Thinking of moving to dark side ...

Morelli

Howdy all,

Well after lots of thoughts and unbelivable support from my honey, we are looking to move from MDT to HDT (the dark side by then oct 2018) ...  We both like the Volvo 780 (guess Volvo is now calling the 780 the new 860 and the 780 replacement is 760 ....) and configuration we have in mind easily fits work needs and some slight tweeks, our RV needs.  The commercial hitch has to stay since it will be used for work and misc hauls, did lots of measurements of local units and with minor fab work, our existing air fifthwheel installs and clears everything.  Only thing need to work out now is when not using the commercial fifthwheel, I need a deck that can bolt on and use the truck as a pickup and leaving the RV hitch clear to use.

Exciting stuff !!

Pug,

I may be jumping the gun here but Brit Mansell (bmzero) was a member here and designed and built a bolt on modular bed.  He is a bright young guy who left HDTing after getting a job offer he couldn’t refuse.  Word on the street is he is getting back into HDTing and may be offering some of his designs in the future.  Would be worth googling “Bmzero” on rvnetwork.com and just seeing what he produced.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks !!  I was floored yesterday when my Honey told me the new truck needs to be able to a car with us so she can go play when we are at rally’s !  Told her that a smart car fits across the back, seats two and has a tiny trunk ....  She said perfect ....  WOW !!  Going to hate it if I wake up from this dream ....  LOL !!

Glad to hear bmzero is coming back, was following his work and others here and got tons of ideas.  My main requirement is the bed has to be able to handle serious load when no used with a car.  Truck has to earn its keep as the current MDT does.  The bed has to be removeable to access to the commercial fifthwheel is available.  Drom box is needed to store all my tools, that is a must with or without bed.

After reviewing lots of threads about hitch placement here, looks like i will need to stretch the frame a foot on the back to slide the air ride hitch in and have it at the right hieght.    Need to be able to handle bumper tow stuff too so looking around for proper hitch to handle those loads.

Please keep the info coming, very excited and working to make sure the config is reviewed by as many people at Volvo as possible !

Couple posts come to mind

RVH just built a truck with commercial hitch, RV hitch and bumper pull 

quite a while back a fellow built a bed on a 770 that he loaded his smart on the bed locked into the commercial hitch with a fifth wheel pin on bottom of bed  

I don’t know how he secured it from rotating but sure it’s not that hard. Couple mounts off the frame with big pins or bolts  Only issue is R & R. Need a fork truck or overhead hoist?

His name is Walter on forum as security 24/7 I think 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Bill,

I have been following the RVH one from the start, concern I have it the fifth wheel still needs to slides from time to time, we are keeping the truck in a 6x4 configuration.  The other one you mentioned I have to find the post !!  Gotta see what he did.  Forklift / Crane not an issue for me.

Thanks so much for the info !!

I don't mean to be a wet blanket here, nor am I opposed to genius level fabrication.  However...If you've followed this forum for as long as you say, then you should know that insurance is an issue. More for some than others. But I can assure you that if you swap a commercial hitch off & on, that side-of-road conversation with the LEO will be an extended delight and your insurance will declare your rig commercial with all the attendant costs, forms, log books, DOT physicals, and CDL . Have people gotten by with doing that? Sure. But then again, LEO's carry more than 1 out-of-service tag.

All that aside, Welcome, come to the Rallys, and Safe Travels

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Insurance, CDL, logs and medical is not an issue for me since I have to have that for other trucks. I never said anything about swapping hitches ....  The commercial hitch can be covered with a bed for other uses or with something else with no issues.  That does not call for an out of service tag.  I do not get the point trying to be made here ....  Its not like we do have semi’s and operate them ....

Regarding a deck that uses the fifth wheel to locate, I have thought about this myself.    The concept is a deck with a kingpin and two forward mounts.      The forward mounts being a tapered stake like a fork tine on a forklift.    The deck is positioned on the fifth plate with the stakes resting on lead in ramps, with the forward movement to engage the kingpin lock the stakes are wedged into a rigid position.    The three point mount is sturdy yet quickly installed/removed.      The forward mounts would also be the initial point of location with the fifth plate covered, get the front in position, the rear follows through no guess.   

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

7 hours ago, Pug said:

Bill,

I have been following the RVH one from the start, concern I have it the fifth wheel still needs to slides from time to time, we are keeping the truck in a 6x4 configuration.  The other one you mentioned I have to find the post !!  Gotta see what he did.  Forklift / Crane not an issue for me.

Thanks so much for the info !!

I think finding the right combination will be the Challenge. So start with the simple items.

Drom box will have to frame mounted like a typical semi drom box since you want it if you do not have the bed on. One item though, you need to make sure the doors can open and clear the bed and or any headache rack on the front of the bed 

The bed can then start right behind the drom box. At the front of the bed, mount some hooks on the frame and a corresponding engagement point of the underside of the bed. Build the bed frame to be just high enough to clear the commercial hitch. Using a thick plate right over the hitch, weld a with wheel pin to the plate and use that to secure the bed. 

How far back the bed goes depends on your dimensions to allow clearance for a RV 5th wheel to pivot on the RV hitch and not hit the bed during turns and dips.

I would put stake pockets on the bed so you can easily add sides, rear and a front if needed. Adding hooks to allow you to rig to a fork truck for removal would be good too.

For a bumper pull hitch, fabricate mounts to the 1ft frame extension you are making to mount a Class C3 or larger hitch to the area below the air ride hitch. We did some for our truck before we mounted the bed which had an intergrade hitch in our new bumper.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Consider removing the commercial hitch to install the bed.  How many bolts hold the hitch?  With an impact, you can have it out of the way in a few minutes, and make the bed lower.  

Make the bed in two or more pieces, so the front portion stays on the truck when the hitch is in place.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Pug;

Whoops, didn't read your post(s) as closely as I thought I did. My mistake, and I apologize.  No excuses, but when I read the post, I got the impression that you were looking for your 1st HDT which made the agenda you described pretty ambitious. Again, my apologies.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

On 2/5/2018 at 8:30 AM, billr said:

Couple posts come to mind

RVH just built a truck with commercial hitch, RV hitch and bumper pull 

quite a while back a fellow built a bed on a 770 that he loaded his smart on the bed locked into the commercial hitch with a fifth wheel pin on bottom of bed  

I don’t know how he secured it from rotating but sure it’s not that hard. Couple mounts off the frame with big pins or bolts  Only issue is R & R. Need a fork truck or overhead hoist?

His name is Walter on forum as security 24/7 I think 

I guess I am easily entertained but I get a hoot reading about the adventures / misadventures of hauling a car the size of a shopping cart on the back of a class 8 truck / tractor........

Shucks as long as we are talking about moon-shot-complex-ways-to-load-haul-Smart ......try this one on for size.......

1) Call your local garbage company and order-up a dumpster delivered to your driveway.........

2) Wait at the end of your driveway and wait with our Smart-phone in video mode for Willy-the-dumpster-roll-off-driver to back up your driveway and WITHOUT getting outa-tha-truck he ULOADS the dumpster in your driveway and then drives away.......be quick with your video shooting because Willy wont be there long.

3) Open the back door of the dumpster and drive the Smart into the dumpster and close the back door.........

4) On your smart phone call Willy-the-dumpster-roll-off-driver and ask him to pickup the dumpster from your driveway.......

5) Wait at the end of your driveway and wait with our Smart-phone in video mode for Willy-the-dumpster-roll-off-driver to back up your driveway and WITHOUT getting outa-tha-truck Willy LOADS the Dumpster (& Smart) onto the roll-on-off- truck and drives away.......be quick with your video shooting because Willy wont be there long.

6) Follow Willy to the dump and watch Willy-the-dumpster-roll-off-driver to back up to the dump and WITHOUT getting outa-tha-truck he ULOADS the dumpster (& Smart) at the dump.......then bribe the dump trash-Kompacter-geek to not crush your Smart.........

So you see if you have a small roll-off-bed for your Volvo you just drive the Smart onto the bed as it is setting on the ground and strap it to the bed and then attach the winch-line-hook to the bed and swig-a-Dr Pepper / Crown Royal mix as the roll-off-on-bed just engages the captive track rails and then transverses over the top of the hitch and slides to a firm stop at the front end of the track and now you can have the DW drive your rig to the next camp...........

No moon-shot..........just a typical dumpster-drive.........

Drive on............(where did I leave the .....bed?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

12 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

I guess I am easily entertained but I get a hoot reading about the adventures / misadventures of hauling a car the size of a shopping cart on the back of a class 8 truck / tractor........

Shucks as long as we are talking about moon-shot-complex-ways-to-load-haul-Smart ......try this one on for size.......

1) Call your local garbage company and order-up a dumpster delivered to your driveway.........

2) Wait at the end of your driveway and wait with our Smart-phone in video mode for Willy-the-dumpster-roll-off-driver to back up your driveway and WITHOUT getting outa-tha-truck he ULOADS the dumpster in your driveway and then drives away.......be quick with your video shooting because Willy wont be there long.

3) Open the back door of the dumpster and drive the Smart into the dumpster and close the back door.........

4) On your smart phone call Willy-the-dumpster-roll-off-driver and ask him to pickup the dumpster from your driveway.......

5) Wait at the end of your driveway and wait with our Smart-phone in video mode for Willy-the-dumpster-roll-off-driver to back up your driveway and WITHOUT getting outa-tha-truck Willy LOADS the Dumpster (& Smart) onto the roll-on-off- truck and drives away.......be quick with your video shooting because Willy wont be there long.

6) Follow Willy to the dump and watch Willy-the-dumpster-roll-off-driver to back up to the dump and WITHOUT getting outa-tha-truck he ULOADS the dumpster (& Smart) at the dump.......then bribe the dump trash-Kompacter-geek to not crush your Smart.........

So you see if you have a small roll-off-bed for your Volvo you just drive the Smart onto the bed as it is setting on the ground and strap it to the bed and then attach the winch-line-hook to the bed and swig-a-Dr Pepper / Crown Royal mix as the roll-off-on-bed just engages the captive track rails and then transverses over the top of the hitch and slides to a firm stop at the front end of the track and now you can have the DW drive your rig to the next camp...........

Not mine, but saw this yesterday. No way would I do this.KQsdmUj.jpg1e2zPro.jpg4hacbSI.jpg

GCTaaehl.jpg

42 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

Dolly,

JW Morgan’s original thought was that very thing when we were talking about my bed design 8 years ago.  He was toying with doing it from the side rather than rear.  Got into a lot of $$ so we scrapped it in favor of ramps and winch.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

After looking at many posts of ideas and thinking of all sorts of slick ways of doing this which leads to expense and complexity .....  had to go back to the KISS principle ......

1. The commercial fifthwheel is really not needed installed all the time ...  Can be removed and put aside for a while.  We have an inventory of all gooseneck based trailers with kingpin

2. Two nice pieces of steel I beams with the web cut down on one side for the smart car clearance would do the trick.  The car rolls in a track very easily, ramps are widely available in a arched setup.  Drive on and drive off ....

Considering all the place I shove our forklift, skid steer and excavator ...  and the associated unexpected wild rides ...  driving a two door bucket seat mower onto a rig is a piece of cake .....  LOL !

21 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

I'll bet that's going to be set up to put a jeep up there.....wonder if any "doubling of the frame extensions will be necessary?  Do you know if they are also building the bed.

Yes, a Jeep goes up there, and yes to a bed, this is just the frame extension, I will try to make it back to this shop before I leave the area this weekend to see if any more work has been completed.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Archived