Got a reminder to use our trucks

Broncohauler

A lot of us just don't drive our trucks enough, and then wonder why they have problems.
I'm guilty of this myself, we mainly use our truck in the desert season and will sometimes let it sit for up to a month at a time.
Last week I had my fleet mechanic friend I do welding for do a service and full inspection. We drove the truck yesterday for a show and tonight for a Cruz night,
Got home to find a cab air bag leaking badly. The mechanic didn't miss anything and it's not rotten just let go.
My point here is even if you have the best service, stuff breaks!
Make sure before taking a trip avoid the surprise of a breakdown and go for a long drive.
I'm glad it happened now because we leave for Bigbear mt in a week.

My truck eats cab airbags for lunch. I know it is because it sits with no air for weeks at a time and those bags sit rolled up into themselves. They start to crack at the roll and eventually let go. Because of this, I set up a way to back feed my air system from my shop air compressor to keep the bags filled. Of course now all I have to do is get power in the shop to run the air compressor (and everything else). ;) Hopefully one of these days soon I will actually get some free time at home to start that project.

I agree these trucks need to be out running down the road. I try to keep mine exercised regularly, but sometimes life gets in the way.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

My truck eats cab airbags for lunch. I know it is because it sits with no air for weeks at a time and those bags sit rolled up into themselves. They start to crack at the roll and eventually let go. Because of this, I set up a way to back feed my air system from my shop air compressor to keep the bags filled. Of course now all I have to do is get power in the shop to run the air compressor (and everything else). ;) Hopefully one of these days soon I will actually get some free time at home to start that project.

I agree these trucks need to be out running down the road. I try to keep mine exercised regularly, but sometimes life gets in the way.

This will be my 3rd set of bags. Plus side,I do know the easy way to change them now?

I might build a block to go in between the sleeper cab and frame for when it sits with out air?

I'm on my third set also (in four years). I thought about the block idea, but the only way to get it in place with the way my bed is designed is to crawl under the truck. I figured the air idea was easier. Now I just need the power to implement it.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

I replaced my first set that had 1.5 million miles,when I built my bed knowing it would be a pain to replace them later on with the bed on.

The 1st set that I put on rotted out with in 3 years and 15k miles.

This set has only been on for maybe 2 years and 5k miles

With no sign of wrought.

Would someone post a photo of the cab air bag. Mine are 3 1/2 years old and working fine.

Thanks, JohnnyB

The ones under the the back of the cab, or in the passenger seat?

Ouch! Sorry dear, I didn't see you come up behind me.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

8AF3B3B1-D2E9-48BC-8506-DB7F89CFF229_zps

Old Defective airbag

D13B432C-85E0-498E-85A4-67700C8710FE_zps

Use the forklift to lift the cab up enough to slide the old airbag out air tanks of been drained.

http://i1274. http://i1274

A784AA8A-786C-45FB-B5F0-C6E48F7C87C1_zps

Air fitting screws into the bottom of the airbag after airbag is reinstalled sorry couldn't help but polish it while It was out it's an addiction.

New airbag is installed top bolt and bottom nut are kept loose until airbag has been aired up allowing the airbag to settle into place.

http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/bronco1971/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/99F37242-C7EE-41E8-B6DF-39A1A19BBA49_zpsc7hakzql.jpg.html"%5Dhttp://s1274.photobucket.com/user/bronco1971/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/99F37242-C7EE-41E8-B6DF-39A1A19BBA49_zpsc7hakzql.jpg.html"%5Dhttp://s1274.photobucket.com/user/bronco1971/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/99F37242-C7EE-41E8-B6DF-39A1A19BBA49_zpsc7hakzql.jpg.html"%5Dhttp://s1274.photobucket.com/user/bronco1971/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/99F37242-C7EE-41E8-B6DF-39A1A19BBA49_zpsc7hakzql.jpg.html"][/url][/url][/url]99F37242-C7EE-41E8-B6DF-39A1A19BBA49_zps

Airbag is now full of air all bolts tightened soapy water for leak testing fittings all good ready to rock.

Charlie,

What if you don't have a forklift. Any tricks to getting bags out?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Charlie,

What if you don't have a forklift. Any tricks to getting bags out?

Not sure about your volvos someone else may have done it? But here are 3 different ideas.

It's a very easy job on a none rusted truck depending on room between your cab and bed.

1) see if there is room for a small bottle Jack between your sleeper and the frame.

2) floor jack on the ground with an extension up to the sleeper floor. That's how I used to do it.

3) air your bags all the way up, place a block in between the frame and sleeper, then drain all the air out of your tanks. It will be tight trying to slide the old bag out.

This really is a easy job on a none rusted truck.

You have one bolt on the top and a plastic nut on the bottom. Your airline will be a fitting like mine or a DOT push lock fitting.

The fitting like mine you must remove before loosening the bolts.

Tools needed

Way to lift cab.

9/16 wrench

1/2 wrench

1 1/8 wrench or adjustable wrench will work

Spray bottle soapy water ( leak test)

Anti-seize For top bolt is a good idea

Teflon tape for pipe fittings

Carl,

Steps I follow to change out cab air bags.....

1. Gain access to top bolt on cab air bag and spray the mounting bolt with my favorite "debunking" spray and let it mellow overnight.

2. Next morning use an air source of your choice to inflate air system on the truck to inflate cab air bags.

2. With your air system still at working pressure disconnect cab air bag leveling valve from cab and increase the pressure in the bags to raise cab upward enough to insert a wood spacer block between cabs rubber bumper stops and the frame work of the truck. (These are the stops the cab rests on when the bags are deflated). (2x4 works nicely)

3. Remove all air pressure from the truck and the storage tanks. Your choice on method used.

4. Disconnect bottom air line from airbag. Then remove fitting. I like DOT approved brass compression fittings so I changed mine out during my first bag replacement along with the air lines and the living valve.

5. There also may be a "star " shaped spring clip holding the bag to the lower mounting point where you removed the air line fitting. Remove this and reuse or get a new one when you get your replacement air bag.

6. Grasp airbag tightly around its circumference and spin it to remove it from the top mounting point. The airbag has a stud that crews into a "captive" nut that is installed in the supporting frame member that runs along the bottom of the cab. Sometimes the "debunking" procedure doesn't work so well and you need to use some addition force and leverage to spin the air bag free. Some have even cut the old bag apart and used a large pair of pliers to spin the airbag free. Just be carefull to not damage the "captive" because it's very hard to access to repair.

7. Remember this style of airbag "folds" up within itself when it is installed and properly inflated so when you purchase the replacement bag it will be long and somewhat skinny in appearance and you will need to fold it to the correct shape to install it.

8. Install top mounting stud into captive nut and tighten. Remember to apply some anti-seize to the stud before installation. This will greatly increase removal of the airbag in the future. Slide bottom of new bag into lower mounting bracket, install "star" shaped spring clip and secure to bottom of airbag. Next install air fitting and airline.

9. Inflate airbags slowly, manually using cab airbag leveling valve to raise the cab high enough to remove your wooden spacer blocks you added earlier. Do not over inflate!

10. Lower cab airbags until you can reattach the cab airbag leveling valve and check your repair for leaks.

This is the method I use. YMMV!

It is one of our easier DIY tasks.

This list of steps is for a 2005 Volvo 780 and can be different depending on make and model of truck.

It is my understanding this method should work on most Volvos. You guys with the other brands may have to fend for yourself.

If one of your bags still hold air, cap the line to the other and use the truck system to inflate good air bag. Swap first bag. Change to new bag and swap second bag. Reconnect hose.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

1 had 1.4 million on the first set of air bags. 13 years old decided to replace them because of ozone cracking. There are a lot of "will fit" imported bags floating around the market these days. I suspect some of the troubles mentioned here might have to do with that.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

1 had 1.4 million on the first set of air bags. 13 years old decided to replace them because of ozone cracking. There are a lot of "will fit" imported bags floating around the market these days. I suspect some of the troubles mentioned here might have to do with that.

All of the bags I have put on have been Kenworth OEM parts. They really just don't do well deflated and folded into themselves for extended periods of time.

event.png    

Archived