Shopping for diesel pusher

casey61610

DP tires are pretty rugged, much more dependable than trailer tires.  Normally see tags on 42-45 footers, sometimes on heavy 40 footers.  Tires are usually OTR Truck tires and you have dualies  on the rear axle.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Newmar Dutchstar has one with a tag that is only 40 ft, and the 45s all have a tag I think. Tiffin 45 ft has a tag, 40 ft does not. I have a 2015 Itasca 42 ft with a tag I purchased and traded in my 5th wheel. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Pretty much anything over 40' go to tags (Tiffin also has a 42' with tag) and some heavy 40'ers do as well. We went from a 40' non tag to a 42' tag and love the extra stability on the road and the added cargo capacity (weight wise).. 

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

On 2/26/2019 at 6:34 PM, casey61610 said:

Looking at going from fifth-wheel to Class A , diesel pusher and not seeing any with a double back axle or tag axle . Can anyone suggest a particular one that does? Concerned if had a flat, gonna tear up the unit bc it would drag the ground!

Buy and install a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) https://tsttruck.com//shop.html?market_application=24

The above TPMS just screws on to your tire valve stem and monitors the pressure and temperature of your tires.  The vast majority of flats or blowouts on motorhomes come from low tire pressure.  

In the occasional case of a tire blowout, with proper tire pressure, you will know it instantly and will pull over and stop.   The back of the RV is not going to drop onto the ground. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

You just received about 5 or 6 either outdated or false facts reference Newmar and Tiffin.

All Newmar DP models have tag axles starting at the 40' length.  Tiffin I believe start having tags at 43' and above on DP models.  Both manufacturers have numerous models in their DP line.  Newmar uses Freightliner and Spartan chassis, Tiffin has their own.  Newmar's tag axle is actually a steering tag whereas the last time I checked Tiffin was not.

Anyone that tells you a 2 axle heavy DP drives better than a tag axle DP either has never driven both or is just making stuff up.  I can drive longer distances without a break in my tag axle coach than I can in my car.

Tires will not be an issue for you.  Your modern DP coaches are usually equipped with 22.5 rims/tires that are manufactured for the weight and speed.  They are generally not big rig tires but made and marketed for large DPs.

If you are wanting a DP brand (family owned) that stands behind their products then IMHO Newmar and Tiffin would be a good place to start, new or used. 

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I'll just add to the string that you can find DP's with tags down to 37-38'. Foretravel and Country Coach are two that I can think of that had Tag's that short. One advantage of Tag DP's, is that the Drive axle is moved forward, so you end up with a higher turning radius. 

Over the years, their have been many different chassis in DP's. Very possible that an entry level coach with a Tag, may have had a less then stellar handling ride. And heck, remember that some gasser Class A's had tags, non raisable, added to increase rear load carrying. But in general, a tag coach is going to give more stability on the highway, and higher overall CCC.

Suggest you come up with budget range, think about the Must Have's and Nice to Have's that a DP should be equipped with for you. Then start asking more specific questions about which coaches match budget and what you're looking for. 

Think about some of these items: Tag vs non tag; Side vs Rear Radiator; Exhaust vs Jake Compression Braking Assist; CCC requirements; Towing weight requirements; Slides, and how many; Number of bathrooms you want; IFS vs Beam Front Ends; Tank Capacities; Water Heater & Furnace vs Aqua or Hydro Hot systems; Number of AC units; Dinette vs Table Chairs; Pass Thru Storage Bays; Slide out bays; etc, etc.

Best of luck on your hunt,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Fl-Joe,  just an FYI; a lot of manufacturers put OTR tires on their coaches as OEMs.  Alpine put Toyos on, and that is what has been on our coach since 2002.  We currently have run the Toyo M-154 on and have been pleased with the tires.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Toyo M-154's are a decent RV tire and widely used by many DP owners when it comes time to replace OEM.  I think it is considered more of a cross-over between heavy duty truck tire and RV tire.  They are much cheaper than Michelin, which in recent years is what most DPs come from the factory with.  They do get good reviews.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 2/28/2019 at 8:51 AM, Smitty77_7 said:

Think about some of these items: Tag vs non tag; Side vs Rear Radiator; Exhaust vs Jake Compression Braking Assist; CCC requirements; Towing weight requirements; Slides, and how many; Number of bathrooms you want; IFS vs Beam Front Ends; Tank Capacities; Water Heater & Furnace vs Aqua or Hydro Hot systems; Number of AC units; Dinette vs Table Chairs; Pass Thru Storage Bays; Slide out bays; etc, etc.

