Combo kayak/bike rack at the rally

lockmup68

Big 5er

With a 16 ft Kayak may I assume most of your uses are on lake or ocean paddling? We went through this process and decided on Aire Inflatables. We rented the Strike 2 and the Super Lynx. For lake and ocean Kayaking you can't beat the Super Lynx 15 ft I think, with a skag. Very straight and fast paddler. Not the same as hard shell but one of the faster inflatables available. We wanted to also do 1-4 white water as well so we bought a couple of Strike2's and had them put removable skegs on. Best uof both worlds for us.

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

It'll break my heart but I might do this :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Velt-OB2nTw

If I had a Kayak, I would move close to the guy and help him with the cut and prep. Looks like a excellent craftsman with a very steady hand.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Fortunately I have a lot of composites experience in design and fabrication as well as my company having a full composites machine shop and fab shop. I even considered a full composite truck bed for awhile before coming to my senses.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Just watched the video of setup of the Trak Seeker 16ST. I'm sure it would be much more difficult setting up on dirt or sand, but was pretty impressed. Didn't see the price yet.

I have wanted to purchase a Kayak for quite a while. Have only used rentals so far and sometimes you get a good one, but most of the time you don't.

I will have to check with Wyatt and Marsha about hooking into the ceiling vents in my garage. I have 15 1/2 feet from rear door to wall, but have the doorway through with just a 3 inch drop so I'm sure the nose (or tail) of the ship could pass through. Is this boat lighter than a non collapsable?

I really wouldn't have to hook to the ceiling for the full transport , but would need to load it before the car, I think. the boat could then ride on the car as it would for use. Thanks to whoever started this topic. I now think I have a plan if I find a kayak I want.

e

Rod

Just looked at the "Clearance" prices and guess I will have to save for a while to buy one of the Trak Seeker 16S.

Rod:

We plan to use a CGear sand free mat if we have to set up the Trak on sand or dirt. With my hardshell kayak I often get it set up by the SUV then use a dolly to roll over to the ramp. I'll likely do the same with the Trak. The Trak kayaks are not inexpensive-they are about $3000. However, I heard about a new model in the works (same hull design, some tech improvements) and perhaps a crowdfunding offer. What sold us on the Trak is that the performance is comparable to the hard shell and even better in a number of respects. It is more durable and will handle things like rocks much better. In fact, my carbon/kevlar sea kayak is in for crack repairs after a helpful friend dropped the end he was carrying about 2 feet onto the concrete ramp. Another strong selling point for us was the versatility. With the variable rocker (adjusting the curve along the keel), it can be a capable performer in varied conditions and environments. In a recent pool practice session, I found it much easier for self rescues than my larger volume hard shell. All in, it is not inexpensive, but a very good value for us.

Mike

2017 Winnebago View 24G-delivery soon

HEY!!! I like it. Just hinge the rear window and mount a stack on the island. Why didnt I think of that, Dave? I wonder if DRV will do that for me.

Did you ever get an answer from DRV?

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived