Attempted Identity Theft ?

rvman1948

My wife and I bought a used motor home with the intention of going fulltime. A visit to the doctors for a checkup found I have cancer. Put our plans on hold but this past winter we both had deteriorating health issues. Finally decided we cannot do this so we decided to put the rig up for sale. Went to RV Trader and placed an ad and instructed interested people to call my cell between 7 am and 5 pm EST. Somewhere around 7 pm I received a text message from someone who claimed to be an ocean engineer who wanted to buy the rig for asking price sight unseen for their father. Person said at sea no access to phones and could not access their bank account but it is linked to their Paypal account and if I give them my Paypal info they could make a deposit to my account and even provided a link to Paypal if I did not have an account. Trying to keep this short but there were more red flags.

Next day I received another text this time from an oil rig worker who also could not access phone, bank account, but was linked to their PayPal and if I gave my info they could make an immediate deposit sight unseen for full asking price. Both also claimed to have ( Movers ? ) to get the rig. After asking a few logical questions they both went away. Seems there is no shortage of scammers out there. Now I am besieged by companies that can sell my MH for a fee.

As I said there was more to it but was trying to get the important points in.What do you think odds of 2 people both at sea with limited access in 2 days?

Trust your instincts. This is a well known common scam. We had it when we were trying to sell something, can't even remember what (car? Tools? No matter). Trying adding local & cash only to your listing, may not help, but won't hurt. And there's no way they can get your identity from thus unless you give them account or identity information.

Yep! Scam! I had a similar experience when I placed a listing for a hard tonneau cover on Craigslist. Once I heard the offer I told the person I only dealt in cash and face-to-face. Nothing more heard after that. Reporting it is pretty much useless in my opinion as the number was likely spoofed, but that's just me.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

This is a well know scam. Only deal with an individual and have a direct bank to bank electronic funds transfer. Transfer the title and give possession only after the bank has confirmed the funds are in your account.

Under no circumstances accept a cashiers check as payment. These are too easily faked and days later when you find out, they are goe with your RV and the money.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

It has been quite a few years ago but I bought something in the $2000. range off a site and the guy only wanted a cashiers check even though I offered to pay in cash. It didn't make sense to me then or now but it actually was a legitimate deal and we all walked away happy but it still seems odd.

I hate to repeat things....but a cashiers check is a worthless form of payment these days. NEVER accept a cashier's check in a transaction of this type. (Yes, a cashier's check might be fine for selling a house, etc. but that is a different situation)

Unless I know the person personally I accept ONLY cash. Last time I sold a car (my Jeep) it was via Craigslist. They buyer spread 14K's worth of $100 bills on the counter in nice little piles.....and yes they were checked for counterfeit.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

When I sold the dually, it was on Craigslist for less than a week, with at least 50-60 scam messages/ callers promising to send their agent and send a cashiers check..... I put in the ad that I would accept cash only at my bank, or a wire transfer AFTER meeting in person at my bank.

I ended up having a kid from Austin by the truck with a bag of $100 bills. The bank ran the money twice thru the machines checking for counterfeits before he got the title.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Was contacted by company called Once Driven. Does anyone know of them? They said they match buyers and sellers for $ 189.00

Thank you for any help

You're going to be contacted by all sorts of con men and probably a few legitimate individuals. Why not see if there is a dealer near you who takes consignments and put your rig there?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Was contacted by company called Once Driven. Does anyone know of them? They said they match buyers and sellers for $ 189.00

Thank you for any help

I have not dealt with them but a quick Google shows that they have a D+ rating with the BBB and the BBB also has an alert out on them. Sounds like an organization to stay well and truly clear of.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

You're going to be contacted by all sorts of con men and probably a few legitimate individuals. Why not see if there is a dealer near you who takes consignments and put your rig there?

And even some of the smaller consignment lots are questionable. It's jungle out there.

