Will your wife or girlfriend drive the HDT?

The Few

Hello all, just a few questions for all you duty experts out there..

Now that I have my wife's attention, and she is all thumbs up with us getting this HDT RV hauler, I asked her a question that I assumed would be an easy answer..

I asked her, if she plans to drive the HDT as well, and she gave me a look that I DID NOT want to see or expected.. ( she looked at me as if I just told her we are broke)!!

She is intimidated of the size and width, but I assured her that it would be a great experience, as I have watched other ladies on you tube driving them for the first time and they enjoyed them..

SO, what experiences has your wife or significant other had with driving these trucks on the road?

I would appreciate any feedback!

The Few

The Few

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine will drive but she prefers not to. The differences in the operating systems do take some time to get used to.

Brake feel and shifting are different than a pickup truck.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

My wife has driven the truck but not pulling the camper...my girlfriend has not driven the truck...oops, just kidding on the GF part. I want my wife to drive towing so that she would feel more comfortable if she had to drive it in case of an emergency. i think the first towing experience would be better done under non emergency conditions. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

While we haven't had an HDT, we did have an MDT which I drove, both solo and pulling the fifth wheel. I would have no problem or hesitation driving an HDT.

You might want to consider taking an RV driving class which should go a long way in helping your wife feel comfortable in driving your rig. While she might prefer not to, and not do it often, she should at least be comfortable in doing so in case an emergency ever came up where you were unavailable or unable to drive.

http://www.rvschool.com/

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Danielle drives both towing and non-towing. It is not difficult, only "different". BUT, that does depend on the truck.

With our Gen 1 610 with auto shift Danielle - at 5' 1" - had a VERY difficult time with the clutch. And the driving position of that truck for short people was, lets just say, "challenging".

On our Gen 2 with I Shift she not only has a far more comfortable driving position, but the automated trans makes a huge difference for her.

So there is no "one" answer on driveability for smaller people.

On the size issues - it is interesting. I've taught many people to drive that were very intimidated. One question to ask is "Are you comfortable with driving (or learning to drive) a motorhome". Typically the answer is Yes. Well, the HDT is no different than a MH on the road. In fact many MH's have a far greater wheelbase and are far more challenging to drive. Now, add the trailer and it is a different story...that does require some additional training. But many people are less intimidated by a MH than the "big truck". Which is kinda interesting, to me, anyway....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Danielle drives both towing and non-towing. It is not difficult, only "different". BUT, that does depend on the truck.

With our Gen 1 610 with auto shift Danielle - at 5' 1" - had a VERY difficult time with the clutch. And the driving position of that truck for short people was, lets just say, "challenging".

On our Gen 2 with I Shift she not only has a far more comfortable driving position, but the automated trans makes a huge difference for her.

On the size issues - it is interesting. I've taught many people to drive that were very intimidated. One question to ask is "Are you comfortable with driving (or learning to drive) a motorhome". Typically the answer is Yes. Well, the HDT is no different than a MH on the road. In fact many MH's have a far greater wheelbase and are far more challenging to drive. Now, add the trailer and it is a different story...that does require some additional training. But many people are less intimidated by a MH than the "big truck". Which is kinda interesting, to me, anyway....

good Answer Jack!!

I think she would do fine, but I will have her in empty parking lots for as long as she is ready to step up to something more challenging.. Crawl, walk, run!!!

The Few

To Jacks point have your wife observe school buses for a while ,look at the typical SB driver - if they can do it so can she .

I find the SB sometimes more difficult to get around in then my truck and trailer.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

While we haven't had an HDT, we did have an MDT which I drove, both solo and pulling the fifth wheel. I would have no problem or hesitation driving an HDT.

You might want to consider taking an RV driving class which should go a long way in helping your wife feel comfortable in driving your rig. While she might prefer not to, and not do it often, she should at least be comfortable in doing so in case an emergency ever came up where you were unavailable or unable to drive.

http://www.rvschool.com/

Thank you Linda,

I would feel MUCH BETTER if we did this together, because we have to be confident with each other..

ALSO, I would rather teach my own wife than some other person... It has a LOT to do with comfort, trust, and just plain fun...

The Few

Picture is worth 1,000 words, 40 years ago, how that for a "trust".

img138.jpg

40 years later, she learned to multitask even further.

2131168290096176628mDMuGz_fs.jpg

But she'll drive, fly or skipper anything that moves,

RDBE%25201b.jpg

and teaches other ladies how to drive big rigs.

2368828050096176628CYbAvH_fs.jpg

RDBE%25202.jpg

RDBE%25203.jpg

RDBE%25204.jpg,

Phoenix

I can only tell you that I am shooting to be in your shoes! You have been with each other for over 40 years, and still at it strong!

PLUS, you married someone that is NOT afraid to take charge.. Congrats to you and the "Captain" sir!!

And for all of you other men out there that "ALSO" has the ultimate "Captain" in your life, my hats off to you as well!! That is what makes life and being together THAT MUCH MORE enjoyable!!

The Few

I think she would do fine, but I will have her in empty parking lots for as long as she is ready to step up to something more challenging.. Crawl, walk, run!!!

That's exactly how I got my wife to drive our T2000.

She was entirely supportive of purchasing an HDT (but then, a few years earlier she'd been horrified by having to watch as a travel trailer with malfunctioning electric trailer brakes pushed me through a very busy intersection against the light), but adamantly opposed to driving it herself. After a few months of riding along, I suggested one Sunday afternoon that we take the truck to the parking lot of a former grocery store so that she could learn to drive it. After a few sessions in that parking lot she was willing to drive it on the road, and has driven it many times since.

She still insists, though, that she isn't interested in towing on the highway.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

That's exactly how I got my wife to drive our T2000.

She was entirely supportive of purchasing an HDT (but then, a few years earlier she'd been horrified by having to watch as a travel trailer with malfunctioning electric trailer brakes pushed me through a very busy intersection against the light), but adamantly opposed to driving it herself. After a few months of riding along, I suggested one Sunday afternoon that we take the truck to the parking lot of a former grocery store so that she could learn to drive it. After a few sessions in that parking lot she was willing to drive it on the road, and has driven it many times since.

She still insists, though, that she isn't interested in towing on the highway.

Hello Phil,

Yes sir, we know what's best for our situation!!

As I mentioned before, in order for my wife to have the confidence to even attempt to drive is, we MUST have patience, time and support!!

I let her know, she is just going to learn to crawl and walk, before she can run..

Thank you for your input sir!!

The Few

Here in our province you can drive a HDT single axle with a class 5 license but, require an air brake endorsement "Q" rating. When I was going to take the air brake class I suggested to my DW that it would be good for here to have this as well if like mentioned there was an emergency. So, we did the class and exams that followed and she also got her air brake endorsement. I do all of the driving and she reminds me that she will drive if there was an emergency. :)

Here in our province you can drive a HDT single axle with a class 5 license but, require an air brake endorsement "Q" rating. When I was going to take the air brake class I suggested to my DW that it would be good for here to have this as well if like mentioned there was an emergency. So, we did the class and exams that followed and she also got her air brake endorsement. I do all of the driving and she reminds me that she will drive if there was an emergency. :)

RickS

I don't blame her, I would be nervous to drive that beautiful set up as well..

As soon as I run over a curb, I "DO NOT" want to hear your mouth!!! LOL

The Few

RickS

I don't blame her, I would be nervous to drive that beautiful set up as well..

Well, I got to drive that truck and nothing bad happened.....well, nothing we told Rick about, anyway. ;)

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

To The Few's Wife:

Read through this thread, paying special attention to those beautiful ladies in Phoenix 2013's response. I don't know about you, but it simply warmed the cockles of me ole' heart. You can do it, girl! Stretch, and enjoy the feeling of tremendous accomplishment once you are comfortable with the task. Then--yes then!--enjoy the looks you get as you go strutting down that road, all in charge. And when you hop out of the driver's side at the campground after nudging your sweet hubby awake, smile, apply a little lipstick, and have a nice walk, hand-in-hand. You have both earned it.

Good luck and enjoy!

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

The few,

The secret to marital "longevity" is the ability to tolerate "each other hobbies", she liked traveling, I liked many other things.

I rebuilt one of these in my garage over a period of three years.

img007.jpg

She made a decision that if "that idiot" spends three years in the garage I'm going to get my ticket and fly it when he's done".

img029.jpg

This was the day she was "examining" a Volvo 770 to decide if it was going to be the smaller 610 or 770.

Volvo.JPG

She decided on the spot that she "could handle" the larger 770.

She decided on the spot that she "could handle" the larger 770.

Phoenix, even in your elderly state you may recall a conversation we had on the phone once where I advised you pretty strongly "not to drive that road at night" when you were coming by my way in your new truck.....

Now, had I known you were going to hoodwink your woman into driving that stretch I would have kept my mouth shut....If I recall, your "excuse" was you wanted to take pictures of the mountains....but you might have neglected to tell her what I had said....

Good thing the women are very capable drivers.... ;)

www.jackdanmayer.com

The wife will drive our HDT both with and without the trailer. She hasn't backed it up yet though or hooked up yet. Prefers to leave that for me.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

DW took my rig ice skating.... Wish I had been there for that one. :D

There are a lot of women driving class 8 trucks to earn a living today.

Jack is right about the MH thing - I'd rather drive my 30 foot sport car than a 45 foot motor home - although we probably have similar turning radii. DW will talk to anyone about driving -if your wife just needs to hear it from other women bring her to the National Rally or next year's ECR. Or PM some of the ladies to arrange a conversation. My DW doesn't "prefer" to back up, but practice will get her there.

If your DW is willing to try go for it.... It is so much better than a dually pickup!

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

RDBE%25202.jpg

This photo answers the question of if she drives ......

That was her first time driving a HDT back in 2009. Now when asked she will take anybody out for a lesson.

She drives both bobtail and with trailer. When originally discussing a HDT she figured she would only drive a drive once or twice just to say that she has. But as you can see from the smile that would not be enough. As for the size, once she drove the truck and realized it was not as difficult as she made it out to be in her mind, the size was less of a issue.

On long stretches it is nice to split up the driving. It even gives me a opportunity to do my impression of the old goat as seen in his first photo. It is important to inspect the inside of the eye lids, assuming you not the one driving.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

My wife has driven bobtail for a few years and this year started pulling the Teton. It was a process for her as our Volvo is a manual 10 speed. I gave her a gearmaster for her birthday and that's all she wrote....she managed Boise morning traffic and did her first Oregon 2 lane highway today. It was particularly pleasing to hear her cursing the idiots who want to pass, then dawdle during the pass and then pull in two feet in front of our rig.......oh, now she is driving she wants more bling for the truck...gotta look good when you are driving!

Bruce

1999 Volvo 610 Detroit 12.7, 4.70, 10 speed, 40' Teton

Too many motorcycles and not enough time

www.shredx.net

Archived