Hard Wired Internet

We are new to this forum and would like to see if we can find anyone with the information that we are looking for.  We had lived in our RV for over 3 years and then went back to a stick home and now thinking about traveling from the North to South each year, basically, snowbirds.  Here is the scenario, the wife works from home for a company that requires that we have a wired internet connection and for us to use a ethernet cable from the modem to her computers.  Is there any RV parks where we can get a direct cable coming into our RV and then hook up to the modem for the hard wired internet?  We realize we would have to pay for this and her minimum requirements are 20 mbps on download and 5 on the upload and also preferably no data cap as she can use over half of a TB just herself.  We would appreciate any information as to what parks might have this both in the South, preferably Texas and closer to Houston.  As for North, either South Dakota or Minnesota.  Thanks for the consideration and we welcome any and all responses.  In fact, this will dictate if we can get out of the stick house because if we can not find a solution for traveling, then we will be stuck in the stick house and we would prefer to travel.

Parks with cable supplied are out there, but it's not overly common. More common in the snowbird areas, than north.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

In the Rio Grande Valley (RGV), those parks that have Time Warner/Spectrum or ATT for internet will usually let you put these on "vacation hold" for up to (6) months when not there and resume when you arrive back, ie, snowbirds,  There is usually only a low minimal mthly charge when not being used.  The RGV has well over 200 + parks to choose from and is quite affordable for stays of 3-6 months in an rv.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

The requirement is for a wired connection from the modem to her computer.  That modem can be a device located within the RV.

Get a MiFi type modem with an ethernet port and a Verizon grandfathered unlimited (ie Non-Throttleable)(Avail on Ebay for ~ $100 - $130/month) (Ask the ebay seller for a modem recommendation.)

You then meet the hardwiring requirements and are online everywhere and D/L speeds are usually ~28 MPBS

Thanks for the comments so far.  We understand that we would have to either set up our own service with the Internet Provider or pay an additional fee if the park provides it and we are ok with this.  We are hoping that we can get some names of places that has it wired to the outside box so that we can arrange for the internet provider to set us up for her wired internet.  As for the MiFi, we have read about it and it is not something we would risk as that the download 28 mbps during peak times can drop and her upload needs to be 5 mbps.  Even where we are presently in a stick house, we have 100 mbps download and 10 on the upload and during busy hours, we lose about 30% so then she is down to 70 mbps on the download and 7 mbps on the upload.  So, we have to make sure that she can meet her job requirements as she loves the work and the benefits are AWESOME.  We are looking forward to more comments and appreciate it greatly.

1 hour ago, jc2 said:

In the Rio Grande Valley (RGV), those parks that have Time Warner/Spectrum or ATT for internet will usually let you put these on "vacation hold" for up to (6) months when not there and resume when you arrive back, ie, snowbirds,  There is usually only a low minimal mthly charge when not being used.  The RGV has well over 200 + parks to choose from and is quite affordable for stays of 3-6 months in an rv.

Do you have the site as we would like to see where these are located?  Thanks in advance

Northlake Village Roanoke, TX (DFW Area) Spectrum cable available.

Palmdale RV Resort Los Fresnos, TX (RGV - Brownsville area) Time Warner cable available.

Just look at parks in the area that you are interested in and give them a call if the information isn't on their web site. But I believe that you will find quite a few parks in the RGV area that will fulfill your requirements.

Mike

Full Time Since 2013

2014 MS 38RSSB3

2018 Ram 3500 Dually, Auto Level Air Ride, Aisin 3.73

We really liked Palmdale RV Resort in Los Fresnos, TX. Great place for the winter. Nice large sites and very nice people. 

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

2 hours ago, rynosback said:

I use a ZTE Mobley (hot spot) and run it through my WiFi Ranger Go AC.  There are several gigabite ports so you can hard wire if you need to.

Unless you disable the wi-fi function on the Mobley and tether it to the Ranger via a hard  wired USB cable, she will have a security violation since one leg in her communication (Between the Ranger and MIfi) is via wireless.

Edited by DuffMan

As others have said, there are definitely parks with wired service to local providers. We've used that at Palm Creek in Casa Grande Arizona and paradise island in ft Lauderdale Florida. BUT, 25 mbps down or 5 up is going to be nigh impossible. The wired connections in an RV park fluctuate just as much and get congested just like wireless.

Fulltime RV Travelers since 2003. Now touring the country in 37 ft Gulfstream Endura. With my husband, Jim, we are Geeks on Tour. We present seminars at RV rallies and computer clubs all over the country.

2 hours ago, chrisguld said:

As others have said, there are definitely parks with wired service to local providers. We've used that at Palm Creek in Casa Grande Arizona and paradise island in ft Lauderdale Florida. BUT, 25 mbps down or 5 up is going to be nigh impossible. The wired connections in an RV park fluctuate just as much and get congested just like wireless.

I use SuddenLink park cable Internet in AZ (100-unit campground) and CA (600-unit campground). Here are a couple of current speed tests:

suddenlink_speed.png

internetspeed-suddenlink1.png

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Zulu,

Thanks for your input and I know that we will have to look around, but the speed tests that you provided shows that there are places where we can get a true dedicated cable provider for the hard wired internet.  If you know of any other places we would love to hear where they are and we would be setting up the service through the internet service provider for 6 months of each year down south and then the same for the location up north.  We prefer places within 3 hours of Houston, and have found a few places in the north already as one is a mobile home park with RV lots.  Thanks for your input and hope to see more responses and as we stated, the 25 mbps download with 5 mbps upload and Zulu has shown that this does exist which gives us hope. 😎

3 hours ago, EnjoyingLife said:

. . . there are places where we can get a true dedicated cable provider for the hard wired internet.  If you know of any other places we would love to hear where they are . . .

Sounds like a project.

The two places I know of are:

• Crazy Horse Campground (Lake Havasu, AZ) -- I know SuddenLink cable and Internet is available for all the park models, but I don't know about regular campsites.
  • Highlands RV Park (Bishop, CA) -- Again, SuddenLink available at all sites. I don't know the minimum required stay to get a cable modem, but judging from the local SuddenLink office, I'd say 15 minutes would be enough (they're very good folks). Also, the introductory SuddenLink rate is $45/month (including a twin-frequency cable modem).

BTW, Highlands recently upgraded their WiFi system. Here are two speed tests: 

4 PM TEST:
    internetspeed-campgroundwifi-4pm.png

10 PM TEST:
    internetspeed-campgroundwifi-10pm.png

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

• 3 years later...

I am looking for someone with knowledge of converting my wifi to ethernet. I also need to use ethernet only. I have grandfathered verizon wireless set up in my trailer. I saw on a conversation that some one did this with a "converter". I can not find that conversation now. I have an appointment with an airstream dealership to try to do this but I am on a two month waiting list. 

I’m not sure exactly what you are asking, but I go from my cellular hotspot (Mobley) that has no physical connection ports to a router by connecting the router to the Mobley via WiFi.  The router then has Ethernet ports built into it that I use to connect several devices to via Ethernet cables.  It is pretty simple to do with the correct router.  I use a Linksys wireless capable router.  I have an older version of this.  There are other companies that make them as well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Take a look at "Travel Routers" on Amazon.  I believe they will do what you want.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=travel+router&crid=3NKE2559J4QNM&sprefix=Travel+Router%2Caps%2C259&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_13

I have used several from GL.iNet and have been quite satisfied (I am using one to make this post).

Safe Travels.

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

4 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I’m not sure exactly what you are asking, but I go from my cellular hotspot (Mobley) that has no physical connection ports to a router by connecting the router to the Mobley via WiFi.  The router then has Ethernet ports built into it that I use to connect several devices to via Ethernet cables.  It is pretty simple to do with the correct router.  I use a Linksys wireless capable router.  I have an older version of this.  There are other companies that make them as well.

Chad is this something I can connect to my Mobley?  I'm looking to be able to use more than 5 devices off my Mobley.  Would I have to contact ATT to connect or is it plug and play?  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

5 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Chad is this something I can connect to my Mobley?  I'm looking to be able to use more than 5 devices off my Mobley.  Would I have to contact ATT to connect or is it plug and play?  

I just connect my router to the Mobley WiFi signal and then connect all my other devices to the router.  My devices connect to the router through either Ethernet cables or through the WiFi network the router rebroadcasts.  With this method, there is one device connected to the Mobley (the router) and then everything else is connected to the router either wirelessly or wired.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

42 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

I just connect my router to the Mobley WiFi signal and then connect all my other devices to the router.  My devices connect to the router through either Ethernet cables or through the WiFi network the router rebroadcasts.  With this method, there is one device connected to the Mobley (the router) and then everything else is connected to the router either wirelessly or wired.

Thanks, I'll get one and give it a try.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 8/4/2021 at 9:32 AM, dennisvr said:

The Mobley has a USB connection that you can attach a router to.  There is a long thread on this topic at Howard Forums:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1894920-ZTE-Mobley-USB-Tethering-ASUS-Router-and-probably-others

I have done this using the GL-iNet routers mentioned in previous post.  It overcomes the 5 device limit, provides Ethernet connections, and some models have both 2.4 / 5 GHz.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio