X3, being warm and dry.  Sadly we have to leave and head back home on March 3rd, the weather in the NorWet has been and is still awful, roads closed, wrecks everywhere, even the freeways I-5, I-90 and I-82 at least one of which we will have to travel to get home have been closed for snow, ice and avalanches.  I have an appointment to get my toy hauler repaired during the 2nd week of March or I would just say the heck with it and stay  down here for another month.  A first world problem I know, but it sucks, I hate RAIN, I hate the GLOOM, we have been so happy whilst enjoying the sunshine.

Dave, Donna and Newt

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

If the repairs aren't urgent, it might be worth a phone call to the shop to see when they could reschedule you for.

Howdy Dutch,

I have thought of doing that however there is some major work that has to be done replacing body panels etc, they estimated it would take up to two weeks to do the work and I have other trips already planed and reservations made so I really do need to get the trailer fixed so I can continue to tote my toys all over the country.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, is your insurance covering the repairs, and if so, get it done elsewhere!  Even if you are paying for the repairs yourself, I can't imagine your favorite repair shop saving you enough money to make it worthwhile to spend the fuel money to get back there and to possibly endanger yourself in the process of entering all that weather!  Consider it just a touch of what full timing is!  Flexibility!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

16 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Dave, is your insurance covering the repairs, and if so, get it done elsewhere!  Even if you are paying for the repairs yourself, I can't imagine your favorite repair shop saving you enough money to make it worthwhile to spend the fuel money to get back there and to possibly endanger yourself in the process of entering all that weather!  Consider it just a touch of what full timing is!  Flexibility!

Howdy Rocky,

Insurance is covering the repair but I have a time frame to get the work done before I need the trailer again.  Parts have been ordered and received by the shop so we are locked into getting it done locally. That and we really do need to get back home as we don’t have a house sitter and in order to keep the house insurance active it needs to be occupied you can only be gone and the house vacant for a limited time before the insurance is void.

We are NEW at this there is a lot we have to learn and do before we can spend extended time away from home.  That said this trip has convinced us that we NEED to escape more often and for longer periods of time.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Prior to moving to Florida permanently we've done the snowbird "return to home" thing for over two decades. Way before my retirement while still working and running companies up north and with time down south limited. So there were various "return dates".

I can honestly tell you that whether that date was end of January, sometimes in February, beginning of March, later in March, beginning of April and later and even in May, it always sucked, sucked.....sucked....................sucked............................sucked.

As the date approached the wife would get grumpy and she would be in a really foul mood the day we would hitch up, start the truck and point it in a northward direction. And she was always right, north east was nothing to write home about (weather wise) in April and in many Mays too.

Watching a garbage weather in the middle of winter from Arizona or Florida is a unique experience that once "tasted" becomes a serious addiction and you want more and more of it, in bigger and bigger doses.

On 2/26/2019 at 9:09 PM, phoenix2013 said:

Prior to moving to Florida permanently we've done the snowbird "return to home" thing for over two decades. Way before my retirement while still working and running companies up north and with time down south limited. So there were various "return dates".

I can honestly tell you that whether that date was end of January, sometimes in February, beginning of March, later in March, beginning of April and later and even in May, it always sucked, sucked.....sucked....................sucked............................sucked.

As the date approached the wife would get grumpy and she would be in a really foul mood the day we would hitch up, start the truck and point it in a northward direction. And she was always right, north east was nothing to write home about (weather wise) in April and in many Mays too.

Watching a garbage weather in the middle of winter from Arizona or Florida is a unique experience that once "tasted" becomes a serious addiction and you want more and more of it, in bigger and bigger doses.

Back before I "re-tired" often I would fly up North (sometimes Yukon-North) and Dollymama would NOT even consider leaving our Tucson winter horse quarter'$........some friday's seemed stacked against me ever getting to Tucson.......often I would have to pick up in Moose Butt, MT , secret-box with a silver plated paperclip that was vital for whatever in Friday Harbor , WA and the Weather was so bad that the paperclip truck was late at both ends of the flight........then at 7:45 PM .....all ....I had to "do"........was get a tanker load of fuel and kick the tires and light the fires and Fly a few Hours of MORE BAD WEATHER to finally break out of clouds 3 miles of Quartzite and then wiggle around the Barry Goldwater bombing range and bounce to a stop at Ryan Field West of the Dolly-winter-camp.....I would kick the door open and fall down the steps and out on the ramp would be a couple in shorts waxing their puddle-jumper and they would have open mouth at me in knee-high-muckalucks and wolverine fur lined long-johns with a dazed look on my frost-bit-mug...... 

I would smile....... untill.......I remembered........I was due to land back in Moose Butt Monday morning at.....6:45 AM.....  

Here is the deal........you Ain't even close to being Re-tired...... untill.......you are in great weather 99.98765 percent of the entire fall, winter, spring......period..... 

Drive on......(if you don't slide into the ditch.......some geek will slide into you.... bad weather sucks)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Howdy All,

You folks have all made some good points, and I appreciate them.  Today was another GREAT day of saving the planet by burning copious amounts of fossil fuel in an effort to forestall the coming ice age.  I am going to get as much riding in as possible before heading back to the rain and gloom, I am so looking forward to this summer and the trips I have planned.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

I called the RV repair place that's going to be working on my trailer, asked them if it would a problem if the repair date was set back a week, they said no problem they are still waiting on some decals.  So we did the only reasonable thing to do, we have extended our stay in Arizona for another week.

Dave, Donna and Newt

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Just now, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I'm sure the delay is tough.....  NOT!😊

Howdy Jim,

Well the weather forecast for the Quartzsite area calls for high 70's, low 80's and sunshine over the next week, I suppose the next thing all'you'all will hear me whining about is being to hot and getting a sunburn.  At times it is a heavy cross that I bear, but I am doing the best job of it that I can.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Did you ask Newt, how far you should extend your stay?

Howdy phoenix2013,

Newt, HATES the rain, if he had a vote it would be to stay away from the NorWet forever.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

This is what us full timers put up with all the time. Flexibility. The important thing is if Donna is having a good time. I meant to ask you. Does having a passenger along mess with Newt's access to the wiener window? 

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

5 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

This is what us full timers put up with all the time. Flexibility. The important thing is if Donna is having a good time. I meant to ask you. Does having a passenger along mess with Newt's access to the wiener window? 

Brad

Howdy Brad,

Donna, IS enjoying our NorWet escape. 

Newt, has seniority, he has traveled MANY thousands of miles more then Donna ever will with me over the years, he still has full access to HIS window, Donna makes room for him, that being the case there is plenty of room for both to enjoy comfortable seating and window gazing.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hi Dave, 

I'm glad you guys are getting to enjoy another week out there. 

This is our 2nd winter in the SW and we love it. We were still getting the hang of things last winter, especially the boondocking. Now we just sit back and enjoy it. We hung out in Tonopah, AZ at Saddle Mountain BLM for about 3+ weeks and then yesterday we came to North of Phoenix and New River to the Table Mesa area. I'm going to help install some solar on a friend's rig. Our next Xscapers convergence is in Moab, UT on April 5th and so looking forward to that. I couldn't imagine having to travel back to the NW this time of year. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

1 hour ago, BlueLghtning said:

Hi Dave, 

I'm glad you guys are getting to enjoy another week out there. 

This is our 2nd winter in the SW and we love it. We were still getting the hang of things last winter, especially the boondocking. Now we just sit back and enjoy it. We hung out in Tonopah, AZ at Saddle Mountain BLM for about 3+ weeks and then yesterday we came to North of Phoenix and New River to the Table Mesa area. I'm going to help install some solar on a friend's rig. Our next Xscapers convergence is in Moab, UT on April 5th and so looking forward to that. I couldn't imagine having to travel back to the NW this time of year. 

Howdy Dan,

Now that I have Donna liking this area I will have to start working on her water and power usage boondocking at her current rate of water and power usage would be impossible.  We don’t have any solar equipment and I find it hard to spend the money for a worthwhile system.  You can’t recoup the cost when selling the trailer and other then the noise of the generator I can buy gasoline for many years of use for what a decent solar system would cost to have installed, I do NOT work on anything that involves wires or electronic devices.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Just a short video of some of the FUN we had today.  This hill is so much STEEPER then it looks in this video, going up you don't realize how steep it is, turning around at the top and coming back down is enough to give you the willies. 

https://mr-cob.smugmug.com/2018-CAN-AM-Maverick-XRC/i-jdRLrMg

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 2/28/2019 at 5:57 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy phoenix2013,

Newt, HATES the rain, if he had a vote it would be to stay away from the NorWet forever.

Dave

Well of course Newt hates the rain........fortunately my memory is a bit foggy but I once attended a birthday party in Paraguay and I was a very poor substitute for a real alcoholic-pilot so.........when I woke up in the rain under the sidewalk table in the rain ......I was about the same "altitude" as Newt is in a normal walk.........when your eyes are only 5 inches off the ground....... rain is a major pain......

On my best day I was a marginal pilot however I have never been able to get past the hangovers well enough to become even a poor drunk and of course after waking up at Newt-level in the rain I also like Newt hate the rain.....

Some of of us are failures at trying to be........failures....

Drive on..........(Newts a smart puppy.......at 5 inches "altitude".......rain is a real......pain)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Looks like you are having some fun with your SXS.  Hopefully we can do some riding together in the future.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

8 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Looks like you are having some fun with your SXS.  Hopefully we can do some riding together in the future.

Howdy Chad,

I am really looking forward to the pre WCR, we will get to share some good SxS riding there I am sure.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

If it helps Wenatchee  low temp tonight 9 degrees .  Buy this weekend highs in the low 30s snow on Wednesday up to about a 1/2 inch it is clear and 18 now lots of sun shine .We have about a foot of snow on the ground kids live in Yelm talked to them yesterday 50 degree and sunny .Don't know what's going  on over in the north west corner of the state. but I thought I would let you know what's going on here.

6 hours ago, runaway parents said:

If it helps Wenatchee  low temp tonight 9 degrees .  Buy this weekend highs in the low 30s snow on Wednesday up to about a 1/2 inch it is clear and 18 now lots of sun shine .We have about a foot of snow on the ground kids live in Yelm talked to them yesterday 50 degree and sunny .Don't know what's going  on over in the north west corner of the state. but I thought I would let you know what's going on here.

Howdy runaway parents,

I have been keeping an eye on the local Granite Falls weather and the road conditions, it looks like it will be better by the time we leave from here on March 10th.  I really don't want to have to chain up just to back up the grade into my driveway to park the trailer, but if that is what it takes I guess I'll have to. ☹️

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

19 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy runaway parents,

I have been keeping an eye on the local Granite Falls weather and the road conditions, it looks like it will be better by the time we leave from here on March 10th.  I really don't want to have to chain up just to back up the grade into my driveway to park the trailer, but if that is what it takes I guess I'll have to. ☹️

Dave

Bring some warm weather with you please.  Its clear here today a and 25 little Smokey  from a warehouse fire in  Peshastin. I think after this week things should start warming up. Cant wait for spring to get here. Have a safe trip welcome back to Washington.

Archived