Pahrump * IMPACT 1 INCH*

Vegas Teacher

I am only able to get to my truck on the weekends as it is now on the West side of Pahrump. I am taking the advice of those on the forum and getting my hands dirty, turns out when you work on one of these truck you get your whole body dirty. It is the beginning of the school day and even after "Goop" "Fast Orange" "Lava" and finger nail brush I am still finding pockets of oil and grease I missed, however it was not missed by the parent this morning at the parent teacher conference this morning when they said who are you and my daughter does not have auto shop.

So anyway I am in Pahrump, Flyer tried to get some rusted on bolts off of my semi this weekend. He had a 20 volt 1/2 inch impact with 1800ft * Lbs of break away power. We soaked them in everything known to man but they did not budge. I am looking for somebody who has a 1 inch impact. Flyer said the same thing happened to him on his truck 1/2 inch got laughed at, 3/4 inch got slight movement but it was not until they used the 1 inch impact that stuff came off. So to follow his lead I am wanting to start at the 1 inch air impact. I am  looking for a good mobile mechanic to help me. It is for the shocks on the back of the cab. They are frozen in place. I will be able to work on it next Saturday. The nut is 21mm's and the bolt on the back is in the neighborhood of 19 or 20 mm's. I do not have the impact wrench and I do not have an air compressor. So I need a good mobile mechanic.

Please P.M. me and I will give you my phone number and we can talk more. 

12 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I am only able to get to my truck on the weekends as it is now on the West side of Pahrump. I am taking the advice of those on the forum and getting my hands dirty, turns out when you work on one of these truck you get your whole body dirty. It is the beginning of the school day and even after "Goop" "Fast Orange" "Lava" and finger nail brush I am still finding pockets of oil and grease I missed, however it was not missed by the parent this morning at the parent teacher conference this morning when they said who are you and my daughter does not have auto shop.

So anyway I am in Pahrump, Flyer tried to get some rusted on bolts off of my semi this weekend. He had a 20 volt 1/2 inch impact with 1800ft * Lbs of break away power. We soaked them in everything known to man but they did not budge. I am looking for somebody who has a 1 inch impact. Flyer said the same thing happened to him on his truck 1/2 inch got laughed at, 3/4 inch got slight movement but it was not until they used the 1 inch impact that stuff came off. So to follow his lead I am wanting to start at the 1 inch air impact. I am  looking for a good mobile mechanic to help me. It is for the shocks on the back of the cab. They are frozen in place. I will be able to work on it next Saturday. The nut is 21mm's and the bolt on the back is in the neighborhood of 19 or 20 mm's. I do not have the impact wrench and I do not have an air compressor. So I need a good mobile mechanic.

Please P.M. me and I will give you my phone number and we can talk more. 

Howdy VT,

"IF" you can use it without burning the truck up, an OXY-ACT touch commonly called a "Fire Wrench" will be of great assistance when working on such things.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Wrestled some drive tires this weekend.  Glad my uncle has equipment I can barrow.  1" impact and tire tools.32381212_2151630258183976_11951284703471

32423015_2151630124850656_66251884450965

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

Try a 3/4 inch breaker bar and a six foot piece of 11/2 pipe to extend the handle this will break the bolts loose ore break them off.( who said give me a lever and I can move the world) Break them loos then go back to rattle gun to finish removing them. if you cant get them with a 6 foot get a longer pipe. DISCLAMER you are using a tool for what it is not designed for if breaker bar breaks it will be violent and sudden do not have any parts of your body in the line of fire it going to hurt a lot if the pipe hits you .Putting a pipe on a ratchet or breaker bar is over loading it put enough pressure on it. it will break .

22 minutes ago, runaway parents said:

Try a 3/4 inch breaker bar and a six foot piece of 11/2 pipe to extend the handle this will break the bolts loose ore break them off.( who said give me a lever and I can move the world) Break them loos then go back to rattle gun to finish removing them. if you cant get them with a 6 foot get a longer pipe. DISCLAMER you are using a tool for what it is not designed for if breaker bar breaks it will be violent and sudden do not have any parts of your body in the line of fire it going to hurt a lot if the pipe hits you .Putting a pipe on a ratchet or breaker bar is over loading it put enough pressure on it. it will break .

I used a 3/4 inch breaker bar from Amazon,TEKTON 15359 3/4-Inch Drive by 38-Inch Breaker Bar and one of the long pipes the flatbed tractor trailer drivers use to tighten the straps with the buckles welded on the side of the decks..

Turns out this tire knocker has a loop welded on the opposite end of the tool that fits the hand hold on the breaker bar.

I will say I was able to get a very impressive bow into the breaker bar, but it did loosen the 550 lb feet of torque on the lug nuts!!

I do not imagine the shock bolts are anywhere near 550 lbs of Torque..

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

He had a 20 volt 1/2 inch impact with 1800ft * Lbs of break away power. 

I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale cheap... Do the math

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

As Mentioned, heat is the best way to get the nuts loose without the real prospect of shearing the bolts with a big impact.   If you don't care to save them, a cut off tool works well.

I have 1/2- 3/4 and, 1 inch impact guns, the 1 inch will shear a 16 or 5/8 bolt like nothing.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I'm guessing he meant 1800 inch pounds, not foot pounds. That's only 150 foot pounds, so a good breaker bar in 1/2" will have more twist. Step up to 3/4", and stand back. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Heat on the nut helps, even a Benzomatic torch with MAP gas (Yellow tank) will help break rust.  Have some water handy if you have been spraying them with any solvent...

I have taken a torch and held it on the bolt and let an impact hammer on the nut.  The combo heat and vibration might break it loose.  

On the cleanup side of life, Dawn dish detergent works wonders on a nail brush.  If the brush isn't too course, you can scrub your arms, neck, ankles,  etc with it.  It helps.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We tried a breaker bar with a 4’ pipe extension and tried all the normal tricks.

it is true that heat would work, however, there is too much grease around the area.  Along with about a gallon of PB Blaster that VT douched his truck with.

While electric impacts are better than nothing, he just needs a decent air impact or a nut splitter.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Time to up the ante. You need to step up to a 1" drive socket, 1" breaker bar and at least a 6' pipe. If your 200 lbs x 6' = 1200 ft lbs of torque doesn't move it, it should be cut off. A full power 1" impact gun with 1/2" air line and 120 psi is only good for about 1000 foot lbs. if you want to have someone hammer on the fastener during the process you can duplicate the impact gun.

Just position everything so if it breaks, or the tool does no one gets hurt. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

4 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

It is 1200 Foot Pounds of breakaway torque.

Dewalt 1/2” Impact.

Interesting specs. 700 ft-lbs max, with 1200 ft-lbs of breakaway torque. Not sure what that means. I see these units, and Milwaukee, all the time at work, and I'm not impressed. I'm not a knuckle dragging hulk, but I can manually out torque the best of the cordless units, with a little less noise. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The real difference between a impact gun and a braker bar is the hammering of the impact gun. Those thousands of blows is what loosens a stuck nut. They make a hand impact tool but I have not seen one bigger than 1/2". The torque multiplier is something you should have in your box

Anyone try the $200 dollar 1" gun they claim 1800 lb/feet.

5 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Are you referring to a slug wrench?

I have never heard of a slug wrench what is it? I am referring to a tool which you apply torque to by hand and then hit with a hammer. They are not as good as air tools but that all we had when I was a kid. One advantage of the hand tool is that you will not brake the bolt of. I grew up in a Bultaco  motorcycle shop and we often had to use this tool to remove bolts in crankcases.

A mobile tires service might be an option. Just make sure and tell them what size socket they will need. 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I found a mobile mechanic in Pahrump. They are meeting me on Saturday. If he can't get the bolts off he is not going to charge me, if he can get the bolts off and does not have to do any major work he said he would not charge me either.

I really can't ask for more than that.

Later,

Vegas Teacher

5 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I found a mobile mechanic in Pahrump. They are meeting me on Saturday. If he can't get the bolts off he is not going to charge me, if he can get the bolts off and does not have to do any major work he said he would not charge me either.

I really can't ask for more than that.

Later,

Vegas Teacher

Don't think so but I have to ask . Could they be left handed threads? Ran into that trying to remove lug nuts on a old loadstar international .

I feel your pain . RUST = NOT MUCH FUN . Probably hot wrench time Mr Seas has a recipe for kroil haven't tried it yet but supposed to work great. Painted trk bedIit will be to weeks Thursday and just now finaly got all the paint off my hands. commercial grade paint dosent wash off you have to ware it off.

9 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Don't think so but I have to ask . Could they be left handed threads? Ran into that trying to remove lug nuts on a old loadstar international .

They are right handed threads.

8 hours ago, runaway parents said:

I feel your pain . RUST = NOT MUCH FUN . Probably hot wrench time Mr Seas has a recipe for kroil haven't tried it yet but supposed to work great. Painted trk bedIit will be to weeks Thursday and just now finaly got all the paint off my hands. commercial grade paint dosent wash off you have to ware it off.

On a grand scale, they are not that rusted.

It appears that someone may have put threadlock on them.

We cut one bolt out and it definitely did not look like it was rusted.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Archived