Just last week I got a email from a widow who wanted to give me millions, for a price. Too bad she/he didn't know english sentence construction. :rolleyes:

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

rvman1948, on 04 Mar 2015 - 3:02 PM, said:

Thank you for any help

Yes I got a call from Once Driven but I didn't answer and they left a voice mail which I never returned.........and this was after I took the car off craigslist because I sold it to the first buyer for what I was asking for it, Plenty of scams in the 20 hrs. it was on craigslist.

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

When I sold my guitar on craigslist, I was getting these same scamms over a $500.00 guitar. No limit to how low tha scammers will stoop.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

You, of course, filed a SAR with the US Treasury for having a cash transaction >$10K! :P

If you deposit it in small "chunks" you don't have to do that.

I kept some cash, and the rest was deposited in two transactions. Not even in "my" bank, but in a friends bank who then wrote me a check.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Yup, that is structuring, for sure.....in my case I doubt I am in a bunch of trouble - or even my friend. SInce the deposits totaled barely over 10K.

This is a prime example, IMO, of why we need to go to a flat tax. Government run amok. As to how this may be RV related? Wait until you sell your RV for cash and see..... of course it is a simple matter to file the paperwork if you want.

www.jackdanmayer.com

If you deposit it in small "chunks" you don't have to do that.

I kept some cash, and the rest was deposited in two transactions. Not even in "my" bank, but in a friends bank who then wrote me a check.

That's still called structuring and is illegal (Cash transactions within a 30 day period are combined for purposes of SAR requirements) - BTW Best drop any admissions on a public forum - Given the Feds propensity for paying up to 30% rewards, someone could have fun also charging your friend with laundering. No one needs that kind of grief. :(

And I agree - The Feds have run amok and need reigned in. Give them a tool and they will abuse it: forfeiture, RICO, Patriot Act, etc.

Which is exactly what I said in one of my posts, above. I'm not denying it was structuring. At the time I did not know about it. All of $10,300 was involved. I kept the rest of the cash. Had I known I would have kept another $400. But I found it out later when I researched the deposit issue. There is no real issue -- other than principle and annoyance - to not fill out the paperwork, which is certainly what I would do in the future. My point was to ensure that people selling an RV for cash were aware of the issue and filled out the paperwork.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I hate to repeat things....but a cashiers check is a worthless form of payment these days. NEVER accept a cashier's check in a transaction of this type. (Yes, a cashier's check might be fine for selling a house, etc. but that is a different situation)

Unless I know the person personally I accept ONLY cash. Last time I sold a car (my Jeep) it was via Craigslist. They buyer spread 14K's worth of $100 bills on the counter in nice little piles.....and yes they were checked for counterfeit.

Why would a cashiers check be good for a real estate purchase/sale but not for the purchase or sale of an RV????

This makes no sense.

From Janet Malone, the “victim” in this story -- "You won't prosecute a widow," Malone said, according to the affidavit. McGuire [iRS agent] responded that the family had been given a pass from the IRS once.

Government run amok. As to how this may be RV related? Wait until you sell your RV for cash and see.....

No, it looks like a widow playing games with the government.

And what will I "see" when I try to sell my RV for cash?

Some notes from the Mrs, a former bank compliance officer, who read this thread:

- Structuring is used by the bad guys trying to hide money gained from illegal means. Why would you want to make it look like you did something illegal when all you did was sell your old Jeep? That is, why didn't you just deposit all your money at once? (BTW, depositing cash triggers a CTR, but depositing a cashiers check does not.)

- A CTR is a Cash Transaction Report filed by banks when cash, and only cash, is deposited or taken out in a day. It is NOT a SAR.

- Did you really make money selling your old Jeep?? That is, are you trying to avoid paying taxes?

- A SAR is a suspicious activity report, which banks are required to file if what you do raises suspicions that you are involved in something criminal or related to terrorists.

- If you don't act like a criminal (because you are not a criminal but just selling your old Jeep at a LOSS -- like the rest of us -- and just accept a cashiers check), then depositing a check in a bank will not cause any report to be filed.

- Sheesh. What a bunch of nonsense from some really paranoid people.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived