I don't want to go home.................We decided to stay another week.

mr. cob

4 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Bring some warm weather with you please.  Its clear here today a and 25 little Smokey  from a warehouse fire in  Peshastin. I think after this week things should start warming up. Cant wait for spring to get here. Have a safe trip welcome back to Washington.

Howdy runaway parents,

Well, I can bring back a trailer load of warmth and sunshine but as soon as I open the garage door it will escape, I doubt any will make it to your side of the hump.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy runaway parents,

Well, I can bring back a trailer load of warmth and sunshine but as soon as I open the garage door it will escape, I doubt any will make it to your side of the hump.

Dave

Darn!!!!!!!!! Thanks any way  we are going to  49ers weekend  in Winthrop mothers  day weekend .Will be staying at pine near rv park   it is usually a fun weekend the park is big rig friendly. And walking distance to town . Who knows might run into you some where.

2 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Darn!!!!!!!!! Thanks any way  we are going to  49ers weekend  in Winthrop mothers  day weekend .Will be staying at pine near rv park   it is usually a fun weekend the park is big rig friendly. And walking distance to town . Who knows might run into you some where.

Howdy runaway parents,

I really like the Republic-Winthrop area, have ridden motorcycles there for many years.  Now that I am ADDICTED to this new toy I am going to be doing some research to see if there are trails I can drive it on over that way if there is I'll be spending time there this summer.  When you have time let me know the name of the RV Park talking about, thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

11 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy runaway parents,

I really like the Republic-Winthrop area, have ridden motorcycles there for many years.  Now that I am ADDICTED to this new toy I am going to be doing some research to see if there are trails I can drive it on over that way if there is I'll be spending time there this summer.  When you have time let me know the name of the RV Park talking about, thanks.

Dave

Good morning Dave. Here is the name of the rv park that we stay at in Winthrop. Pine Near Rv park & camp ground phone(509)341-4062 great people. Might call ahead and make reservations. If still ride your dirt bike Conconelly might be a good place  been into Liars cove .Kind of tight .There is a state park there also . If you want to do some boon docking may be Salmon meadows  not sure . Better do your research on this one. Another place we have stayed is at Black beach resort  near Republic.

Dave, I'd be putting nets on the sides to retain your "limbs" if you roll it. You will be SUPER HAPPY you did the first time you put it over.  Ask me how I know....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Dave & Crew,

Just placed 46,000 lbs of gravel on your parking spot here at Dolly-Camp so you could stop by for a few days (or weeks) on your way North..........perhaps I could cast a evil-eye on the rig and get Big5er to send one of those big RED Out-Of-Service-Stickers on the Pete and then you could be stuck here for the super-bloom of Death Valley wild flowers.........

Just to give you a preview of your trip to the Nor-Cold-SNOOO-WET.........we could take the Rock-Rocket UP......UP.....UP Wheeler Pass (20 miles East) until the SNOOO is about THREE feet deep..........bet Newt really hates THREE feet of SNOOO .......I sure do.......(our slum in Bend had almost FOUR FEET of SNOO in Feb)!!

Anyhow your parking space is improved a lot and better get here before the Rattlers and Scorps start swarming......in the WARM SUN.......

We will leave the light on for you........you know the trail to......Last Chance Peak.....

Drive on...........(Don't pet the camp...........Rattler)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On 3/5/2019 at 6:54 AM, runaway parents said:

Good morning Dave. Here is the name of the rv park that we stay at in Winthrop. Pine Near Rv park & camp ground phone(509)341-4062 great people. Might call ahead and make reservations. If still ride your dirt bike Conconelly might be a good place  been into Liars cove .Kind of tight .There is a state park there also . If you want to do some boon docking may be Salmon meadows  not sure . Better do your research on this one. Another place we have stayed is at Black beach resort  near Republic.

Howdy rp,

I sold my dirt bikes a few years back, my balance ain't what it used to be, couldn't find anyone my age to ride with and trying to keep up with the youngsters brought me a lot more pain then it did enjoyment.  We have stayed at many of the State Parks in that area when I had a pickup with a slide in camper and a much smaller trailer, getting into the State Parks with my present setup is pretty hard to do if not impossible in many of the older Parks.  Thanks for the RV Park information, I can't recall the name of the RV Park but there is one near Twisp, on the river that will accommodate rigs our size we have stayed there a couple of times, nice place and reasonable in price.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

13 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Dave, I'd be putting nets on the sides to retain your "limbs" if you roll it. You will be SUPER HAPPY you did the first time you put it over.  Ask me how I know....

Howdy Jack,

Very good advice, thank you.  I have been in a few roll overs myself back in my stock car racing days and quite a few time whilst Jeeping.  I think in most situations I would be aware to hang on to the steering wheel but if something were to happen at speed where centrifugal force would throw your arms out the nets would be a great safety advantage.  Donna on the other hand has no experience with such things and its human nature to want to extend your arm-hand in such situations so safety nets are something I will give serious consideration to installing as I continue to set this rig up the way I want it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

8 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Dave & Crew,

Just placed 46,000 lbs of gravel on your parking spot here at Dolly-Camp so you could stop by for a few days (or weeks) on your way North..........perhaps I could cast a evil-eye on the rig and get Big5er to send one of those big RED Out-Of-Service-Stickers on the Pete and then you could be stuck here for the super-bloom of Death Valley wild flowers.........

Just to give you a preview of your trip to the Nor-Cold-SNOOO-WET.........we could take the Rock-Rocket UP......UP.....UP Wheeler Pass (20 miles East) until the SNOOO is about THREE feet deep..........bet Newt really hates THREE feet of SNOOO .......I sure do.......(our slum in Bend had almost FOUR FEET of SNOO in Feb)!!

Anyhow your parking space is improved a lot and better get here before the Rattlers and Scorps start swarming......in the WARM SUN.......

We will leave the light on for you........you know the trail to......Last Chance Peak.....

Drive on...........(Don't pet the camp...........Rattler)

Howdy Mike,

Your NOT helping in the miserable decision to go back to the NorWet.  If I didn't have to have the repair work done to the trailer in order to be ready for all the trips I have planned I would take you up on your most generous off of temporary homesteading.  Taking the Rock Rocket over the pass your talking about sounds like a really GREAT ride and one that I would agree to do in a new york minute if circumstances didn't stand in the way. 

I would like to take a rain check on your offer and will redeem it at a later date, Donna and I are already working on where to go and what to do next winter,  you can take it to the bank we will wander your way again.  Thanks so much for the offer of hospitality.

Dave, Donna and Newt

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Mike,

Your NOT helping in the miserable decision to go back to the NorWet.  If I didn't have to have the repair work done to the trailer in order to be ready for all the trips I have planned I would take you up on your most generous off of temporary homesteading.  Taking the Rock Rocket over the pass your talking about sounds like a really GREAT ride and one that I would agree to do in a new york minute if circumstances didn't stand in the way. 

I would like to take a rain check on your offer and will redeem it at a later date, Donna and I are already working on where to go and what to do next winter,  you can take it to the bank we will wander your way again.  Thanks so much for the offer of hospitality.

Dave, Donna and Newt

Dave and Crew,

As you can see in the image below.........invites to Last Chance Peak Dolly Camp can be........fleeting -events.......

KtxwYtMl.jpg

Now of course perhaps we could cobble a snorkel on the old Pete and you could power through your most favorite 11'-3" wide gate and gurgle through Lake-Dolly and then land on my Brand New Gravel RV pad.........maybe best to have Newt dog paddle across the lake so he would not be trapped in the Pete IF it does not make it across the lake........

WTnoSCBl.jpg

Back in the stone age as a Slave-boy-pilot (copilot) I was in charge of EVERYTHING that could go WRONG on EVERY flight........we were in the middle of the largest ocean there is and the weather was NOT nice as forcast..........the grumpy-geezer-captain .......glared over at me and said........."IF we ever get out of this mess alive..........you need to go see the Weather-Witchdoctor.........and......make sure you pick up better weather forecasts in the future".........gulp

So you see Dave EVERYTIME I contact you..........It RAINS cats and Newts here on the edge of Death Valley.............maybe we BOTH need to go see the ...........Weather-Witchdoctor.......

Get Newts water-wings ready.........

Drive on................(Dial.........ONE-EIGHT-HUNDRED-Weather-Witchdoctor.......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

5 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

Dave and Crew,

As you can see in the image below.........invites to Last Chance Peak Dolly Camp can be........fleeting -events.......

KtxwYtMl.jpg

Now of course perhaps we could cobble a snorkel on the old Pete and you could power through your most favorite 11'-3" wide gate and gurgle through Lake-Dolly and then land on my Brand New Gravel RV pad.........maybe best to have Newt dog paddle across the lake so he would not be trapped in the Pete IF it does not make it across the lake........

WTnoSCBl.jpg

Back in the stone age as a Slave-boy-pilot (copilot) I was in charge of EVERYTHING that could go WRONG on EVERY flight........we were in the middle of the largest ocean there is and the weather was NOT nice as forcast..........the grumpy-geezer-captain .......glared over at me and said........."IF we ever get out of this mess alive..........you need to go see the Weather-Witchdoctor.........and......make sure you pick up better weather forecasts in the future".........gulp

So you see Dave EVERYTIME I contact you..........It RAINS cats and Newts here on the edge of Death Valley.............maybe we BOTH need to go see the ...........Weather-Witchdoctor.......

Get Newts water-wings ready.........

Drive on................(Dial.........ONE-EIGHT-HUNDRED-Weather-Witchdoctor.......)

Howdy Mike,

Well, maybe I can talk you into accepting your new found water rights in exchange for a 20' by 100' section of your back yard to use as occasional parking. 

Now that gate, that is another can of fish that needs to be negotiated, its not the width of the gate its the angle of the turns that must be made whilst backing into and driving out of the guest RV spot.  Drive on............or drive through the fence................

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I made a quick trip to Albirda this week. -30C and clear this spring morning. Sun warms the day. Warming up next week. Oh and the loader tractor went stuck yesterday morning in the weekend’s blown snow (noteven me runnin it) so an hour of shobbelling fwozen snow out from under the loader frame, drawbar, and front drive axle and tractor 2 wearing chains was able to extract it rolling into 8 feet of slack in the big tow strap...

Anyway I’m saying to h e double hockey sticks with this nonsense and heading south agin.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

8 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Mike,

Well, maybe I can talk you into accepting your new found water rights in exchange for a 20' by 100' section of your back yard to use as occasional parking. 

Now that gate, that is another can of fish that needs to be negotiated, its not the width of the gate its the angle of the turns that must be made whilst backing into and driving out of the guest RV spot.  Drive on............or drive through the fence................

Dave

Dave .......Funny you mentioned ........"your-favorite-gate".........the gravel tractor was a Pete tugging a 70 foot end dump and he "muttered" a few choice words as he ........."angled" .......thru-tha-gate...........Must be a Pete thing........the Freightshaker and OLD DP know better than to get too close to the gate.....

Stopped raining nine minutes ago.........lake is half size.........by lunch time it will be no lake but a mud-hole with mud that is more sticky than honey............in two days it will be dust-bowl........

Update .....16:15 swamp is gone so Newt will just have a small muddle-puddle to roll in.........Desert is amazing......

Drive on..........(Don't like the weather??.........just wait two hours.......complete nuther-season.....)

7 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy rp,

I sold my dirt bikes a few years back, my balance ain't what it used to be, couldn't find anyone my age to ride with and trying to keep up with the youngsters brought me a lot more pain then it did enjoyment.  We have stayed at many of the State Parks in that area when I had a pickup with a slide in camper and a much smaller trailer, getting into the State Parks with my present setup is pretty hard to do if not impossible in many of the older Parks.  Thanks for the RV Park information, I can't recall the name of the RV Park but there is one near Twisp, on the river that will accommodate rigs our size we have stayed there a couple of times, nice place and reasonable in price.

Dave

Hey Dave I believe it is called Rivers  Bend. I think it is the camp ground resource guide. we have stayed there nice place.

Howdy All,

Well, the good times are over, the Smart Car, is loaded behind the sleeper, the Rock Crawler, is tied down in the garage of the toy hauler, pre-run check has been done to the Pete, all that's left to do before we leave tomorrow morning March 10th, is bring in the slides, roll up the water hose and power cord, drain the tanks and hit the road.

We have had a GREAT time, enjoyed every day, met some fantastic people, Life at this point in time is very good and I am thankful for having been blessed in such a manner.  Now begins the slog back home to the rain and the gloom but for the next few days I'll be listening to that big Yeller Kitty sing its song as the miles and mountain grades flow beneath us.  Thanks to those who have extended hospitality to us on this trip, thanks to those who replied to this thread I have enjoyed reading your thoughts and suggestions.

Gonna take a shower, eat some grub, watch a movie on Netflix and get some sleep, good night all, its been a heck of a ride.

Oh before I forget, I put 1,237 miles on the Rock Crawler, while in the Quartzsite area, and more smiles then I could ever keep track of.

Dave, Donna and Newt

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 3/9/2019 at 8:48 PM, Danandfreda said:

Have a safe trip met you in hutch give newt  a pat for us

Howdy Danandfreda,

Thanks for the well wishes, yup I'll pat that dog for you folks, he'll love it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Well, we are back home in the NorWet. 

The weather and roads were good on the first day, we made 703 miles before we camped in a rest stop.  Second day everything was OK until we crossed the I-5 bridge from Oregon into Washington, I am NOT kidding where the signs says "Welcome to Washington", the rain started, I swear in the 33 years I have traveling out of and back into Washington 90% of the time when I cross the State line its either raining or within a few miles the rain starts no matter what time of year.

We spend the second night in the parking lot of "Spiffys Restaurant" just east of I-5 on exit number 68, I highly recommend this restaurant, it was pouring down rain and 37 degrees.  Woke up the next morning, ate a great breakfast at Spiffys, and headed north toward home.  From where we left off of I-5 and traveled east  on I-405 a distance of about 30 miles or so before it again hooks up to I-5 it was raining hard and traffic was so backed up it took over two hours to cover that short distance.

We stopped at a rest area, dumped the holding tanks, stopped at the truck stop to fill the fuel tanks, in preparation for the next trip and drove the remaining 17 miles to our home, 2 miles from home it started to snow.  I was lucky and didn't have to chain up to back up the slight hill into our driveway, the tires were spinning but we made it up the grade and into my parking area, home at last, 1:31PM, March 12th.

So, here we are, thankful for the short time we had AWAY from the rain and gloom, dreaming of next year and the MONTHS we will spend escaping from the NorWet.  Donna so enjoyed this trip, she now knows why I had such a hard time coming back home when I took my fall trip the last five years part of which was the National HDT Rally in Kansas.  I usually got home about the 2nd week of November after visiting with friends who live in the southwest, during our nightly phone calls I would tell her how I hated to come back north, now she knows WHY.

So this particular saga comes to an end, had a great time, met some wonderful people, life is truly GOOD and I am grateful to have the chance to enjoy it.

Dave, Donna and Newt

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

13 minutes ago, dan412 said:

Welcome home Dave I saw you in Bellevue on your way north nice looking setup.

Howdy Dan,

Were you caught up in that traffic mess, I simply can't understand how folks can deal with such things everyday. 

While in Arizona I cleaned the truck and trailer, a guy came through the campground asking folks if they needed any polishing done, I had him do some work on the tool and battery boxes, now after driving through all the rain and muck on the road the rig is filthy again.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, glad your home safe and sound, I know how you fee,l when we head west I hate when we return home, heck I went west to ski last year for 2 months at Taos New Mexico with my son and skipped this year but are counting the days when I head back.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Howdy All,

Well, there might be something to the Cat making a wake, piercing the Polar Vortex and signs of spring happening in some parts of the country, when I dropped the ramp on the toy hauler to unload the Rock Crawler,  that trailer load of Arizona sunshine escaped, this caused a slight warming and a lightening of the gloom here in Granite Falls. 

Now its time to unload everything and get the trailer ready to be dropped off at the repair shop.  Which reminds me I haven't yet told the tale of WHY the trailer needs to be repaired, it involves towing over the mountains to eastern Washington to play with the Rock Crawler in the snow with other like minded idiots who also drive SxS.  Yes I have photos of the debacle, believe me when I tell you it could have been MUCH worse.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived