Will your wife or girlfriend drive the HDT?

The Few

Very true but I would be more likely to get her to fly. I decided to stop flying and sold the plane before I got her into co-pilot classes. Decided flying and owning of a plane a to expensive hobby now it is HDT go figure!!!! :)

Your absolutely correct the old Meritor's is where the term gear jammer came from I think. I learned on the old 18 speed with the brownie I don't remember the manufacture I was like 10 or 12. The frustrating part is really the Meritor seems to be inconsistent. If you are at the same speed and RPM's and it slips in perfectly the next time all the same speed, RPM and gear it does not or appears everything is the same. I have a brother OTR for lots of years(40+) shifts so smooth it is really fun to watch in anything he is driving. He told me when he had a truck with a Meritor he said the same thing made him look bad. Still fun and a challenge with me getting better or I am rounding off the tips of the gear teeth!!! :P

glad you have more patience than me with them. for what a reman eaton 10 or 13 speed costs , i wouldnt hesitate to change the transmission to a eaton in a heartbeat...

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's odd but with the ole "road-rager" I will be floating shifts into the big gates and IF I get even close it will often "suck" itself into gear but sometimes in it's eagerness to please it will sit for a moment in half of the gear so you need to back off throttle just a little to let it fall all the way into gear.

Sometimes I think the tranny has a brain and it wants to play with what little mind I have left.......on the days when me and ole ranger are "in-the-grove" I will be between stop lights and I will likely be floating between 6th into 7th and .........NOTHING.......no gate, no detention, no gear lash.......Nothing.........engine and tranny are in a state of......"shift-nirvana" so to speak........for a moment you say ......did the shifter fork finally fall to the bottom of the gearbox? So I gently press the throttle and sure enough it's in gear and sometimes I think I hear the tranny chuckles at me........

Don't get me wrong......no one needs me to teach tranny ops.....my famous 1st to 2nd with a touch of Rev has so far never been allowed by to ole "10" ......so far........

Ladies have a advantage over guys.........they often have a calm manner with trucks , where guys have bigger arm muscles and we can grind gears better........

Happy grinding...

my Eaton is too new (brand new 20k ago) to slide out of gear on the downshift without a tap from the clutch. otherwise i dont touch the ole clutch except at a dead stop.

(brand new 20k ago due to my friend wanting my 13 speed which had less than 80k on it (reman) and willing to not wait for what we ordered for her truck, so my 13 speed

ended up in hers and i got her brand new 18 speed)

no grinding going on here. :-)

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Archived