High quality tire pressure gauge?

Kirk W

I have come to the time when I need to replace one one of my tire gauges. This one is for the SUV and it would be best if it were to be compact enough to keep in a fairly full glove box. In looking through those listed on Amazon, I find that most of the highest rated ones are analog, while only a few digital models are a match. The round dial type seems to solidly lead the pack yet I have read many times on RV forums that a digital should be used for better accuracy. So if you will share with my the type, make, and (model if you know) of tire gauge that you are using, along with how you like it. Tell us why you do or don't like yours. If you recall, share also where you purchased it and what the cost was.

Thanks in advance!    :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

After decades of using analog dial and stick type gauges, I decided to give a digital gauge a try. I needed a high pressure model because of my 110 psi trailer tires, so I chose the  "5-150 PSI ACCUTIRE Digital TIRE Pressure Gauge LCD Display MS4021B".

I purchased the gauge from Amazon, and paid $9.99 though I note the current price is $19.99 for some reason. 

I am still using it side-by-side with a round analog gauge and they track very well. It is compact and convenient to use. So far, so good. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

22 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I purchased the gauge from Amazon, and paid $9.99 though I note the current price is $19.99 for some reason. 

Internet shows both Walmart & Sears are selling it for $14.99.

For the toad, I use a Slime digital gauge that I bought at Walmart.  I've been using it for over a couple of years now, and it still works great.  I like the accuracy of the digital over my big honking dial gauge.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

I just found information on them on a friend's subscription to Consumer Reports. Here is a summary of that report.

• Two digital Accutire gauges topped the Ratings, the MS-4400B ($10.99) and MS-4021B ($9.99). The heavy-duty dial-type Intercomp 360060 ($55.95) was also very good but is limited to 60 psi.
• The Slime 20048 ($5.99), a dial type, was hard to read, inaccurate when cold, and lost accuracy permanently when dropped onto a concrete floor from a height of 30 inches.

It looks like the ACCUTIRE Digital TIRE Pressure Gauge will be my choice!  Thank you, everyone, who responded. 

33 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

t looks like the ACCUTIRE Digital TIRE Pressure Gauge will be my choice!  Thank you, everyone, who responded. 

Good choice. I keep an MS-4021B in the house and one in the TV. Good gauges.

On edit: Looks like Amazon is doing $20 for 1 or $25 for 2. Not too shabby!

Edited by Yarome

The thing I really like with the 4021 (and that series) over the 4400 is the backlighting. That's definately a good price though. That's what I bought my 4021's for. Dunno why they would suddenly double in price, but if you're buying a 2 pack (@$25).. $12.50 a pop isn't that unreasonable.

I ordered a MS4021B from Walmart, online for $14.99. I had read that Walmart is now working to compete with Amazon and since they beat Amazon in price, I thought that I'd give them a try. 

I've used Walmart before, but not in the past year or so. Maybe things have changed, but at the time I got soured when I discovered that much of what they offer is through 3rd-parties with no "global" return policy or "mediation". Walmart doesn't actually fulfill those orders. When my order was over 21 days after I was notified of shipment I tried contacting Walmart and was instructed that I would need to contact the seller directly. I did.. and eventually received my order... which was "wrong"! When trying to return it I was informed by Walmart that they could do nothing and to contact the seller. The seller stated that they have a 14-day return policy and my order had been originally shipped nearly 5 weeks prior. SOL

I'm glad it wasn't a high ticket item, but it seemed to me, then, that Walmart was becoming more of a "poor mans" eBay dressed up to look like an "Amazon".

If it's not a "walmart" product then the sellers set their own shipping and returns policies.

Just checked now and it looks like it's still the same.

"Items purchased from a Marketplace retailer cannot be returned to a Walmart store or to Walmart.com; they must be returned to their Marketplace Retailer in accordance with their returns policy. Please email the Marketplace retailer directly.
Items purchased from dealers or resellers and not Walmart.com directly are not eligible for return, refund, or exchange"

Kirk- Looks like the one you purchased is a "marketplace retailer". JLC Concepts LLC.

Edited by Yarome

• 3 years later...
On 8/23/2017 at 2:41 PM, Kirk W said:

I ordered a MS4021B from Walmart, online for $14.99. I had read that Walmart is now working to compete with Amazon and since they beat Amazon in price, I thought that I'd give them a try. 

From internet searches, it appears digital gauges are the most accurate.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 8/23/2017 at 3:03 PM, Yarome said:

I've used Walmart before, but not in the past year or so. Maybe things have changed, but at the time I got soured when I discovered that much of what they offer is through 3rd-parties with no "global" return policy or "mediation". Walmart doesn't actually fulfill those orders. When my order was over 21 days after I was notified of shipment I tried contacting Walmart and was instructed that I would need to contact the seller directly. I did.. and eventually received my order... which was "wrong"! When trying to return it I was informed by Walmart that they could do nothing and to contact the seller. The seller stated that they have a 14-day return policy and my order had been originally shipped nearly 5 weeks prior. SOL

I'm glad it wasn't a high ticket item, but it seemed to me, then, that Walmart was becoming more of a "poor mans" eBay dressed up to look like an "Amazon".

If it's not a "walmart" product then the sellers set their own shipping and returns policies.

Just checked now and it looks like it's still the same.

"Items purchased from a Marketplace retailer cannot be returned to a Walmart store or to Walmart.com; they must be returned to their Marketplace Retailer in accordance with their returns policy. Please email the Marketplace retailer directly.
Items purchased from dealers or resellers and not Walmart.com directly are not eligible for return, refund, or exchange"

Kirk- Looks like the one you purchased is a "marketplace retailer". JLC Concepts LLC.

I would never purchase from one of those non-Wal-Mart retailers. Sorry you got burned. I just select the Wal-Mart.com retailer option only. What happened to you is exactly what I suspected might happen. That ploy seems to be active on so many once reliable sites. It's sad and unfortunate, but I quickly caught on to them. Jay

6 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I would never purchase from one of those non-Wal-Mart retailers.

Too bad^ .

I ordered trailer tires from one of those non Walmart retailers . 

Rec'd them well within the estimated delivery time , without any hassles .

They have lasted almost 3 times longer than what I had before and I saved about 1/3 of the cost . 

Due diligence ( research ) pays . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

4 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Too bad^ .

I ordered trailer tires from one of those non Walmart retailers . 

Rec'd them well within the estimated delivery time , without any hassles .

They have lasted almost 3 times longer than what I had before and I saved about 1/3 of the cost . 

Due diligence ( research ) pays . ;)

Good to know! I think my issue is that I go to an online retailer expecting their products and it's frustrating to find all those hundreds of other options, plus the issue of returns and after sale support. I may consider doing more research. Jay

• 1 month later...

I dislike small tools that use small batteries. They seem to always let us down when needed and no easy replacement nearby.  I got this tough one for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-Industries-S-976-United-Service/dp/B000CONUJM/

Look for the Milton version thru a search. Heavy duty tool.

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

28 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

I dislike small tools that use small batteries. They seem to always let us down when needed and no easy replacement nearby.  I got this tough one for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-Industries-S-976-United-Service/dp/B000CONUJM/

Look for the Milton version thru a search. Heavy duty tool.

I'm sure that Milton will last a good long while .

I bought a little digital Slim gauge about 11 years ago . Replaced the battery once in that time . 

It's my go to gauge , as it's very reliable . I have other 'mechanical' gauges , but ... 

20017_Content_On_grande.jpg?v=1547680425

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

On 12/12/2020 at 10:38 AM, ROUS said:

We only buy Milton gauges.  They are strong, heavy, and time-tested.

Who is "we" ??

Don't know if Milton is still the brand/style they issue, but I still have mine from 1964.

Have plenty of the cheap-o style and type that work just as well and fit in smaller places.  It's whatever rings your chimes or Big Rick approved!

😉