I have a really big unit!

13speed

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Just make sure to use the latest "E" rated tire from China Bomb inc!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Refuzn-To-Grow-Up said:

Don't forget to get the china wheel bearings, for an additional safety factor.

Great suggestions! I will ask about those tomorrow:rolleyes:

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

3 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Only 1 axle.... AN HDT Volvo is really overkill.... with one axle a Toyota Tundra should be fine with a 15k Reese in it!

Yes! I can save 70K switching from the Volvo to a Tundra! Tundras can pull Space Shuttles so my 5er should be no problem......:D

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Watch the turns with that big tail swing! Your pin weight should be nice and low (many even negative as in up pull) for the Tundra.

Who's building the trailer?

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

9 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Watch the turns with that big tail swing! Your pin weight should be nice and low (many even negative as in up pull) for the Tundra.

Who's building the trailer?

Dave

It does appear that the axles are pretty far forward and I am not sure if it is just the camera and that it only has one axle or that they really will be. I have to trust NH that they know what they are doing.

New Horizons

42 minutes ago, noteven said:

Suggest the oak block on the tire brakes so as not to overheat those stupid EZ lube thingamajigs and a parachute ("RV air brake") actuated by the "trolley valve" for downgrades over 7.6 miles long and 6.2% (GPS indicated on dash laptop #4) while watching through the rear view camera (dash laptop #6) that the RV air brake doesn't deploy on the windshield of Big5'ers patrol vehicle.... 

Yes all of that. I have to come up with a plan to deal with Texas. I can't let Big5er and his friend in the next county rain on my parade:ph34r:

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Noteven, is there a problem that I am not aware about with the EZ lube bearings ?  I just changed out my axles that had the Never Lube bearings and installed heavier springs and axles with EZ lube hubs.  Now I am concerned that I don't know of EZ lube problems. Please expand on the issues with the  EZ lubes.  Thanks,        Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

David, thanks. I agree on the hand packing/inspection. I was just concerned that I had missed something else about the EZ lubes. I never had any problems with my old Never Lubes but I carried a spare...3 actually. I carry a spare EZ Lube bearing set and seal in case a roadside replacement is needed. I figure if I have it ,I will never need it..        Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

13 hours ago, sclord2002 said:

Noteven, is there a problem that I am not aware about with the EZ lube bearings ?  I just changed out my axles that had the Never Lube bearings and installed heavier springs and axles with EZ lube hubs.  Now I am concerned that I don't know of EZ lube problems. Please expand on the issues with the  EZ lubes.  Thanks,        Charlie

No problems I am aware of -  just participating in the funnin'  around 13speed's new "single axle" trailer - EZ Lube bearing sets seem to be a favourite squawking point on trailer forums -

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, 13speed said:

13speed,

Can you share more details on your NH plans - length, style (Majestic, Summit), anticipated GVWR, toy hauler or "regular" RV, etc. I could not find anything (other than above) that you posted. Sorry if I missed it. With 3 x 9Ks it's going to be big and heavy!!  Planning on beating the previous "record" of 53' toy hauler?

I'm still in the planning stages and we just spent last Friday with Cole on a factory and model tour, and asked a billion questions. We still don't have the answer!! The final plan will also drive our tow vehicle decision. Looks like your GVWR at least contributed to your HDT plans. We are planning for the Class of 2018. Only a million more questions to answer.

Did you see the new Summit? Thoughts?

Gerry

Right now is the time to add my patent pending secret high tensile heat treated hyper reinforced jetson alloy mil spec heavy duty wheel houses that will take a clobbering from a tire flying to pieces and pass zero point zero damage to the surrounding area or the trailer. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

6 hours ago, noteven said:

Right now is the time to add my patent pending secret high tensile heat treated hyper reinforced jetson alloy mil spec heavy duty wheel houses that will take a clobbering from a tire flying to pieces and pass zero point zero damage to the surrounding area or the trailer. 

Good idea!  I have had two blowouts and those china-tire hand grenades do a lot of damage when they explode!

I wonder what the cost would be to install, Kevlar (or similar bullet proof material) inside the wheel well.

12 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

13speed,

Can you share more details on your NH plans - length, style (Majestic, Summit), anticipated GVWR, toy hauler or "regular" RV, etc. I could not find anything (other than above) that you posted. Sorry if I missed it. With 3 x 9Ks it's going to be big and heavy!!  Planning on beating the previous "record" of 53' toy hauler?

I'm still in the planning stages and we just spent last Friday with Cole on a factory and model tour, and asked a billion questions. We still don't have the answer!! The final plan will also drive our tow vehicle decision. Looks like your GVWR at least contributed to your HDT plans. We are planning for the Class of 2018. Only a million more questions to answer.

Did you see the new Summit? Thoughts?

Gerry

If you took a tour on Friday then you must have seen my frame in the welding area. It should be getting painted tomorrow and then to the line for flooring next week...yay!

