Will your wife or girlfriend drive the HDT?

The Few

Volvo 770 "living".

RDBE%25201a.jpg

Try doing this in "this style" in a pickup. The Old Goat spends a lot of time back there, preparing meals and snacks, reading. computing, catching some zzzzis, while she drives,

072.jpg

although, it is rumored that he can do his part also.

071.jpg

Because we have no need to "observe each others" we've been able to do 12-16 hours "behind wheel days" when we had to "make time" on occasions. The Old Goat likes to "relinquish" the left seat when we enter the campgrounds, just to see the "look" on the guys' faces when "she drives this thing in".

034b.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be careful guys.........I had a friend that had a very nice Learjet, they require two pilots........his wife became "interested" in flying and he thought that is so cool now she can become my copilot........she was a natural pilot and quickly became Lear-type-rated.........

Next they had two Lears.......the "new Lear" had pink trim and he was the copilot.........be careful what you wish for......

Cheers

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

To The Few's Wife:

Read through this thread, paying special attention to those beautiful ladies in Phoenix 2013's response. I don't know about you, but it simply warmed the cockles of me ole' heart. You can do it, girl! Stretch, and enjoy the feeling of tremendous accomplishment once you are comfortable with the task. Then--yes then!--enjoy the looks you get as you go strutting down that road, all in charge. And when you hop out of the driver's side at the campground after nudging your sweet hubby awake, smile, apply a little lipstick, and have a nice walk, hand-in-hand. You have both earned it.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thank You Carolaow,

That's the BEST mothers day Present she has had so far!!

VERY nice words of encouragement, and I will show her this as soon as she wakes up!!

Being nice to others is a good thing, but being nice to others "all the time", just shows what type of person you really are..

Blessings!!

The Few

Hmm.

img011.jpg

img143.jpg

I started with a Piper PA140 back in 1995, and now I have 520 simple hours of flight time under my belt.. I had a choice to either buy a single engine plane, or an HDT..

It wasn't even a choice, the " BOSS" made up her mind!!

I wanted the plane, but trust me, I didn't EVEN want to try to reason, debate, OR assimilate her thoughts.. When NO means NO, LEAVE IT ALONE 'brother"!!

Besides, she is normally right...

As a man, I still have a LOT of boy in me.. Hence why I want a HDT, so we can BOTH share... (laugh)

The Few

I agree with all the above but for some/me it is not going to work. When very young DW had a real scare when a truck drifted out if his lane when her Dad was passing and side swept them. She has always been afraid to even pass HDT's ever since. Fast forward and she is so nervous riding with me she takes an anti-anxiety pill to keep calm specially if we are doing bad traffic like recently on I-10 through El Paso or traveling around San Antonio on this same trip. Now she is getting better and calmer which I am not sure is the pills or just more time in the truck.

This also has the Meritor 10 speed and even with the Gear Master at times can be a pain. I have tried to get here to at least in an empty parking lot get behind the wheel and get it in gear and creep around a little bobtail but no deal. Let see 3 years trying and still no joy. If something happens to me hopefully my brother who is a OTR driver will be available or she will have to call our travel assistance who says they will provide a driver.

I just want to say that sometimes even like me after 49 years of marriage you know it is not going to work but will keep trying. She has supported me in all my crazy endeavors including like Phoenix flying and building my own airplane a Dragonfly. Gosh that was fun but she never got her pilots license but she flew with me for years with no fear. But the HDT no way so go figure so I have an other alternative in place.

I will keep trying though!!! ;)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Phoenix.......

Why does the wife takeoff behind us.........land ahead of us........use less runway.....use less fuel.......and.......and .....get the best tie-down........( or she gets the hanger and we tie-down in the weeds).

Be careful what you wish for.........

Cheers

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Be careful guys.........I had a friend that had a very nice Learjet, they require two pilots........his wife became "interested" in flying and he thought that is so cool now she can become my copilot........she was a natural pilot and quickly became Lear-type-rated.........

Next they had two Lears.......the "new Lear" had pink trim and he was the copilot.........be careful what you wish for......

Cheers

MAN,

Who is your friend, Bill Gates??? (laugh)

The Few

I agree with all the above but for some/me it is not going to work. When very young DW had a real scare when a truck drifted out if his lane when her Dad was passing and side swept them. She has always been afraid to even pass HDT's ever since. Fast forward and she is so nervous riding with me she takes an anti-anxiety pill to keep calm specially if we are doing bad traffic like recently on I-10 through El Paso or traveling around San Antonio on this same trip. Now she is getting better and calmer which I am not sure is the pills or just more time in the truck.

This also has the Meritor 10 speed and even with the Gear Master at times can be a pain. I have tried to get here to at least in an empty parking lot get behind the wheel and get it in gear and creep around a little bobtail but no deal. Let see 3 years trying and still no joy. If something happens to me hopefully my brother who is a OTR driver will be available or she will have to call our travel assistance who says they will provide a driver.

I just want to say that sometimes even like me after 49 years of marriage you know it is not going to work but will keep trying. She has supported me in all my crazy endeavors including like Phoenix flying and building my own airplane a Dragonfly. Gosh that was fun but she never got her pilots license but she flew with me for years with no fear. But the HDT no way so go figure so I have an other alternative in place.

Man Bob, I admire you for you persistence!

I tell you what, lets both try and convince our wife's to fly!

How can we lose?? If they leave us, we would still have a place to lay our heads with the HDT RV hauler, right?

And also, the added benefit of an empty right seat on the plane... (laugh)

The Few

even on a good day the meritor manual transmission can be a pain if your not exactly on the money. the Eatons are more forgiving BY far.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Phoenix, even in your elderly state you may recall a conversation we had on the phone once where I advised you pretty strongly "not to drive that road at night" when you were coming by my way in your new truck.....

Now, had I known you were going to hoodwink your woman into driving that stretch I would have kept my mouth shut....If I recall, your "excuse" was you wanted to take pictures of the mountains....but you might have neglected to tell her what I had said....

Good thing the women are very capable drivers.... ;)

Only few of the "veterans" know what Jack is talking about here.

Upon attaining all the "HDT wisdom from Jack" the chosen Volvo 770 was purchased from the a broker in Salt Lake City, Utah and serviced and singled by Salt Lake City Volvo dealer. Flight was arranged to Utah from New Hampshire to pay for the truck commence ferrying of the said truck across country. The broker, also a professional truck driver, arranged to teach the "pair" how to drive a semi with an Autoshift transmission. The lessons (total) were 25 minutes, first "the male" attempted to do it (for 15 minutes), he stalled the truck once, yes you do have to put the clutch in on an Autoshift when you come to a complete stop. Stalling a diesel engine producing 450HP and 1,650 foot pound of torque is a pretty violent event, you will only do it once. "The female" was next, since she saw it, she did not stall the truck and "graduated" in 10 minutes.

The trip east put us pretty quickly on I-70. I-70 through Utah, Colorado and the Rockies is one of the most spectacular roads in the country http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_70 We stopped at many roadside attractions in Utah,

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

Before encountering number of the long (several miles) 6% plus down grades.

DSC_0039.JPG

With several of these available "just in case".

DSC_0040.JPG

When they posted 6%, they meant it!

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Entering Colorado put us right smack in the middle of the Rockies,

DSC_0043.JPG

and I-70 following the the Colorado River.

DSC_0049.JPG

Then through the spectacular Glenwood Canyon.

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

Since Jack was largely responsible for our purchase of the HDT we decided to spend a night (with our mentor) In Woodland Park RV resort that Jack manages. Which meant getting off I-70 and going south. I investigated the map and spotted that route 24 was designated as one of the most scenic routes in Colorado and it led into Woodland Park. Since we still had some daylight left I felt we could push on into the night on 24. I called Jack with that idea. Jack's immediate response was, DO NOT DRIVE ROUTE 24 IN THE DARK!!!!! I didn't know what the big deal was since I am an "expert" night driver, but we decided to bunk in the truck and start again in the morning. I drove the rest of the I-70 and just before the route 24 turnoff I pulled to the rest area and suggested that perhaps the DW could have a go at route 24 in her new truck, after all she showed a great promise during her 10 minute lesson.

OK little about the route 24, it goes to Pikes Peak elevation 14,000 feet, the section we were traveling crested at over 10,000 feet then went down to around 6,000 feet where Jack is. Average speed is between 25 and 35 mph and whatever speed they post they mean it, because of switch backs like this.

DSC_0065.JPG

That pickup with the fifth is coming towards us around a turn and it just crossed this bridge.

DSC_0066.JPG

Note the general absence of guardrails, I can appreciate the thought, "why obstruct the view downward".

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

After arriving at Jack's place, the wife commented on the rotten trick I pulled on her, trying to keep the truck on the road she couldn't appreciate any of the scenery I was so diligently photographing.

I had to agree with Jack that driving this road at night (especially as a newbie) would have been a very bad idea.

Jacolyn has no problem driving and towing. We try to break up the day so each of us drives some each day. IMHO EVERYONE should know how to drive the rig while towing if for no other reason than to be able to do it in an emergency.

We were in a park once where the husband had a heart attack and the wife did not know how to drive the motorhome. Someone else had to bring it in for her.

We also heard someone say once that if he got sick or hurt he would then show his wife how to do it. Stupidest thing I ever heard someone say.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Phoenix, that section of 24 up Tennessee Pass is "interesting". When we spent the spring in Moab working at Arches and 4-wheeling before opening the campground we used to drive that pass with the Jeep double towing. Danielle "swears" she could look out the passenger window and look down on the Jeep following us on some of the switchbacks. I think she was "exaggerating", but we were about 84' :) . In any event, not a road I would recommend at night for a first time driver....or actually, for any driver. It can be pretty "devilish". And with stock Volvo lights I would not even think about it. Scrap, have you ever "tested" on that road?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Susan is licensed and drives. She is more than capable to drive anywhere but mostly drives on the interstate. She started on the interstate going from one rest stop to the other. The maneuvering is easy to start and end in most rest sops and the driving is easy. This experience makes for an easy adjustment with the larger vehicle in the same size lane. Maneuver practice (backing and turning) was done in a very large parking lot with very few obstacles. These places are great for building confidence.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Only few of the "veterans" know what Jack is talking about here.

Upon attaining all the "HDT wisdom from Jack" the chosen Volvo 770 was purchased from the a broker in Salt Lake City, Utah and serviced and singled by Salt Lake City Volvo dealer. Flight was arranged to Utah from New Hampshire to pay for the truck commence ferrying of the said truck across country. The broker, also a professional truck driver, arranged to teach the "pair" how to drive a semi with an Autoshift transmission. The lessons (total) were 25 minutes, first "the male" attempted to do it (for 15 minutes), he stalled the truck once, yes you do have to put the clutch in on an Autoshift when you come to a complete stop. Stalling a diesel engine producing 450HP and 1,650 foot pound of torque is a pretty violent event, you will only do it once. "The female" was next, since she saw it, she did not stall the truck and "graduated" in 10 minutes.

The trip east put us pretty quickly on I-70. I-70 through Utah, Colorado and the Rockies is one of the most spectacular roads in the country http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_70 We stopped at many roadside attractions in Utah,

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

Before encountering number of the long (several miles) 6% plus down grades.

DSC_0039.JPG

With several of these available "just in case".

DSC_0040.JPG

When they posted 6%, they meant it!

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Entering Colorado put us right smack in the middle of the Rockies,

DSC_0043.JPG

and I-70 following the the Colorado River.

DSC_0049.JPG

Then through the spectacular Glenwood Canyon.

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

Since Jack was largely responsible for our purchase of the HDT we decided to spend a night (with our mentor) In Woodland Park RV resort that Jack manages. Which meant getting off I-70 and going south. I investigated the map and spotted that route 24 was designated as one of the most scenic routes in Colorado and it led into Woodland Park. Since we still had some daylight left I felt we could push on into the night on 24. I called Jack with that idea. Jack's immediate response was, DO NOT DRIVE ROUTE 24 IN THE DARK!!!!! I didn't know what the big deal was since I am an "expert" night driver, but we decided to bunk in the truck and start again in the morning. I drove the rest of the I-70 and just before the route 24 turnoff I pulled to the rest area and suggested that perhaps the DW could have a go at route 24 in her new truck, after all she showed a great promise during her 10 minute lesson.

