What happens at the end of your road to adventure?

Kirk W

Are you interested in a discussion of after full-time what comes next?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Shoud there be a forum to discuss returning from full-time RV travel and planning for that day?

• I would be very interested in such a forum.
    • I am a former fulltimer who is now off of the road and would participate.
    • I am preparing for fulltime and want to learn how to be prepared for this day.
    • I am a fulltimer and would follow such a forum.
    • I have some interest in this subject and might read the forum.
    • I have no interest in the subject and would not read the forum.
    • There are too many forums now.
    • None of the above.

This poll is closed to new votes

The subject of what may come after years of fulltime or extended RV travels is occasionally addressed on the forums but the question is, should there be a forum for discussions of transition back from RV life to a stick house and fixed community once more? There was a post by Kingskids which lead to some discussion of the subject:

Wishing all who are just starting this year our very best.  We started in 2012 and have had a wonderful life with it for 5 great years.  Sadly, just as you guys are starting, we are having to quit for health reasons.  This is a wonderful group and as I'm sure you've found with other areas on the forum, many very helpful "old timers" are always willing to answer any question you may have -- and there's no such thing as a "stupid question" when you're in the learning mode!!

There are several of us here who are former fulltimers whose road to adventure has come to an end or at least returned to part-time travel for many different reasons. Thus I open the above poll to test interest.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

While we think we have a plan, I'll be the first to admit that plans change. I think I would follow a section like described.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I read any new post question that interests me, and pay little attention to what "forum label" it appears in. I simply click on New Posts, or Unread Content in this new sys.

I went from working & Part Time RV'er, to retired & Fulltime RV, to Extended timer, to part timer & 2 home snowbirder, and happy to offer whatever I can. 

Now I've transitioned to Sailboat owner cruising around the Bahamas all winter. But still have my motorhome for summer travels (hurricane season in the islands). Live aboard Boats & RV's have a lot in common.

Since most of us spent years living in various sticks & bricks long before becoming Fulltime RV'ers, it would surprise me if there are that many questions about how to move back into a house. just one old mans opinion

Jim

Kirk,

Are you thinking of a new topic area for the RVNetwork.com?  I don't see a reason not to have the new topic area.  I voted that I might look at it, though it is not a high priority for me.  I can see why others would have more interest.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We were going to be going on the road this year...however, health issues have snuck up and bit us and right now we've changed from full-time to half-time.  We have to, for now, keep our home and travel when we can.  Does anyone know if you can arrange for dialysis when you are on the road?

55 minutes ago, Mr. Camper said:

Does anyone know if you can arrange for dialysis when you are on the road?

Have you considered home hemodialysis as treatment? I would think that this could be done while traveling as long as you have a source for the required water. 

2 hours ago, JRP said:

Since most of us spent years living in various sticks & bricks long before becoming Fulltime RV'ers, it would surprise me if there are that many questions about how to move back into a house. just one old mans opinion

The idea was to deal with thinking ahead of an exit plan before the day comes as well as things that may come up when that time comes. We spent 12 years on the road  and we have found it to take some adjustment. The greatest was that we had become very used to the system of just moving on if a neighbor did a thing we didn't really care for, rather than dealing with it. 

12 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

The idea was to deal with thinking ahead of an exit plan before the day comes as well as things that may come up when that time comes. We spent 12 years on the road  and we have found it to take some adjustment. The greatest was that we had become very used to the system of just moving on if a neighbor did a thing we didn't really care for, rather than dealing with it. 

I remember similar stories from that book the sociologists wrote about the Escapees years ago, about how difficult it was for those who got off the road to deal with not being able to move to get away from problems.  I wish I could remember the name of that book, one of many I read before fulltiming.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

16 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Have you considered home hemodialysis as treatment? I would think that this could be done while traveling as long as you have a source for the required water. 

Actually, I'm looking at a lot of options and home hemodialysis is one of them.  I'm not going to start it soon but as I do with most things I want to be prepared for any eventuality and I check out everything.  The problem is that doing it at home or on the road requires it to be done daily for six or seven hours and doing it in a center is three times a week for about 4-41/2 hours each time.  Still lots of other options and I'm looking at them all.  I really don't want to give up traveling.

10 hours ago, Randyretired said:

We move between 2 areas and have a relationship with doctors in both areas and get treatment while there.  We travel some between treatments as time and energy allow.  This is more enjoyable to us than staying in one place.

Seasonal Camping?  Okay, that's an option I hadn't considered.  We are centrally located and that could work if we could figure out how to take care of issues while traveling on the way to somewhere and the way home.  It's still worth investigating more.  Thanks for the suggestion.

We have a park model in Mesa, AZ.  Come April, we pack up the motorhome for the summer, clean the PM, shut off the power and water, and close her up.   We have a company that does monthly inspections to make sure no storm damage has been done, and just before we return, the open the PM up, turn on power and water (check for leaks) and then we pull in, unpack the motorhome, put her in storage (clean, turn everything off) for the winter.     

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I voted of the top one, as I see benefit to Escapees having a specific area to discuss this... 

As like many of you (Who we got the advice from in 2011-2012 as we were 'wrapping up retirement planning'.), we do have 'planned exit strategies' in place. 

As with many of the sub Escapee Forums, they have their time of being quite beneficial to the members. And at other times, maybe an occasional drop in visit. This is the norm of many forums, as the life cycle of the RV'er's changes as time moves on - with different phases an areas of investigation and interest. 

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived