I have a really big unit!

13speed

1 hour ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Chris,

Yes, indeed there was a three 9K axle frame in the weld area. The factory was quite due to the holiday week. But spent all day 9 to 5+ with Cole. Discussions continues and probably a few more visits. Planning on going full-time next year.

Nice unit you a building. We are going the toy hauler route and still playing with size and layout. Expecting draft drawing from Cole this week. Still lots of compromise, not matter what. Yes, once you hit about 26,500# the 5500 started to get close to limits (with margin). Usually the CGVW, maybe RGAWR soon after. So that is part of our decision too on a 5500 vs an HDT. We live in Colorado and will tour the west and up to Alaska. We understand the "Ike Gauntlet" - West side climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel climb on I-70, west of Denver. It's used in lots of truck tests.

I'm guessing you are the Chris that was discussion a LiFePo system will Cole. I have a detailed plan on a Victron based system that I'm discussion with Cole too. Expensive but very integrated. If you are interested in sharing ideas let me know. Can PM or go to another topic. What is the topic here anyway - Big ...!!

Gerry

Gerry,

Our trailer should be done first week of Sept. We will be in the area for at least a few weeks after that waiting for our New Volvo to be delivered to Denver. Not the way we wanted it to work out but that is what we get. Anyways if you are going to be at NH let me know and I can show you the trailer. 

The 5500's other issue besides HP is a 6 speed trans with a torque converter. Just not enough to get something moving in a timely fashion. It can be done but you will be crawling up the mountains. You can't beat the 10-13 gears of a HDT and for me personally the 12 speed ishift is the shiz. The last thing to consider in a tow vehicle especially in the mountains is the exhaust brake. It will be at least 3-4 times more powerful in a HDT. I know Colorado well. I lived in the Denver area for the better part of 20 years and Tracey is from Parker. We will be going through there every year to see her mom and other family and it is one of the reasons I decided to get the D13 over the D11. If I was under 25K gross I would probably get the D11 for the weight and fuel savings.

Cole and I did discuss a LiPo setup but I decided to wait and have solar batteries and all that done by AM or Starlight once we figure out what we will really need. They are making us solar ready though. For now we are just getting something basic.

If you would like, PM me your email and I will send you our floor plan.

Chris

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

14 hours ago, Ronbo said:

Morryde places the oilbath cover on the axles that use greased bearings. It may be possible to change to an oilbath, I don't know. But it would be a lot more work whenever you had to check brakes.

I switched my MorRyde I/S over to oil bath.  Now I had disk brakes so checking the brakes was a non-issue.  When I switched over I went ahead and replaced the bearings and wheel seal.  On the dust cover, I did have some seeping.  I just reinstalled the caps with some yellow Teflon tape and that fixed the problem.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

1 hour ago, HERO Maker said:

Rick, why the yellow tape?  I thought that was for gas lines, propane lines etc...?

Must be something I don't know about, and that would be added to the rest of the list.

Rocky, the yellow or blue tape is just a little thicker and rated for use with gas and petroleum distillates. You could just as well use good old white tape for this use but the other is rated for contact with oil and seals pretty well.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 4 weeks later...

Remember how I said my unit was big :D

http://IFzSvK.jpg

Progress has been a little slow lately but should start moving along soon. The flooring is arriving on Monday and should get put down next week. The cabinets are ready to go in after that. 

2018 NH 48' Majestic

7 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

First week of September you said!!  Better drop by and bring your tools!!!  :)

That timeline was revised a long time ago. End of Sept is more likely. I will be there in a week to help keep things on track. That said once everything is there ready to go and the cabinets are ready it will start to get together pretty quickly.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Chris,  Assuming they have all required components, it will/can go pretty fast until final finish. That is where it can slow the most. It takes time to finish these units correctly. And they do try to make it "right". The other thing is paint. That can hold things up a good bit...like weeks sometimes. It takes at least 9 days to get the paint done.....and that is optimally. Also, make SURE that they have the right appliances and any special components. You would be surprised how often the manufacturers ship the wrong thing.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

4 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Chris,  Assuming they have all required components, it will/can go pretty fast until final finish. That is where it can slow the most. It takes time to finish these units correctly. And they do try to make it "right". The other thing is paint. That can hold things up a good bit...like weeks sometimes. It takes at least 9 days to get the paint done.....and that is optimally. Also, make SURE that they have the right appliances and any special components. You would be surprised how often the manufacturers ship the wrong thing.

Jack, I will be able to check on everything next week and will have enough time to fix any screw ups. When are you going to be there?

59 minutes ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Chris,

When I spoke with Cole in early July, the paint schedule was a major concern then. Some issue with worker availability to NH pain work. Might want to ask again.

Paint has been getting better since then and maybe closer to normal by now. It might be the first week of October but it will get done. Cole is going to get really sick of me by then:lol:

2018 NH 48' Majestic

2 hours ago, 13speed said:

Jack, I will be able to check on everything next week and will have enough time to fix any screw ups. When are you going to be there?

Not gonna make it. I was going to stop on the way back from the shop, but some personal issues will be preventing that. I have to get back to CO on a tighter schedule than previously predicted.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived