Maybe light on front axle.

GlennWest

I have posted here before about my truck wandering. Have to constantly correct. Well we pulled out today. Fuel at 1/4 tank. Wandering badly. Put $300 in it. 3/4 tank. Night and day difference in driving. Not right but not a handfull. Definitely a big improvement. Never weighed mine but singled on mid position of the tandems. Maintained orginal wheelbase. Pin is 150" from back of cab. My Teton pin is heavy but lots on here is more than mine. The ride height is adjustable on my front axle. Thoughts

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, I have no idea as to your measurements but if your hitch weight is 5000 lbs and is 5 feet behind the center of the wheel then it will relieve 5000 lbs 5 feet in front of the wheel half that at 10 feet and half again at 15 feet so 1250 pounds. That is if my brain is still working at 10:30 PM. 

That is with Smart loaded. Most all of car in front of the axle. I don't have a lot of room for the Smart. I had it built just enough. I did one time leave a little more clearance loaded and got a little paint on my front cap. So it's not overboard at all. I was told today by a retired trucker that raising or lowering front ride height usually corrects this. Had never heard of this before. I hadn't even noticed the ride height adjuster before he showed it to me.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Also always heared singling long would overload front axle. That why mine centered. Urs my pin was 5ish. It should a little less now since heavy items, my tools, went in truck boxes. They are in front of rear axle.

The actual weights are what is needed to determine what is going on.  What engine do you have?   My Volvo has the pin nearly 9' behind the tandem axle center and even with the Teton it drives fine.  The engine is an ISX so it is heavy.  The front axle is supported by springs and that also makes a difference.  Get the front axle weights with the Teton on and see what you are dealing with.  Anything else is just a guess.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Mine is a Detroit 14L. Have no idea of heavy or lite compared to others. My main problem with weighing is I always in a hurry. Never would have guessed it was the problem. Those full tanks says so though.

I had a similar issue with having to work to keep it going straight.  I checked for play in the steering box, that was fine.  Solution, the toe in was way off, like 1/4" + of toe.  After attempting the simple adjustment, I determined why it was not adjusted.  It was rusted solid.   After I could move it, set the toe, now it goes straight down the road.

My pin is back a ways as well but I still have almost 10K on the front all hooked and loaded.

Rich

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Glenn,

Agree mostly with those that say probably not an unloading issue.  Remember the mid position singling is the fulcrum.  5000#  5 foot back on the lever arm should minimally affect the front axle.  I have the formulas I’ll post for you later on so you can figure it yourself.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Glenn,

Here is the formula with mid singling.  You can calculate present weight then unloading.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/levers-d_1304.html

Assuming your front axle is say 180" (15") from rear axle and your pin is 60' (5") behind at a 5000# pin weight you should only be unloading roughly 33% off front axle or roughly 1666#s.  That is with no weight ahead of the fulcrum such as smart, drom, fuel etc.  Again you need weights to get a good picture.

On edit:  Last year DollyTrolly sent me a spreadsheet that will calculate the unloading on the front axle if you have weights.  Maybe he will chime in.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Glenn, a quick way to estimate under or over inflation is to chalk a line across the tread and then drive it straight. You won't need to go far maybe less than 100 ft, then see if the chalk is worn more on the out side, too soft or in the middle, too hard. You are looking for even where.  If worn only on one side you may have an alignment issue.  Don't forget the rear axle track bar when my truck was still tandem one was very loose and it would wonder. 

Do the chalk thing on the rear as well.

3 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Glenn,

On edit:  Last year DollyTrolly sent me a spreadsheet that will calculate the unloading on the front axle if you have weights.  Maybe he will chime in.

Good morning Glenn,

Not much call for weight and balance calculations in the last year since Facebook has taken over much of the HDT chats ......however.......if you would like to try your hand at calculating your weight(s) and balance(s) just PM me your email address and I will dust off a copy of the spreadsheet and guidelines and email them to you.......

Drive on.........Try to keep between the ditches.........

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

4 hours ago, Scrap said:

How to set ride height is on page 52.  Cheating high wanders and cheating low bump steers.

https://www.hendrickson-intl.com/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?guid=8f8d8325-3dfb-4527-a7e5-b0cefeb4e02a

Thanks

Archived