One suggestion is that you focus on the "creature comfort" aspects (kitchens, bathroom(s), overall layout) before you worry about things like "tag' vs "non-tag", IFS vs Beam Front, etc.   Our Beaver is a non-tag, beam axle model and it drives beautifully.  I'm not going to get into a debate with those who are convinced that it can't possibly drive as well as a tag, IFS model.   Frankly, our enormous kitchen and huge, split bathroom make up for any perceived driving deficiencies IMO.   We carry a full complement of kitchen appliances, which is great because we love to cook (and eat).  And our shower is bigger than the one in our last S&B.  

Deciding on a MH is a compromise unless you have virtually unlimited funds.  As I was taught as an engineering manager, don't let "better" be the enemy of "good enough."  Maybe I could find a better driving coach than I have, but what I have is quite acceptable and I couldn't reproduce its other attributes at a price that would be affordable for us. JMO

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Another factor, how much time to you spend driving compared to living in the unit.    We don’t have the greatest turning radius and I might grumble once a year about it.  You quickly learn the quirks in handling and plan accordingly.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, docj said:

One suggestion is that you focus on the "creature comfort" aspects (kitchens, bathroom(s), overall layout) before you worry about things like "tag' vs "non-tag",

For a fulltimer, if you can't live comfortably in it while parked, it isn't a good choice. When you look at the hours spent living in it or driving it, living is much longer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Several points in the order in which they came to mind, not necessarily in order of importance.

1. Floor plan first. Since there are only so many ways to arrange a box, you can find a plan that works for you and then look for that plan in whatever brand you want.

2. AFAIK, Foretravel did not build anything shorter than 40' with a tag. At 40' they have tag and non-tag models. Longer than 40' all have tags. You will have more basement space in a non-tag.

3. Bluebird Wanderlodges came in 36', 38', and 40' tag models.

4. Main reason for a tag is weight.

5. Perhaps more important than tag vs no tag is inboard vs outboard air bags. Outboard is generally preferred, but usually found only in higher-end coaches.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I don't understand why someone would choose a floorplan first.  Choose a manufacturer that makes a good product THEN choose a floorplan from what they offer.  What good is a floorplan if the RV falls apart around it?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I don't understand why someone would choose a floorplan first.  Choose a manufacturer that makes a good product THEN choose a floorplan from what they offer.  What good is a floorplan if the RV falls apart around it?

By looking at floorplans you develop an understanding of what can be done with the available space.  You will see plans that you dislike entirely, regardless of brand.  That, at least, tells you something.  When you find plans that you like, even if they're not from a manufacturer you prefer, it gives you a template of what you're looking for in some brand.

Otherwise you get yourself into the mode of deciding "I want to buy a Brand X but I really don't like their floorplans; so I guess I'll buy the one I find least objectionable!"  IMO that's not a good way to buy an RV you intend to spend a lot of time in. 

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, docj said:

By looking at floorplans you develop an understanding of what can be done with the available space.  You will see plans that you dislike entirely, regardless of brand.  That, at least, tells you something.  When you find plans that you like, even if they're not from a manufacturer you prefer, it gives you a template of what you're looking for in some brand.

Otherwise you get yourself into the mode of deciding "I want to buy a Brand X but I really don't like their floorplans; so I guess I'll buy the one I find least objectionable!"  IMO that's not a good way to buy an RV you intend to spend a lot of time in. 

I still don't understand.  So.... I want to buy a Beaver MH but they don't have a floorplan like the Jayco so I'll buy a Jayco.  (Nothing against Jayco but just sayin'.)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

You LIVE in the floorplan every day. Personally, it could be the top of the line, most wonderful unit ever, but if I'm not happy with the layout, I'm never going to enjoy living there on an everyday basis. I think that's a fairly common perspective. Jay

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I still don't understand.  So.... I want to buy a Beaver MH but they don't have a floorplan like the Jayco so I'll buy a Jayco.  (Nothing against Jayco but just sayin'.)

No, I'll continue to look at plans until I find an "acceptable" plan from an "acceptable" (to me) manufacturer.  

FWIW, we have an exceptionally large kitchen (which is one of the reasons we liked the MH we have).  IMHO most MH kitchens in current models are rather limited in counter and pantry space (partly because of the space needed for that "essential" half bath).  To us, the small kitchens are such a turn-off that we've been dissuaded from even considering "moving up" even if we could afford or justify the cost. JMO

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

There are only so many ways to arrange the interior of a box, so chances are that several manufacturers have very similar floorplans. By finding those floorplans that fit your lifestyle you can stick you head in the door and say yes or no. The quality is a different issue. By finding those manufacturers that have a suitable quality level for you, and knowing what floorplans you like, you can very quickly narrow down your choices.

Jo Ann likes to watch television. I don't. She sits in a place that isn't too uncomfortable for tv watching. I sit elsewhere. In fact, I'm usually sitting with my back to it. The Airstreams we want have the television directly opposite the couch, so she can sit facing the tv. I'll be at the other end of the couch on the computer.

Doc makes a good point above. Some people rarely use the kitchen for cooking, but want/need the half bath. Others are the other way around.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived