Combo kayak/bike rack at the rally

lockmup68

Darn it. I was all excited waiting on these pictures but that won't work for me. MY "little" kayak is 14ft long. It I stand it on the ground, It would be the legal height for a vehicle. MY good kayak is 17ft long. I'd rake it off on the first overpass I wentt under. :) Guess I need a different hobby or shorter boats.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Darn it. I was all excited waiting on these pictures but that won't work for me. MY "little" kayak is 14ft long. It I stand it on the ground, It would be the legal height for a vehicle. MY good kayak is 17ft long. I'd rake it off on the first overpass I wentt under. :) Guess I need a different hobby or shorter boats.

Yesterday , I watched our current neighbor deflate and roll up what I thought was a hard shell good sized Kayak . It was an arm full , but it fit nicely in his trunk .

Goes around , comes around .

thanks, pics are very helpful. I'll probably fab up something similar. My connundrum is we need a 4 bike rack and two kayaks. I can prob place the kayaks on the bed under the bronco, but really liked the rack with both.

Thanks,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

We stopped bring a hard kayak and now carry an inflatable. Much easier to carry/deal with and the inflatables are much better / more usable now days.

rocmoc n AZ

Would you share more information on your choice of inflatables? What you like, don't like and how long you have had your current?

Sorry for the Hijack.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rod,

I have a Sea Eagle 370, I bought several years ago. Very stable and over 12' . Since accident though can't get in and out as easily as I once could but fairly inexpensive and easy to transport.

https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I'm not sure what I am going to do but an inflatable, as good as some say they are, will be my last choice. I've paddled next to one or two and they just aren't for me. Kind of like going from a modern sports car to horse and buggy.

2014 smart Fortwo

I'm not sure what I am going to do but an inflatable, as good as some say they are, will be my last choice. I've paddled next to one or two and they just aren't for me. Kind of like going from a modern sports car to horse and buggy.

Phil,

Had a different comment but better keep it on topic. ;)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

LOL...you can always send it to me in a PM Carl. :)

2014 smart Fortwo

I'm with Big5er. The folding and inflatables are a huge step down. I have a 17' Impex Currituck that I'll have to trade for a 12'er... bummer

Stekay, I know what you mean. I have a 17ft carbon fiber Necky Looksha IV that I have no idea what I'll do without.

01%201_zpssx7qdqub.jpg

Have you looked at the Pakayak? They are just starting production but they look real interesting. That may have to be my solution. They look a lot more promising than an inflatable. This is one of their first videos. It is while they were still looking for funds but is one ofthe most complete videos they have. They have reached their start up goals and are in the "pre-order" stage. Hopefully that means full production soon. I read somewhere that they also have a 17ft'er in the works. Rumor was it would just be additional sections. That would be neat, allowing you to chose a 14ft or a 17ft kayak depending on the trip and/or conditions.

And here is a pakayak rolling...try doing that with an inflatable.

2014 smart Fortwo

• 2 months later...

Big5er:

We are avid sea kayakers who wanted to do some RV traveling around the US and Canada (and hopefully a trip to Alaska next year). Before we pulled the trigger on an RV purchase, we wanted to have performance kayaks that we could easily take in a Class C motorhome. After some searching, we ordered a Trak Seeker 16ST (with a 30 day return option) . Take a look at the videos on their web site: www.trakkayaks.com The kayaks are 16' skin on frame with an innovative jack system that tensions the frame to give performance even a bit better than our carbon/kevlar sea kayaks. The clever engineering with the jacks allows on the fly hull shape adjustments-changing rocker and a weathercock compensating side adjustment. For my test paddle, a buddy and i did a 14 mile continuous paddle. No trouble keeping a good pace. We are excited because they not only perform as well as our hardshell but can be adapted for different conditions.

One thing apparent as we shopped for an RV and considered the RV lifestyle is that it is all about compromises. The same with a portable kayak--but the Trak was the answer for us to not have to compromise on water performance.

Just watched the video of setup of the Trak Seeker 16ST. I'm sure it would be much more difficult setting up on dirt or sand, but was pretty impressed. Didn't see the price yet.

I have wanted to purchase a Kayak for quite a while. Have only used rentals so far and sometimes you get a good one, but most of the time you don't.

I will have to check with Wyatt and Marsha about hooking into the ceiling vents in my garage. I have 15 1/2 feet from rear door to wall, but have the doorway through with just a 3 inch drop so I'm sure the nose (or tail) of the ship could pass through. Is this boat lighter than a non collapsable?

I really wouldn't have to hook to the ceiling for the full transport , but would need to load it before the car, I think. the boat could then ride on the car as it would for use. Thanks to whoever started this topic. I now think I have a plan if I find a kayak I want.

Rod

Just looked at the "Clearance" prices and guess I will have to save for a while to buy one of the Trak Seeker 16S.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We use a high pressure two man for when the both of us want to splash around lake superior (phil is correct a poor boat) I use a Folboat for myself its close to the performance of my hard shell (which I miss)

If they get into production in time I will have a pacyak (sp) multi-sectional hard shell delivered to the ECR. There is just no way I have found to bring along a decent sized hard shell camping at least with a full condo truck,a flat top might be possible but that is pretty high off the ground.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

That Trak is an interesting looking boat. If pakayak doesn't pan out I may have to look into a Trak.

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil, maybe you can have a large window or access door put in the rear of the new trailer and just slide the kayak over the couch and island for traveling!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

HEY!!! I like it. Just hinge the rear window and mount a stack on the island. Why didnt I think of that, Dave? I wonder if DRV will do that for me.

2014 smart Fortwo

All you can do is ask. Maybe they can make the rear window a large escape window, don't they hinge?

If not I am sure someone at a rally will have a sawzall and will help you cut a large hole! Duct tape and plastic could be your new window.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived