New HDT Owner - Volvo 670

chooseopen

First I would like to thank everyone that helped during the past few weeks. I am happy to report that I am a proud new HDT owner. I signed the papers on this 2007 Volvo 770 today. The previous owner got about 90% done with the conversion. He swapped the roof to a low rise, singled the rear long, and has a pretty nice bed with motorcycle lift and lots of storage.

I am already starting my to-do list. Can't wait to dig into this truck.

Edit: Looks like the truck is actually a 670 with a swapped roof.

post-54555-0-81205000-1457137360_thumb.jpg

post-54555-0-21900600-1457137381_thumb.jpg

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

You do know that is a "sleeper" behind the drivers seat? You don't "need" a trailer to attend a rally :)

BTW: nice looking truck

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Congratulations, nice truck!

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

@Harvey: Yeah I kinda suspected that it might not have been a 770 since it lacked the lower windows. I do know that the door placard has a 2006 manufacture date. Unfortunately it doesn't list the model number. I guess I will have a Volvo dealer run the VIN. Looking at pictures today I am thinking it might be a 670 with a 630 roof, which looks like a stock 630 to me anyway, lol.

The title does list it as a VNL770. Not sure there is any reason to try and get that corrected.

It would be interesting to find out what it really is.....running the VIN is a start. In any case, if you are happy with it that is what counts.

As others have said - that is not a 780 condo....looks good, though.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks guys. I successfully went down to the Illinois DMV office. Did the title transfer, paid sales/use tax, and got my RV plates. WooHoo!

I also got to get my first driving lesson from a family friend. Drove it around on country roads for about 2 hours just practicing running through the gears. Having a blast!

The VIN decoder should be in the Guide but the actual model is not in the VIN#

Need the build sheet from a dealer.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Bmzero, Took a while, but I just found the old thread. The comments about the dirtiness were probably true. Definitely not up to my standards but when I got there they had cleaned it up a bit. The interior was vacuumed and wiped down. The exterior washed up nice enough too. Definitely not detailed, but I can do that with some a little elbow grease. :)

I plan on working on some of the details with polishing the wheels, painting the bed, and building out the interior to make seating for my kids.

I will say that the engine seemed solid to us. (I will jinx myself now, lol). Not *too* clean like they were hiding something, you know?

I do have my first repair already though. Found out that I have a pinhole leak in my wet air tank. Ordered one today. Should be an easy fix.

All in all, buying anything used is a gamble. So far, I think I got a good deal but ask me again is 6 months, lol.

Bmzero, Took a while, but I just found the old thread. The comments about the dirtiness were probably true. Definitely not up to my standards but when I got there they had cleaned it up a bit. The interior was vacuumed and wiped down. The exterior washed up nice enough too. Definitely not detailed, but I can do that with some a little elbow grease. :)

I plan on working on some of the details with polishing the wheels, painting the bed, and building out the interior to make seating for my kids.

I will say that the engine seemed solid to us. (I will jinx myself now, lol). Not *too* clean like they were hiding something, you know?

I do have my first repair already though. Found out that I have a pinhole leak in my wet air tank. Ordered one today. Should be an easy fix.

All in all, buying anything used is a gamble. So far, I think I got a good deal but ask me again is 6 months, lol.

I look at vehicles like yours a little differently than most. If you can buy the truck right on the front end, you have significant savings to build the truck the way you want it. Yes, it will take more time and possibly more money in the end, but when you're finished you'll have something that you built and know inside and out. There's nothing more comforting while on the road than the confidence of knowing everything about your truck and how to fix it.

There are plenty of hotels close to the ECR. It would be great to see this truck there.

Good luck with the build. If you want an easy place to chronicle your build, take a look at www.followmybuild.com (http://www.followmybuild.com/bmzero/Volvo-730-HDT-RV-Hauler). It's a site I'm working on specifically for people building trucks like ours and other automotive projects.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• 2 weeks later...

it's a factory L4H2 (no upper window) There is a L4H4( upper window) our most poplar truck

the 770's are L5H4( upper window) and L5H2( not top window)

day cab L1

sleeper not walk in L3

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

• 4 months later...

Archived