Thinking of singling my Volvo 730

RoadWarrior420

Too much hand-wringing over finding the "right" shop. The former Golden Boy of the forum, long since in ill-repute, was a waste of time for us. We got lucky, though, as other members wasted a lot of $$$ right around the same time. As said, it's not rocket science to single, just bull work. Everything is heavy, including the wrenches. If your driveline shop can't build a quality driveshaft, time to find another. Same for hiring the wrench pulling. Get a feel for a local shop. Discount if they claim to b able to do everything & anything to all trucks. Even the dealers will farm out work, at times. Once you find a shop you trust, you're miles ahead of anyone traveling half a continent to see the newest Golden Boy.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

There are competent welding shops all over who can handle this type of work. Go to any utility bed dealer and ask who they use. I'm lucky to have an old time welding shop 5 miles away who does a lot of work for dealers in the Cincinnati area. Most any town in an industrial of farming area will have such a shop.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Have you tried a Smart. Not doubting what you stated but I didn't cut frame, singled mid and I don't have 30" to spare.

Hey Glenn, I have 10' from the edge of the fairing to the hitch pin (11' total bed length). Golf cart is 49" and is loaded about 3" back from the fairing to account for cab roll. So we call it 52". The pin box on the fiver is long enough to put the coupler at the most forward part of the fiver cap. That leaves me over 5' for the trailer swing on flat ground. At 90 degrees I have a measured 16" from the GC to the side of the fiver. I don't see a Smart in our future but........ well, since I don't have one the math isn't all that important :rolleyes: .

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

But those trucks stay tandem because of the weight they haul, not for "traction". They would never consider singling due to their loads. And many logging trucks have been pulled out of the mud by that logging equipment. Look at those machines and tell me that getting stuck isn't an issue.

I've been many places where I parked the truck in the grass or dirt, next to my RV. There may come the day when I have an issue but I haven't yet. I've been down a few dirt roads, but I don't dry camp so I don't travel in that BLM land. Your mileage may vary but I didn't see anyone in this thread mentioning BLM land other than you. You keep asking "why" as if your opinion is the only one. Several people here have answered your question. If singling isn't for you, then great, but it works great for many of us and we have answered your "why". And no matter how good the difference in US/Canadian dollars is, it isn't worth spending the extra dollars to drive up yonder for work that can be done just as well down here. You have 4 posts on this forum, 2 of them are in this thread. If you read a bit more you will find there is a lot of diversity in this forum, some unique and innovative thinkers are here. Your opinion isn't the only one. While staying tandem may be the best for you, it doesn't work for others.

Thank you for noticing my comments, I appreciate you taking the time to make notes. The heading for this post was " thinking about singling" that would imply a discussion I believe. You make a good point that most of the HDT's seem to want the single, but I have see some units on the HDT Rally sites that run the tandem. The reason I ask "why" is maybe there is something I'm missing, something that can clearly justify that cost? I'm sorry but fuel mileage, tire replacement, and brakes, how often does any HDT replace them? The biggest potential reason I see is the DOT, but that is another discussion where the word "depends" is used alot... So how long before you have justified the cost of singling? I see some members are doing it themselves that's great! The way I see it, if I leave the tandem, I gain (off road) traction at no extra cost, do I lose mobility, I think that's a wash the geometry is probably inches. Has anyone done a cost comparison to justify this mod? Personally I would put the money into the rear deck and a drom box that has huge operational value!

As you have also noted I am new to posting on this forum but I was lurking on all these HDT sites for over a year now, watching learning and gathering information. I'm finally posting my opinions hoping it will help me to better understand the details of these trucks and communicate with good people that run them. I do have my own experiences with various equipment throughout my life, therefore I will have questions that are relative to my requirements. My opinions are are just that, I don't wish to impose right or wrong.

Hmmm. That was very nicely stated, Black Pearl. Diplomatic, even. I would have likely not shown such restraint.

So, I'm one who has chosen to stay tandem, and I concur with your assessment. When we bought our truck, I had intended to shorten it, but couldn't decide what wheelbase to use. A temporary bed was built, such that it would be modified when we single. Now, I see no need to do so. I should never need to replace the brakes, tires really aren't that big an issue, in my eyes. I'll run them far beyond that arbitrary 7 year mark, because of the huge safety margin I enjoy by being tandem. The space I would gain by singling really isn't a concern either, since we aren't full timing.

Oh, and btw, welcome.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

tool boxes too.

X2

We really wanted the additional storage space. Those two additional boxes store the Honda generators on one side and tools on the other. Of course the other boxes and Drom are getting filed too!

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

The reason I ask "why" is maybe there is something I'm missing, something that can clearly justify that cost? So how long before you have justified the cost of singling? Personally I would put the money into the rear deck and a drom box that has huge operational value!

I just believe when you ask "why" and get several responses from several people, and you come back asking "why" a second time, that is a bit beyond attempting to discover what you are missing. That comes off sounding as if you are discounting the answers and reasoning of the people that respond because you have some agenda. If you would have asked a real question, something that would lead to an answer about the financial justification, then you might actually get answers that give you the information you want. You received answers to "why" and you were not satisfied. Then maybe you should have asked a whole question, rather than simply repeating your "why" again.

The justification of buying an HDT isn't about "cost" in many cases. If you buy a cheap truck because that is all you can afford, then maybe any upgrade you make has to be cost justified. To change an axle ratio to get extra fuel mileage is probably not "cost effective" since you will spend money, trying to save money and will likely see no result. Deleting items for lack of usage and need, lack of desire or simply because "I like it" can never be justified by dollars. "Most" of the people here customize their HDT's because it will make their lives easier, because they like it that way or simply because they want to. They require no financial justification. They answered your "why" and yet you asked the exact same question again.

I change out the rims on my car. It cost me money. There was no financial justification, I did it because I liked them, I thought the factory rims were ugly, I wanted wider tires of the same size tires on the front and the back (something the smart does not have) and because I wanted them. If someone asked "why" I would have told them just that. If they had asked "yeah but why" a second time I would have been less willing to give them a polite answer. Either they were not listening, or they were just blowing off the reason I just explained. Why else would they simply ask the same question over when it had just been answered. If they had asked "but what about the financial justification" I would have told them that I thought the appearances, the ability to rotate the tires and my happiness far outweighed the costs. Have you seen some of the custom paint jobs here? I could never justify painting a perfectly good truck to match the trailer, but I would never question those that would. "How can you possibly justify that cost"?

Just like Jim and Wilma, wanted extra storage. Is the cost of singling their truck justified by their desire for storage? To them it is. To you it may not be. I've replaced all 6 of my tires and 1 wheel seal. Does the cost of singling justified the 4 tires I didn't have to buy and the wheel seals I will never have to replace? I don't know...and I don't care. I wanted my truck singled for the reasons I gave you, as did the others who answered your "why". I did not have to justify my desires to my wallet. You asked for reasons and you got them. If you wanted to know how we justified it financially, then you should have asked that question.

Hmmm. That was very nicely stated, Black Pearl. Diplomatic, even. I would have likely not shown such restraint.

But Rickeieio, we all know that I am as subtle as a brick through a window.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thank you for noticing my comments, I appreciate you taking the time to make notes. The heading for this post was " thinking about singling" that would imply a discussion I believe.

As you have also noted I am new to posting on this forum but I was lurking on all these HDT sites for over a year now, watching learning and gathering information. I'm finally posting my opinions hoping it will help me to better understand the details of these trucks and communicate with good people that run them. I do have my own experiences with various equipment throughout my life, therefore I will have questions that are relative to my requirements. My opinions are are just that, I don't wish to impose right or wrong.

"Black Pearl" - regarding the "heading for this post" - - The OP is looking for a shop to single his HDT.

He's *NOT* looking for pros and cons (a discussion) of/for same.

Your opinions and questions are always welcome on most sites - certainly here also.

However, since you have lurking and have other forum experiences - you know a *new* thread would be a better place to initiate...... "discussion".

Unfortunately, the server/s here have changed at least twice over the years - resulting in the loss of lots of good forum "search" info - although lots was preserved in "The Guide".

Besides "The Guide" there are lots of talented folks who have reasons and experience for their choice of tandem or single.

Start a thread - ask 'em!

Unless you purchase a truck that has already been singled - it will be tandem.

So, If you go that route as many have -obviously including the OP- you will have the choice of remaining tandem, OR - like the OP, choosing to single.

BTW - the "Golden Boy" referenced by previous posters is was the famous or infamous (take your pick) Larry Zeigler.

"Onezman" (Larry Z) purchased tandem Volvos, had them singled - then re-sold them.

Unfortunately he made some bad decisions due to his financial situation (or?) and sold -at least one- inferior conversion, resulting in some *very* Bad Karma (here).

His old posts can still be found on various forums (not here) - but he completely disappeared several years ago.

He even had a "book" (for a price) which was a "how to" (buy, single, etc.) which at one time was "pirated" and available on the forum. It was mostly good info,

Some copies may still be out there in cyberland - but now, it's all "common knowledge" anyway.

BTW - the "Golden Boy" referenced by previous posters is was the famous or infamous (take your pick) Larry Zeigler.

Nope, I was referring to the Golden Boy, flavour of the day, whatever you want to call him, after OneZMan. Still doing business in Texas. Located to the West of DFW, not the East.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Hmm.. Lets review what this discussion has provided for the topic of "Thinking of Singling";

1) There is a company that specializes in this modification.

2) A local company in the North East could be found but experience with this mod is key.

3) There can be challenges to the mod especially with a center mid axle placement.

3) Some members have accomplished this mod on there own. I want to know them!

4) Is singling the rear axles required? It appears to be based on personal requirements.

5) I suck at providing discussion material and should go to newbie school.

I think we covered everything.

KMG 365 Over and Out :D

Hmm.. Lets review what this discussion has provided for the topic of "Thinking of Singling";

<<snip>>

I think we covered everything.

KMG 365 Over and Out :D

Okay, he passed the wise a$$ test, he's in.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Okay, he passed the wise a$$ test, he's in.

I agree.. I like him. B)

And he was too polite to add #6 to his list.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Nope, I was referring to the Golden Boy, flavour of the day, whatever you want to call him, after OneZMan. Still doing business in Texas. Located to the West of DFW, not the East.

Thanks for the correction/ adjustment, LOL!

BTW - don't know why, but always thought the Zman's home base was Oregon.

Singled a 770 short 8 years ago myself with the extra hands of a good friend. Another friend with a truck shop nearby allowed me to work on it on weekends as home wasn't an option.

Did the entire job in a weekend except waiting till mon eve for the driveshaft shop to rebuild and balance the shaft.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.

It can be done.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Larry&Donna-AK

I built myself a poor man;s version using this: http://store.norgren.com/us/en/detail/valves/port-size-is-1_2-npt/actuation-is-sol_sol/v53t611aa213jb/v53-series-5_3-apb-valve-sol_sol-24vdc-1_2-npt-ports

I haven't had a chance to try it out in marginal traction conditions, but I'm hoping between the inter-axle lock (no axle diff lockers) and being able to dump the front drive or rear drive air bags individually, I should be able to work my way out of low traction situations. Pretty slick huh? :D I just can never leave good enough alone. Over active brain syndrome :mellow:

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

The way I see it there are both pros and cons to both staying tandem or singling. Personally I opted to stay tandem as I felt that in the long run it was going to offer me the most options. Things have a tendency to change as time goes by. Our setup has changed as our needs have changed over the past 6+ years in the time we have owned this truck. I intend to keep this truck as long as it continues to functional for our RVing needs. So in my case, options are good.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I have to agree with Jack. My top three are requirements are; Product experience, Quality and Pride in workmanship. That last one is very tough to find. Oh and check out the Canadian dollar vs US, just saying..

As someone mentioned earlier if your going short, I would think its not a big deal the bolt holes that are there, although, I have not actually done this job, but I do occasionally sleep at a Holiday Inn Express... If your going mid well there is a lot of things that can go wrong as Jack noted, but you won't find this out until your tires wear out prematurely..

Personally, I am looking to keep the tandem. The overall cost of singling must be considered so that leads to the question why? (licensing, CDL, cost of operation and other items aside) For me it's all about the traction, I have seen the singles (better have a locker) have challenges in certain conditions as someone noted earlier in this post. I'm planning to be in the outback, BLM or Crown Land when ever possible in USA ,Canada and the Baja. Trucks working in logging or the oil fields seem to do fine with the tandem drives in all conditions.

Only my thoughts, hope it helps.

Just an aside.....I don't think you'll be going to Baja with an HDT

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Archived