Are membership campgrounds worth the $$

Phil Saran

We went to the RV show in Denver today and attended a seminar on Coast to Coast.

I know what the costs are, but is it worth it?

We are not full timers so only on the road a month or so a year. The rest of the

camping year is spent with our Elks Camping group one weekend a month.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

We had C to C but for us, they always seemed to be "out of our way" and some {not all} weren't that nice. we hung on to our membership for several years but decided in the end to just get rid of it.

One suggestion from a neighbor when we were looking was to make sure it was in writing that we could cancel the membership. She told me some people didn't have that clause and had to keep paying the yearly dues. That helped a lot.

We are much happier with the R.O.D. membership {Resorts of Distinction}. The parks are much nicer. You do have to have a home park like with C to C but it you do some research, you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for one.

I do agree that in your situation this type of membership park might not be for you. You might try PassPort America. We use them as we need them and they are half price but usually only good for a night or 2 at a time. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Only if you use them. We save several thousands each year, but we use them for 100+ nights. For your requirements, probably not worth it.

I agree. I looked into a couple of them as we started full timing 6 months ago. The problem that I saw was most of them were not in good locations plus a lot of them only allowed about a week in then you would have to leave for a period of time. You REALLY would need to read the fine print of the membership you would be interested in.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Only if you use them. We save several thousands each year, but we use them for 100+ nights. For your requirements, probably not worth it.

Very well put. And ask yourself what type of RV sites do you prefer as it is very important if you do buy a membership that it be the sort of place that you prefer to stay. Weigh the cost of the membership per year against the amount you now pay in fees each year.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Once the "Shiny Sales Talk" has worn off you're stuck with it, As an example we were given (free) a membership in a resort on the east coast when we camped only at weekends and on vacation.

Can't be bad for free right?

Except it had a "Maintenance" fee. That rose to $500 a year and we were bored with the place after the first year. It took us 5 years to find somebody we could give it away to!

On the other hand now we're full timers we bought a USED Thousand Trails membership. We had to pay a transfer fee and there's a "maintenance" fee but we can camp there much more and that brings the per night fee way down.

Always look for a "used" price on these memberships (E-bay, craigslist etc) that's the real value not the brand new price, find out what the maintenance fee is and if it's frozen, then remember that you aren't going to be able to just walk away from the contract. They set debt collection agencies on you in a hurry if you don't pay up, if they didn't everyone would walk away from them after the first year,

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

As Stated "If you use them" IMO having one and using it determines where you can be if that suites you OK.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We have full-timing friends who own TT, C to C, and another I've forgotten the name. Since they stay in one spot for several months, this works well for them. I did the research for our situation and determined buying such a membership is not for us. We do however recoup our membership fee for PPA within one month, the rest is low-cost parking. Each PPA member RV park sets their own rules, so read the website before making reservations. Many RV parks give a 10% discount for Escapees, Good Sam, Holiday Travel,AAA, and military vets.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Passport America and Good Sams has proven to be a much better option for us. We looked into Thousand Trails. Just can't get my arms around paying fees when I am not there...

I agree. We have these two memberships also and have paid for themselves. We tend to stay a month at a CG so the monthly rate really seems to be the best deal for us.

Years ago, before we became full-timers, we bought into Coast to Coast with a decent home park about 45 minutes away so we could go there most weekends. But, when we tried to travel using their system we found the parks too far away from anywhere we wanted to be. Then they closed our home park saying they were moving our membership to one a few hours away. Not OK. It took a letter from a lawyer to get us out of the contract but that letter cost a lot less than the annual fee for a park we would not be using. We did feel we got our money's worth in the original home park, though, so it really does depend on how you use it.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If you are considering specific parks in a particular membership group, be sure to check RVParkReviews.com and other review sites to get a sense if those particular parks would meet your needs. As someone who has read hundreds of reviews for such parks, all I'll say is that they don't all get stellar reviews.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Howdy,

Same conclusion as Nina's very complete article just posted at WheelingIt:

http://wheelingit.us/2016/01/07/rv-camping-club-memberships-are-they-worth-it/

I really liked the info in the articles on WheelingIt, it answered a lot of questions I've had.

For our needs I don't see a need/use for a Coast to Coast or similar membership at this time, I do have the

Good Sam card for it's 10% off plus AAA for the same.

From what I have found out so far the C to C campground local to us is open to the public so that is the way

I plan on going.

We enjoy our Elks camping club and the friends we have made, plus since about 80% of Elks lodges in the USA

offer some type of RV hookups for a small fee we use that while traveling if the location fits in with our

travels.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

We have Passport America and it always pays for itself the first long weekend we use it. As Dutch and Di mentioned quite a few parks have a 2 night Max, but like us you are only camping for 2 nights most of the time. They do have parks that allow 7 days and most all have black out dates. A few years ago we stayed in Marathon Florida using Passport America and they allowed us 4 days. The site was right on the Gulf of Mexico. If you are a Good Sam member they sometimes have specials where you get 15 months for the price of 12. Also, usually at RV shows Passport America has a booth with the same special.

Going to the Big show this weekend in Tampa.

event.png

WE also use Passport America. Two nights in Nashville at $62 versus that per night to see our oldest daughter. Nothing much else open at this time of year.

Elks lodges, PA parks, GS, FMCA, and Escapees parks and discount. Or our favorites COE, NP's at half price. Or days end spots at little cost. Medically delayed snowbird trip from Maine to the Rio Grande Valley was two nights in Nashville, three nights in a friend's driveway, the rest were rest areas four nights. Not a real pleasant trip but we've gone from -10F to 65F. Tomorrow we'll park for three months before starting our trip to Alaska. We are looking forward to sun, warmth and swimming pool.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

WE also use Passport America. Two nights in Nashville at $62 versus that per night to see our oldest daughter. Nothing much else open at this time of year.

Elks lodges, PA parks, GS, FMCA, and Escapees parks and discount. Or our favorites COE, NP's at half price. Or days end spots at little cost. Medically delayed snowbird trip from Maine to the Rio Grande Valley was two nights in Nashville, three nights in a friend's driveway, the rest were rest areas four nights. Not a real pleasant trip but we've gone from -10F to 65F. Tomorrow we'll park for three months before starting our trip to Alaska. We are looking forward to sun, warmth and swimming pool.

Bill

Bill I just looked into becoming a elk lodge member, but it seems like a process to become one. I think they tend to have good locations and good rates. But there places are a no frills site. Which is OK with me as we explorer the area.

I've been told that Elks is a process if you join a local lodge, but that there may be a sort of group induction at Escapades. Can anyone tell me if that will happen at Essex Junction this year? We'd like more information, but are considering it because we've seen several in areas we'd like to stay where the rates everywhere are high (CA, I'm looking at you!).

When I joined the local Elks lodge, I completed an application, handed it to the bartender, he handed me a door key. That was it, I was told later I had been voted into the lodge.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The Gila Bend, AZ. Elks Lodge caters to RVers. Dues at lodges varies by amenities at the particular lodge.

But I think you have to be a member to stay at one. Atleast that is what I was told at the Arlington,TX lodge.

When I joined the local Elks lodge, I completed an application, handed it to the bartender, he handed me a door key. That was it, I was told later I had been voted into the lodge.

So have Elks Lodges done away with their rituals? See pages 2 through 4 of the BPOE Ritual Changes for 2012-13.

See also, How To Join from the BPOE of the United States of America website.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't know about that Kirk. I joined in 1993. The lack of form turned me off, never renewed my membership. Yes, an initiation or something similar would have made a difference. It was like they only wanted my money.

Archived