GPS

ljjohnson99

Hi,

I have purchased my new RV (used 2014 Terra 31TS w/1600 miles), lived in it for some days at the dealer's site, got the minor issues fixed, and Monday after the ice from this blasted blue norther melts I'll pick it up and drive it home.

My question is about GPS. I've had handhelds for serious hiking (Garmin), app on computer and laptops, and applets on tablets. I want a dedicated unit for the dashboard. I'm leaning toward the Rand McNally 7720 LM. I know the current one is 7730, but I've seen a number of bad reviews (amazon and other) as to the dim lighting & lack of visibility. Can anyone comment on one or both of these units?

Thanks.

Howdy!

If you have a smartphone or tablet with gps you might want to try Co-Pilot gps app first before purchasing a stand alone gps. The app does have a setting for RV that you can use. We've been using Co-pilot for years now as our goto gps fir our RV and othef gps needs.

https://copilotgps.com/us/personal/

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneo

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I have the 7720. I love the gps but recently had to call customer support. They literally yelled at me that he wasn't going to listen to me that I had to listen to him

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those specific models, but I would also suggest a tablet or ipad for GPS use since you will have more choices of apps and accuracy. I use an iPad with three different apps depending on what I want to do. I use Trimble GPS Maps app for off-line maps when hiking. I use Commander Compass as a useful compass that has a background aerial image. And if I want road routing I use Google Maps (I've had very good luck with routes on it). I have a RAM mount that mounts the iPad on the dashboard and is much more visible than the handheld units I have had.

The accuracy on the iPad will not be as good as any of the Garmin, Rand, or other handheld devices, but it is still good enough to get you where you need to go. The iPad does need to be a WiFi + 3G or 4G cellular for it to have GPS capabilities

As I said in the parameters in the first message, I'm not considering an app or applets. I do have my reasons, but those aren't important -- I'm just not considering them. I want a 7" dedicated GPS mounted on the top of the dashboard.

Kirk, I thought the Garmin didn't have some of the features that are interesting/important to RVers?

Thanks.

I agree with you on the choice of app versus actual GPS. I have a smart phone and tried that, didn't like it.

As for Rand, I find what TBrase said very easy to believe after the experience that I had with the staff there when I was one of the Escapees who were asked by Rand to do beta testing. It was the most frustrating volunteer experience I have ever had!

Kirk, I thought the Garmin didn't have some of the features that are interesting/important to RVers?

I suppose that this probably depends upon what the RVers you speak of consider interesting/important.... I really don't know what features you are thinking of but I have used several different brands of GPS in various models over the past 15 years and have had by far the best support from Garmin. No matter how impressing a device is, I want nothing to do with it if the manufacturer is not willing to support it and Garman does stand behind and support the products that they sell. I am seriously considering an upgrade of my current GPS and when I do so it will probably be the new Garmin 760LMT.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have a Garmin RV760LMT that is specifically intended for RV's and considers things like height of your rig, total length, etc. I am very pleased with is so far. So Garmin does make a dedicated, 7", RV-friendly GPS.

That is the one we settled on after doing a lot of reading of reviews on various forums.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

X2 on the Garmin RV 760LMT. I am unaware of any function or feature missing from this device and it is compatible with the extra programs such as BaseCamp.You can have multiple profiles (we have the mh and toad in ours), Multiple display options so customizable in map mode and a customizable menu system. It interfaces well with our android phones for added features and functions (Smartphone Link). And has a memory card slot for added POI's etc.

Probably the one thing I do miss with this unit from my Nuvi 330 and 660 is the audible books. But that's only while in the toad, the motorhome's stereo handle it now.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

We have a TomTom - love it when we are near large cities as it picks up traffic alerts and will show us problems and suggest reroutes to help us get around the problem. Also shows me how many lanes over I need to be to avoid being caught in Exit Only lanes. Picked it up at Costco - easy to use right out of the box.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I considered the Garmin 760 Dezel unit as a primary freestanding GPS.

We ended up using Co-Pilot on a Samsung 10" tablet as a GPS. The Samsung as an internal GPS unit so no WIFI is required. We also use the tablet to store campground databases, truck stops, WalMarts, weather apps, and other items related to moving down the road.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We have been very happy with the DeLorme Street Atlas (w/GPS) on a laptop for the navigator to use while we are traveling in the coach. We have been using it for over 10 years of full timing.

We use a Garmin Nuvi 1450 when traveling in the Toad and it has proved it worth many many times in strange cities helping us find our way around.

This system works fine for us and provides the driver the support they need in which ever vehicle.

Dave O

I have a Garmin RV760LMT that is specifically intended for RV's and considers things like height of your rig, total length, etc. I am very pleased with is so far. So Garmin does make a dedicated, 7", RV-friendly GPS.

I agree with you on the choice of app versus actual GPS. I have a smart phone and tried that, didn't like it.

As for Rand, I find what TBrase said very easy to believe after the experience that I had with the staff there when I was one of the Escapees who were asked by Rand to do beta testing. It was the most frustrating volunteer experience I have ever had!

I suppose that this probably depends upon what the RVers you speak of consider interesting/important.... I really don't know what features you are thinking of but I have used several different brands of GPS in various models over the past 15 years and have had by far the best support from Garmin. No matter how impressing a device is, I want nothing to do with it if the manufacturer is not willing to support it and Garman does stand behind and support the products that they sell. I am seriously considering an upgrade of my current GPS and when I do so it will probably be the new Garmin 760LMT.

That is the one we settled on after doing a lot of reading of reviews on various forums.

X2 on the Garmin RV 760LMT. I am unaware of any function or feature missing from this device and it is compatible with the extra programs such as BaseCamp.You can have multiple profiles (we have the mh and toad in ours), Multiple display options so customizable in map mode and a customizable menu system. It interfaces well with our android phones for added features and functions (Smartphone Link). And has a memory card slot for added POI's etc.

Probably the one thing I do miss with this unit from my Nuvi 330 and 660 is the audible books. But that's only while in the toad, the motorhome's stereo handle it now.

Thanks to all for the comments. Dispite some negative comments on AMZ, I think I'll try the 760LMT. I am aware of Base Camp, since I used it with my hand-held GPS for hiking (back when I was a bit younger).

We use CoPilot Truck which can be set up to mimic an RV (in our case a diesel pusher). I like it a lot because the assortment of voices offers more choices for my hearing issues. Plus you can configure what is shown on the screen.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

We use one of them GPS things. The wife runs it, I just argue with it when it wants me to go where I don't. I argue with the wife too. The wife is the Navigator, that way when we git lost, it is her fault and that little lady in the Garmin's too.

Git one and argue with it when it RECUMPUTES, I just love makin it do that!!! ;) YMWV

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

Our latest Garmin doesn't say recalculating any more, I almost miss it. We just bought a basic Garmin, I don't know which one(it is in the truck). I like the unit a lot, many changes from our previous on(5+years). Biggest disappointment is the screen has a major reflection problem. We have had Garmin's since 1999 and this is the first one with a major reflection problem. I called Garmin and there is nothing I can do. I was surprised about this problem since to me this should not be an issue in this day. I looked at getting a cover for it but none of them are workable for us. We put the unit on the floor when we park and all the covers seem to clip on which comes off when you grab the Garmin to put on the floor.

DW is thinking about making a cover for it. I'll let her think, she comes up with good solutions.

To me, it makes a difference whether you have a navigator or are gong solo. When Dave was driving I could do research while moving. When I went solo I had to know everything up front then trust my GPS to not steer me wrong. I have a Garmin dezl that lets me input the size of my vehicles then tell it which I am driving. Car routes are different from big rig routes. I like it. I especially like the lane assist that tells me what lane to be in when passing though major cities. In the car I like the T part of LMT--tells me when traffic ahead could be a problem and reroutes me around it. Unfortunately it sometimes reroutes me around scheduled road construction when no one is actually working so all the lanes are open. When in the big rig we would sometimes ignore the reroute because the side roads might not work as well for a big rig and we were not in a hurry. Only if the road was actually closed would we take those detours. Mine doesn't say, "recalculating," so it doesn't feel to me like it is nagging me for not obeying it. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We use one of them GPS things. The wife runs it, I just argue with it when it wants me to go where I don't. I argue with the wife too. The wife is the Navigator, that way when we git lost, it is her fault and that little lady in the Garmin's too.

Git one and argue with it when it RECUMPUTES, I just love makin it do that!!! ;) YMWV

X2. Lol....I thought I was the only one

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Our 7-inch Garmin Dezl is the predecessor to the current RV model. If it were to get stolen (like our first Dezl) I replace it with the RV model. Besides all the cool GPS abilities it can pair with your cell phone and allows camera input. I put a camera on the tool box and use it to hook up with. Quite handy.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I use the Good Sam website to trip plan because it is good and free and you can put in things like how tall the RV is etc

and then we use the maps application on our smart phones. It has worked well for us and because I am cheap and don't

want to pay the $300 plus for a good stand alone unit. Good Luck

Question for those with a Garmin 760LMT

We have a Garmin Nuvi 1350

We can plan a route from our current location to a destination but it will not let us plan a route

other than starting from our current location. For example:

If you are in Yuma, Arizona can you plan a trip starting in Maine and ending in Florida.

Our question is will the 760LMT let you do this

Actually you can. You just go to the "Trip Planner" app and you can set up any trip you want. You can add intermediate stops, change roadways, etc. Just for grins I just setup a trip from Austin, Texas to Athol, Idaho in about 5 minutes. And I'm sitting in the Florida Keys.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Ah, Farragut State park! The Athol of Idaho. (nice park, haven't found Armpit, Idaho yet)

X2 on trip planning. The Garmin 760 does trip planning and while doing so takes into consideration the information you plugged into your profile ie; height, width, weight, length. One thing we discovered last year was it seemed to also take into account traffic/construction - we think. We tried to route through Florence, OR north on 101 and it wouldn't let us. When we got there, a bridge was down to one very tight lane.

What I like to do is rough out the trip using Base Camp or even the GS planner simply because of the scale of the maps and to figure stopping areas. I fine tune the trip on the Garmin using the "Really Odd Attractions" and a couple of other POI's so we don't miss a neat campground, a stuffed jackalope, or a huge bailing twine ball.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Archived