The questions never end. we are in month 4 with Cole and are still finishing/finalizing things. He has been really great to work with the nice thing is, is that he really likes what he does and enjoys coming up with new ideas and trying new things.

The 53' record will still be standing as we will be about 5' short. It is a Majestic, 48' bumper to pin with a estimated empty weight of about 27K and gross of 32K. A HDT is pretty much a necessity not only for weight but also power. A 5500 Ram could carry the weight but the neutered 6.7 Cummins would not go up the mountains very well. 

The unit is all living space but is a toy hauler of sorts just not in the traditional way. Our 14' kayaks and mountain bikes will go up in the main storage area in front. One different thing I did do was to swap their regular rear cap for a flat wall similar to what they do with a toy hauler but with no door and just the one center window. I was not a fan of its traditional "cottage" look as well as I saved 6" or so off of my total length going that route. We also have a 8K Cummins Onan generator and fuel tank going in as well as rear mounted built in propane tank. 

We designed the trailer to be spacious everywhere not just in some areas sacrificing others. Most floor plans I have seen have tiny toilet rooms and small vanities and a lot have queen beds to save room and I just did not want to have any of those compromises anywhere. I look at it as this is our house not a weekend/vacation RV. We have a 48x42 shower and a 5' long toilet room. We put in a full size W/D, and full sized King bed 76'x80"as well. Our kitchen is all full size "real" appliances such as a wall oven and micro and a range top with vent hood.  We also have a 8' eat at island and a big desk "my den" where the dining table usually is.

I am getting excited just talking about it. If you have any more questions let me know.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

6 hours ago, Dan Johnson said:

13speed

Are those oil bath hubs?

What ever comes on MORryde axles I guess. I will have to ask.

2 hours ago, sclord2002 said:

WOO HOO, beefy looking hubs and suspension.  Very nice !!     Charlie

Thank yoy!

2018 NH 48' Majestic

54 minutes ago, 13speed said:

If you took a tour on Friday then you must have seen my frame in the welding area. It should be getting painted tomorrow and then to the line for flooring next week...yay!

The questions never end. we are in month 4 with Cole and are still finishing/finalizing things. He has been really great to work with the nice thing is, is that he really likes what he does and enjoys coming up with new ideas and trying new things.

The 53' record will still be standing as we will be about 5' short. It is a Majestic, 48' bumper to pin with a estimated empty weight of about 27K and gross of 32K. A HDT is pretty much a necessity not only for weight but also power. A 5500 Ram could carry the weight but the neutered 6.7 Cummins would not go up the mountains very well. 

The unit is all living space but is a toy hauler of sorts just not in the traditional way. Our 14' kayaks and mountain bikes will go up in the main storage area in front. One different thing I did do was to swap their regular rear cap for a flat wall similar to what they do with a toy hauler but with no door and just the one center window. I was not a fan of its traditional "cottage" look as well as I saved 6" or so off of my total length going that route. We also have a 8K Cummins Onan generator and fuel tank going in as well as rear mounted built in propane tank. 

We designed the trailer to be spacious everywhere not just in some areas sacrificing others. Most floor plans I have seen have tiny toilet rooms and small vanities and a lot have queen beds to save room and I just did not want to have any of those compromises anywhere. I look at it as this is our house not a weekend/vacation RV. We have a 48x42 shower and a 5' long toilet room. We put in a full size W/D, and full sized King bed 76'x80"as well. Our kitchen is all full size "real" appliances such as a wall oven and micro and a range top with vent hood.  We also have a 8' eat at island and a big desk "my den" where the dining table usually is.

I am getting excited just talking about it. If you have any more questions let me know.

Chris,

Yes, indeed there was a three 9K axle frame in the weld area. The factory was quite due to the holiday week. But spent all day 9 to 5+ with Cole. Discussions continues and probably a few more visits. Planning on going full-time next year.

Nice unit you a building. We are going the toy hauler route and still playing with size and layout. Expecting draft drawing from Cole this week. Still lots of compromise, not matter what. Yes, once you hit about 26,500# the 5500 started to get close to limits (with margin). Usually the CGVW, maybe RGAWR soon after. So that is part of our decision too on a 5500 vs an HDT. We live in Colorado and will tour the west and up to Alaska. We understand the "Ike Gauntlet" - West side climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel climb on I-70, west of Denver. It's used in lots of truck tests.

I'm guessing you are the Chris that was discussion a LiFePo system will Cole. I have a detailed plan on a Victron based system that I'm discussion with Cole too. Expensive but very integrated. If you are interested in sharing ideas let me know. Can PM or go to another topic. What is the topic here anyway - Big ...!!

Gerry

Morryde places the oilbath cover on the axles that use greased bearings. It may be possible to change to an oilbath, I don't know. But it would be a lot more work whenever you had to check brakes.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

40 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

Morryde places the oilbath cover on the axles that use greased bearings. It may be possible to change to an oilbath, I don't know. But it would be a lot more work whenever you had to check brakes.

I emailed NH and will post up when I find out what they are.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Archived