RV Banking

We have found that the only issue with banks or credit unions are the fees for ATMs. Other then that it doesn't matter where the bank is located.

I am cheap and don't ever want to pay those fees to get my money. If you have some idea where you will be traveling

you could bank at a bank that has branches in those areas. I have been told that if you bank at a credit union you can use most credit unions

all over the country to get cash at their ATM without any fees. We bank at Chase because they are were we travel to mostly. Good Luck

If you or a family member are retired or honorably discharged military, USAA Federal Savings Bank is excellent. Everything is on-line. You can use any ATM in the U.S. and USAA will refund the ATM fees. I've been with them or years and have never had a problem - direct deposit, BillPay - even have my truck financed with them.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

We use Fidelity for all our finances. When we need cash we use the debit card cash back at WalMart and grocery stores. We haven't touched an ATM in 8 years. Everything is done on a secure internet connection. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I know a lot of people don't like Chase but I've moved all over the place and never had a problem. I have my checking, savings, credit cards and house loan with them. I do their online banking and Bill pay, online deposits with my IPad and when I need a branch, they are always close. I've had a few times when someone got a hold of my credit card number and they called me because it didn't fit my regular shopping locations. They changed my number immediately.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

Most credit unions belong to an ATM sharing system and you can get money anywhere with no fees.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Yeah, we are CU members and get money from Rite-Aid pharmacies with no fees. Think bigger than just banks and CUs. Ck your bank and look for words like Cooperative banking system or shared teller or Remote banking to find national lists.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

In the west Wells Fargo has a lot of branches. Bank of America has branches all over but not in Sioux Falls where our legal domicile was when we full timed. They do have one now it appears.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

I believe Wells Fargo is in 48 states. WF is my bank of choice. The cash-back at Walmart was mentioned. I stash some cash on the American Express Bluebird card which works like a debit card on steroids. I try to pay for everything on credit cards that offer airline miles, free lodging and so on.

In my younger days my better half made me use cash, so that she could limit my spending

and would complain if I used credit cards. She would give me an allowance two times a month

and stay on me not to over spend or use the credit cards. I just got used to having a pocket full of cash

so that now I need to use ATM's. Old habits are hard to break.

Has anyone heard or experienced the following?

At Escapades yesterday, Nick Russel reported hearing that several banks, like B of A, are cancelling member accounts who have mail forwarding from the Escapades mail service in Livingston. I gathered that Homeland Security was pushing banks to not allow accounts where there was not a fixed domicile, or where accounts were being forwarded.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

We just signed up with Alliant Credit Union. Very easy process and very nice people. Over 80,000 atms on the networks they use.

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never again think a negative thought. ^_^

Tow vehicle - Custom 2015 Freightliner M2/106 -Cummins ISL with Allison 3000 transmission, Reading service body

Residence: 2015 Airstream Classic

At Escapades yesterday, Nick Russel reported hearing that several banks, like B of A, are cancelling member accounts who have mail forwarding from the Escapades mail service in Livingston. I gathered that Homeland Security was pushing banks to not allow accounts where there was not a fixed domicile, or where accounts were being forwarded.

Just did some Googling to try to find anyone complaining about their account being cancelled. As you know, people on the Internet complain the loudest. ^_^ Nada! Next, I checked the Snopes site, again nada. Closest thing I found was a rumor about FaceBook closing accounts that was classed as false.

I've seen this rumor posted on the SKP forum before but only here. I think it's just scare-mongering and wouldn't worry until someone posts a first hand experience.

Is anyone using Ally Bank? No min. balance, no monthly fees, no ATM fees and if charged ATM fee from another bank they will refund at the end of the month.

We use Ally Bank for our motorhome loan, but not for any other banking, so what I'm about to say *may* not apply to the banking end of the company (but I wouldn't count on it).

We are domiciled in Washington State and bought our motorhome in Arizona last winter season. Arizona is an electronic title state, meaning you do not get an MSO document when you purchase a vehicle...you have to wait until the State of Arizona does whatever it is they have to do before a title can be sent to the lienholder.

We got a 90-day temporary license from Arizona and waited about a month plus to get the information from the state so that we could complete the paperwork and send it off to Washington State to get the motorhome registered and receive our license plates. Washington State needs a copy of the Title, but what I got from Ally Bank was a piece of type-written paper with the title information on it...it was not, in any way, shape, or form, an official title and the State of Washington wouldn't accept it...they needed a copy of the ACTUAL title.

Ally Bank customer service is handled out of India and after getting the run around from them for almost three months (they couldn't seem to understand what it was that I wanted nor could they understand us buying a vehicle in one state but trying to get it licensed in a different state), I finally got fed up and asked to speak to someone in the United States. That U.S.-based person knew exactly what I needed and, within 5 minutes had faxed the Title to the correct department in Washington State.

We got our license plates on the very last day that the 90-day temporary license was due to expire!

Part of the problem, of course, was the State of Arizona because it took them a good month plus to get us the information. But the bulk of the problem was with Ally Bank and their India-based customer service. So, would I ever use Ally Bank as a BANK? No!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Is anyone using Ally Bank? No min. balance, no monthly fees, no ATM fees and if charged ATM fee from another bank they will refund at the end of the month.

We use Ally bank and love it. Not only the features mentioned but usually the highest interest paid on CD's, etc.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

as part of the implementation of section 326 of the US Patriot Act, the federal agencies regulating financial institutions now require all regulated (and some unregulated) financial institutions to have a formal written CIP (customer identification program) that includes verifying the identity and physical street address of all customers opening new accounts. Compliance this CIP requirement is auditable and failure to comply can cause the bank to lose its authority to operate, or face fines.

The federal rules for implementing CIP specifically exclude existing accounts, so no existing accounts should be closed. But the regulations also state they are the minimum requirements and a bank is free to expand their own CIP policies.

The federal CIP implementation rules also state that if a new account customer does not have a physical street address, they are permitted to provide the physical street address of a close relative.

This has been on the books for several years, but like many new regulations, the regulators have provided extensions and some institutions have been slow to put it into action.

Jim

We continue to use our small local credit union and have everything direct deposited, pay bills online thru the credit union site. If we need cash, I get cash back when making purchased at Walmart, the grocery store, or anywhere else that doesn't charge you a fee. We have been full-time 4 years now and have never had a problem.

Pat DeJong

As I stated in the previous thread, our BOA account in California with our Rainbow address was sold to some bank in Texas. Well they don't sell my account to anyone. And of course we started to get mailers from the Texas bank about charges that BOA never had. Well I'm happy to report that as of last week, I sold BOA down the road and all thing were transferred to Well Fargo. As far as our travels go, there is no BOA in Montana, so that situation is healed. Also when passing thru Twin Falls, ID. and Idaho Falls, ID. BOA had sold off there branches there, so with Wells Fargo we no longer have a need for BOA there. Yes, the gal said when we inquired about the sale that they had many calls about the situation and they would "gladly" keep the account as it was. Sorry, too late as some corporate executive already "sold" us and had no clue.

We (Escapees RV Club) occasionally hear about problems along these lines with certain banks and investment companies. We work closely with our good friend, Shawn Loring who is both an attorney and a licensed financial consultant when assistance is needed. If you are experiencing problems, email Shawn at sloring@generationsfinancialservices.com or give him a call at 936-327-1237.

Cathie Carr, President

Escapees RV Club

We have our bank account at a smallish regional bank. (Happy State Bank :rolleyes: ) and we get cash at Walmart when we make purchases. We normally use our two credit cards--Capitol 1 and Discover Card, getting as MUCH back as we can!

Works for us! Of course we are pretty frugal.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Archived