Filter or Strap Wrench

Sculptor

Hi folks, I have a quick easy question about a specific tool.  I have seen strap wrenches that are made for a ratchet wrench extension, and I have seen the type that are like an auto-size filter wrench with metal strap and handle that swings, for best leverage.  I already own a vise grip chain wrench.

The ratchet style, seem like they would be the best for a variety of sizes and locations because I think it would be hard to find the the swing room even under an HDT for a longer handle.  

Since I already own a chain type, I want to know is it easy to tear up a WABCO or other filter with it?  

Would it be better to just buy the strap that is designed for it?   Ok, flame on.....

Strap and handle type - https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-21315-Strap-Wrench/dp/B00TU3UNW8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1509388439&sr=8-10&keywords=strap+wrench+oil+filter

Ratchet type - https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-5375-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000OV31FQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509388439&sr=8-2&keywords=strap+wrench+oil+filter

Chain type I own -  https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-VISE-GRIP-Original-Locking-Chain/dp/B00004SBCB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509390030&sr=8-1&keywords=chain+vise+grip

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I have all of those, plus several more.  They all have their place. The second one is very handy around trucks and automobiles.You will find many uses for them, besides filters.

In a pinch, an old v-belt or serpentine belt, along with a good pair of vise-grips, makes a dandy filter wrench.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I personally use a rubber strap wrench (like this) for most filter changes.  I've had the metal and chain types, but have found the rubber generally does a better job of grabbing and twisting the filter without crushing it. 

There are definitely times where the handle can be a challenge (on the car more than the truck), so I've contemplated modifying one of the socket drive strap wrenches with a rubber strap eventually.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

GeorgiaHybrid will tell you only wrench that got my air dryer cartridge off was a chain strap wrench with a long handle. I tried rubber strap like David and ratchet without success. These cartridges are supposed to be hand tightened and then slightly more. So I would have the ratchet and chain for assurances. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

OK, other than the mess- why would you care if you tear up an old filter? You shouldn't be using it to put the new one on, anyway. I had a fuel filter plug on the road, and finally drove a screwdriver thru it to get it off when NOTHING else would.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

51 minutes ago, ARGO said:

OK, other than the mess- why would you care if you tear up an old filter? You shouldn't be using it to put the new one on, anyway. I had a fuel filter plug on the road, and finally drove a screwdriver thru it to get it off when NOTHING else would.

"Cuz it's usually less trouble to use the right wrench than to clean up the mess.  And as I wrote earlier, there are many other uses for the wrenches besides filters.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, ARGO said:

It's exactly that, the mess.  I know the canister can only take so much, and then I'll be looking for that screwdriver.  I wondered how you other members approach this.  

If the filter is really stuck, then the chain will crush it maybe.  To your point, then it's just more mess but nothing lost.  

Thanks very much for all your replies, and the link, NukeE and NoDirectionHome.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-2321W-Heavy-Duty-Filter-Wrench/dp/B0015DOKAW/ref=pd_day0_263_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WCYJJMNFM4MCQYXHSS25

I glued hard rubber mat to the inside so it grips better and I have used an 18"  cheater bar on the 1/2 drive ratchet.  Filter moved without crushing it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

9 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-2321W-Heavy-Duty-Filter-Wrench/dp/B0015DOKAW/ref=pd_day0_263_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WCYJJMNFM4MCQYXHSS25

I glued hard rubber mat to the inside so it grips better and I have used an 18"  cheater bar on the 1/2 drive ratchet.  Filter moved without crushing it.

Jim,

That’s the one I bought.  Like the addition of the rubber.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I primarily use the strap and handle. I wore the strap out and replaced it. It likes to slide sometime so I fold a pcs of sand paper in half.

If the filter won't come off with the strap wrench then I switch over to a chain wrench.

I'll use ratchet strap when I don't want to damage the filter but the one I have is not very big.

Also have a pair of oil filter pliers.

Least favorite is my rubber strap wrenches....the rubber stretches.

A Marlin Spike is used on the really tough filters.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

I use nothing but the oil filter pliers on my rig and on the rigs back at the shop.  Every once in a while you will get a filter that's overtightened....then you do whatever it takes to get it off...usually a chain strap then.  The key is hand tighten only.

I try using a heavy strap wrench first and if that doesn't work, the chain wrenches come out to play. The one we had to use on Carl's truck was this one and we still had to put a cheater handle on it to break that filter loose.

https://www.otctools.com/products/ratcheting-chain-wrench-24

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Two changes ago, Speedco couldn't get one of my oil filters off with all their implements, so the spike came out.  Of course they are set up to catch the mess.  But I thought it was interesting to hear the boss tell all the guys, "This is why we don't over tighten these when installing them".  Of course it was his shop that did the prior oil change!!!!  ( I let him know that)

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I like to try the strap wrench first, if that doesn't work large channel locks or a chain wrench at the top of the filter next to the mounting base to minimize tearing the can open.  Also always break the filters loose before draining the oil, if they don't budge start the engine and break them loose, the oil pressure will help by pushing on the oring and threads

8 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Of course it was his shop that did the prior oil change!!!!  ( I let him know that)

I laughed at this one.  😀  I'm glad you told him!

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Archived