OK little about the route 24, it goes to Pikes Peak elevation 14,000 feet, the section we were traveling crested at over 10,000 feet then went down to around 6,000 feet where Jack is. Average speed is between 25 and 35 mph and whatever speed they post they mean it, because of switch backs like this.

DSC_0065.JPG

That pickup with the fifth is coming towards us around a turn and it just crossed this bridge.

DSC_0066.JPG

Note the general absence of guardrails, I can appreciate the thought, "why obstruct the view downward".

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

After arriving at Jack's place, the wife commented on the rotten trick I pulled on her, trying to keep the truck on the road she couldn't appreciate any of the scenery I was so diligently photographing.

I had to agree with Jack that driving this road at night (especially as a newbie) would have been a very bad idea.

WOW, those pictures are FANOMINAL!!

Thank you for giving us a visual of some of the astonishing areas in our great country.. I " for one" have never been to that part of the US, but I have made a mental note to visit.. You saved me a lot of grief by posting those pictures, and now I WANT TO GO THERE!!!

The Few

Thank you for giving us a visual of some of the astonishing areas in our great country.. I " for one" have never been to that part of the US, but I have made a mental note to visit.. You saved me a lot of grief by posting those pictures, and now I WANT TO GO THERE!!!

Come on out. I'll get you into a spot.....we can almost always fit in our HDT friends....Although I sometimes like to challenge them on getting into/out of some of their spots.Mark Bruss, Rocky and David come to mind... but usually we can save a 100'+ pull through for them.

It is snowing hard out right now. Here is Rocky and Sherry last May:

20140511_160053.jpg

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The Few, couple years later I had another chance to make the same trip helping a new owner (below) to ferry this rig from Nevada to Massachusetts.

DSC_0021.JPG

He asked me if I was willing to do it for him, all expenses paid, does this answer his question?

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

Snow in the Rockies in the middle of summer! We were over 10,000 feet in those pictures.

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

They do have flat lands and towns in the valleys,

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

This was the day in Nevada he and I were practicing with just the truck how to use and shift 10 speed manual tranny.

Millenium%2520Falcon%252C%2520first%2520

Let us say that "our training" was incomplete the day we hooked up and started the eastbound trek.

Royals%252C%2520Garth%2520and%2520Frank%

After couple thousand miles the new owner was becoming one with the truck and trailer.

DSC_0087.JPG

Installing the Gear Master (the unit on the dash in front of him) had a lot to do with him and I becoming "float shifters". The unit was installed while we were visiting Jack in Woodland Park.

The Few, couple years later I had another chance to make the same trip helping a new owner (below) to ferry this rig from Nevada to Massachusetts.

DSC_0021.JPG

He asked me if I was willing to do it for him, all expenses paid, does this answer his question?

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

Snow in the Rockies in the middle of summer! We were over 10,000 feet in those pictures.

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

They do have flat lands and towns in the valleys,

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

This was the day in Nevada he and I were practicing with just the truck how to use and shift 10 speed manual tranny.

Millenium%20Falcon%2C%20first%20takeoff.

Let us say that "our training" was incomplete the day we hooked up and started the eastbound trek.

Royals%2C%20Garth%20and%20Frank%20celebr

After couple thousand miles the new owner was becoming one with the truck and trailer.

DSC_0087.JPG

Installing the Gear Master (the unit on the dash in front of him) had a lot to do with him and I becoming "float shifters". The unit was installed while we were visiting Jack in Woodland Park.

Those are some of the most beautiful "gods country" pictures I have seen lately!!

Thank you again for posting them PHOENIX!!!!

The Few

That's why we RV! We started modestly, like many others, with cross country travel in 1969 in a car with my girlfriend, 6,000 miles in a week and half. First time I "really" got the appreciation for the size and beauty of this country.

Month later I turned the girlfriend into wife, figured if we can do it once we can do it again. But like I said the "beginnings were modest.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Come on out. I'll get you into a spot.....we can almost always fit in our HDT friends....Although I sometimes like to challenge them on getting into/out of some of their spots.Mark Bruss, Rocky and David come to mind... but usually we can save a 100'+ pull through for them.

It is snowing hard out right now. Here is Rocky and Sherry last May:

20140511_160053.jpg

Jack, I understand you are up to 7 inches of snow, I feel your pain.

DSC_0102.JPG

It's getting too hot even for the neighborhood alligator.

Wally%2520gator%2520sunning_c.jpg

He no longer spends time on the bank, he's mostly in the water with just the nose and the eyeballs out of the water.

IMG_0827.JPG

Man Bob, I admire you for you persistence!

I tell you what, lets both try and convince our wife's to fly!

How can we lose?? If they leave us, we would still have a place to lay our heads with the HDT RV hauler, right?

And also, the added benefit of an empty right seat on the plane... (laugh)

Very true but I would be more likely to get her to fly. I decided to stop flying and sold the plane before I got her into co-pilot classes. Decided flying and owning of a plane a to expensive hobby now it is HDT go figure!!!! :)

even on a good day the meritor manual transmission can be a pain if your not exactly on the money. the Eatons are more forgiving BY far.

Your absolutely correct the old Meritor's is where the term gear jammer came from I think. I learned on the old 18 speed with the brownie I don't remember the manufacture I was like 10 or 12. The frustrating part is really the Meritor seems to be inconsistent. If you are at the same speed and RPM's and it slips in perfectly the next time all the same speed, RPM and gear it does not or appears everything is the same. I have a brother OTR for lots of years(40+) shifts so smooth it is really fun to watch in anything he is driving. He told me when he had a truck with a Meritor he said the same thing made him look bad. Still fun and a challenge with me getting better or I am rounding off the tips of the gear teeth!!! :P

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

It's odd but with the ole "road-rager" I will be floating shifts into the big gates and IF I get even close it will often "suck" itself into gear but sometimes in it's eagerness to please it will sit for a moment in half of the gear so you need to back off throttle just a little to let it fall all the way into gear.

Sometimes I think the tranny has a brain and it wants to play with what little mind I have left.......on the days when me and ole ranger are "in-the-grove" I will be between stop lights and I will likely be floating between 6th into 7th and .........NOTHING.......no gate, no detention, no gear lash.......Nothing.........engine and tranny are in a state of......"shift-nirvana" so to speak........for a moment you say ......did the shifter fork finally fall to the bottom of the gearbox? So I gently press the throttle and sure enough it's in gear and sometimes I think I hear the tranny chuckles at me........

Don't get me wrong......no one needs me to teach tranny ops.....my famous 1st to 2nd with a touch of Rev has so far never been allowed by to ole "10" ......so far........

Ladies have a advantage over guys.........they often have a calm manner with trucks , where guys have bigger arm muscles and we can grind gears better........

Happy grinding...

Hello Dolly,

I do agree with you, that women in general are more prone to calm thoughts, but I beg to differ your quote about the arm muscles!!

I have seen some women with arms bigger than mine!! On that same note, I have seen some of the same women with more "facial hair" than I have as well!!! LOL

Their appearance was a bit aggressive, but their hearts made me a fan!!!!

Nicest bunch of people I have met that week!!

That's why I will NEVER judge a person by what I see, styreotypical rumors or any other reason not to like them!! I always give the benifit of the doubt.. ( within reason)...

The Few

I came across this picture of the DW doing her first drive of the HDT. Church parking lots on a weekday work real good. Plus I guess she had a good teacher. :D

DSC04279.jpg

She says the view of the road is much better than our dually and she rides with out any air in the seat as she doesn't like the bouncing.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I came across this picture of the DW doing her first drive of the HDT. Church parking lots on a weekday work real good. Plus I guess she had a good teacher. :D

DSC04279.jpg

She says the view of the road is much better than our dually and she rides with out any air in the seat as she doesn't like the bouncing.

Dave

DW says the same from the passenger seat. Says with air feels like a bobble head!!!! :rolleyes:

Archived