Air Dryer

Shallow Draft

How often if ever should the air dryer cartridge be replaced.

I have not serviced this dryer since I have owned this truck and I was thinking it may be time.

I have the style that requires dis-assembly to get at the cartridge and there is no mess around the discharge port. Not a big job but not as easy as the spin on cartridge.

thanks.

Greg

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

I found this while looking for something else.  I think this is the system you said you do not have, but posting it anyway for me or anyone else with this system.  If I find the other one I will post it as well.

https://youtu.be/hJ4njApa64o?list=PLzSS2HQb1MNDERM-Af6ZZPgh9r3Khm9Jr

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Thanks    That is one of the videos that got me thinking about changing the filter. That is why I was asking this group to see if anybody here changes them or just ingnors them until there is an obvious need to do something.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

I preemptively changed mine after a year or two of ownership.  I had no idea how long the existing one had been in my truck, so I figured it was fairly cheap insurance to prevent a roadside issue and now I can put it on a regular schedule knowing when it was new.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Recommended every two years.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

thanks   for the responses.  I think I will change the cartridge and the governor just because I don't know when they were done last.

18 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Recommended every two years.

X2 and not changing out the filter is #1 cause of the air dryer going bad. Don't believe because you don't put 125,000 miles per year. That yours will last 10 15 years without a new filter. Seen a lot of them go bad in 2 or 3 years. Low use but no filter change.

event.png

My observation is that air-dryer rework is often akin to washing and waxing the interior of the trailer black water tank.......nasty job.

Changing the filter is a bit messy and if the filter is doing it's job it should be nasty with oil, water and stale Dr Pepper etc....

The item often overlooked on air-dryers is the purge valve..........

The purge valve has a nasty job to do in that it's supposed to ........PURGE the Air-Dryer to keep it from becoming overwhelmed by too much nasty oil / water/ etc.......

If you consider that the Purge Valve has such a nasty job it stands to reason that rebuilding or replacing the purge valve is likely a vital part of Air Dryer rework.......

I am pretty lazy so I keep a eye peeled for sales on new or rebuilt Air Dryers and then just exchange the old Air Dryer for a new one........often at sale prices of new or rebuilt Air Dryers are priced near the cost of replacement filters and Purge Valves and replacing the old Dryer with a nice clean new unit keeps my white silk coveralls speck-an-span.........

Drive on..........(Keep the air.....dry)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

My purge valve has twice started dumping air and failed to stop resulting in excessive air loss.  Once was parked in my driveway and once was while driving (pull over now moment!).  After several minutes it "fixed" itself.  Is this a dealer part or can I get one at Fleetpride or someplace like that?

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Armed with the last 6 digits of your serial number, you can walk into any Volvo or Mack dealer and get one.  I would think aftermarket parts houses like Fleet Pride would have it as well.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

In the real world I like to change the spin on cartridge once a year, usually in the fall. About 80-110k miles between changes. Might be a little overkill, but avoiding freezing up is worth it. A lot of guys do what Dolly Trolley suggested. A reman unit is not that expensive, and if you were paying for labor it is cheaper to replace the entire unit than have someone disassemble and change the cartridge. Which as he pointed out doesn't get the unit clean or service all the components. 

In the RV service here, since freezing operations are a rarity it is not near the priority it is elsewhere. It is nice to try to keep the goo out of the air system no matter what. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

A lot will depend on the condition of your air compressor.  As they rack up miles the rings wear and oil gets bypassed into the air lines.  The dryer cartridge ends up absorbing this crud making it unable to dry the air.  It has been a while since all of this has been discussed and I know much of that info has been lost as part of forum software changes.  During the first few years of ownership of my Volvo I had to replace the air compressor, governor, air dryer valve body and cartridge.  Before replacing the compressor I went through 3 cartridges and two valve body's.  What was happening was the cartridge was getting contaminated with oil and was unable to purge the air lines of water as designed.  I was constantly draining my air tanks of a combination of oil and water that stunk like crazy.  Now that the compressor has been replaced I rarely have any water in my tanks, the dryer is working properly as is the valve body.  If you start getting a considerable amount of water from you air tanks there is trouble with your dryer.  The Volvo cartridge is about $90 and due to its diameter difficult to get off without project specific tools.  I ended up making a "wrench" by welding hooks on the outside of the jaws of Vice Grip locking pliers and using cable clamps to attach a loop of steel winch cable through the hooks.  I could then adjust the pliers, lock them down and twist the cartridge off.  My dealer had a core charge for the cartridge meaning it needs to be traded in when you get a new one or pay a higher price.  I asked him what the core was used for.  His reply was he was told the dissectant inside the cartridge was cleaned and reused.  I didn't know the stuff was that valuable.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Our purge valve started acting up the winter we were building our bed. Found it was just easier to change out the whole dryer on our Freightliner.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived