GPS

ljjohnson99

I don't think so. The Base Camp software which is free from Garmin let's you plan trips using a computer and then transfer it to the GPS.

I stand corrected. I was not aware of that app and always used Base Camp with our previous Garmin. I will need to play with the app.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Hi,

I have purchased my new RV (used 2014 Terra 31TS w/1600 miles), lived in it for some days at the dealer's site, got the minor issues fixed, and Monday after the ice from this blasted blue norther melts I'll pick it up and drive it home.

My question is about GPS. I've had handhelds for serious hiking (Garmin), app on computer and laptops, and applets on tablets. I want a dedicated unit for the dashboard. I'm leaning toward the Rand McNally 7720 LM. I know the current one is 7730, but I've seen a number of bad reviews (amazon and other) as to the dim lighting & lack of visibility. Can anyone comment on one or both of these units?

Thanks.

I bought a RM 7730 last fall. My only dissatisfaction is with the volume. Both of us have a hearing issue, and the 7730 will not go loud enough to hear in heavy traffic(perhaps that is a placement issue). I'm now considering an external speaker if one will work with the unit, like a CB external speaker.

When I bought my 7730 I could not use the RM software(DOCK) for updates, turned out the USB cable they ship with the AC adapter is faulty. As soon as I notified them, they mailed a new, heavier USB cable at no charge. Rand McNally has a presence on irv2.com, their screen name is Rand McSam I think. You will find the thread using the search feature.

I'm beginning to understand how to use the unit now, and like its features. Always before I owned Garmin, the two operating systems are quite different.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We got a tour of the submarine base beside Farragut State park, really interesting. One of the Chapter 39 folks set it up.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/26492

The link talks about the Naval Training Station once located at what is currently Farragut State Park, the "Museum at the Brig" in Farragut State Park, and the Acoustic Research Station next door in Bayview.

We volunteered at Farragut last summer and did some interpretation at the Brig Museum. It is a great museum documenting the little known and very short history of "Americas Inland Navy" at that location. We did stop over at the Navy's Acoustic Research Station in Bayview to inquire about a tour, but were politely informed that no public tours were available. That place is buttoned up pretty tight!!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We did stop over at the Navy's Acoustic Research Station in Bayview to inquire about a tour, but were politely informed that no public tours were available. That place is buttoned up pretty tight!!

Their public mission statement explains why it is buttoned up tight.

Lake Pend Oreille provides a deep (1150 ft), quiet body of water where a free-field ocean-like environment is available without the attendant problems and costs of open ocean operations. Unique experimental hardware and floating platforms have been developed to support a wide variety of R&D programs ranging from the measurement of flow induced boundary layer fluctuations on sonar domes to the calibrations of full-scale surface ship sonar transducers. Detachment personnel supporting the experiments form a versatile resident core of highly skilled labor. They work closely with transient project scientists, engineers and technicians from the Division and other Navy and private organizations, to plan and conduct operations on the lake.

The results obtained during past experiments have been extremely valuable to the Navy, especially in the area of submarine sonar dome development. Future plans include continuation of sonar dome development and submarine silencing and target strength reduction experiments using large-scaled models, as well as increased emphasis on propulsor noise reduction. The Large Scale Vehicle (LSV), a large-scale structural model of the SSN-21 Class submarine, which was delivered to Bayview in November 1987, is being used extensively in this research work. The site's technical programs typically support analytical efforts at the NSWCCD and contribute to the development of advanced submarine and sonar designs. These programs support the Fleet, Navy systems commands, and other defense agencies. The facilities also support private industry and research efforts of the United Kingdom.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I bought a RM 7730 last fall. My only dissatisfaction is with the volume. Both of us have a hearing issue, and the 7730 will not go loud enough to hear in heavy traffi

One of the advantages of Co-Pilot Truck on a tablet is that you get a good BlueTooth platform that will link to hearing aids or just earphones. :)

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

One of the advantages of Co-Pilot Truck on a tablet is that you get a good BlueTooth platform that will link to hearing aids or just earphones. :)

WDR

We do not use hearing aids for personal reasons. Earphones are illegal for drivers in some states. Now that DW has a Motorola Zoom tablet(got her 1 for Christmas) she can hold it in her lap and use the GPS feature.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you on the choice of app versus actual GPS. I have a smart phone and tried that, didn't like it.

As for Rand, I find what TBrase said very easy to believe after the experience that I had with the staff there when I was one of the Escapees who were asked by Rand to do beta testing. It was the most frustrating volunteer experience I have ever had!

I suppose that this probably depends upon what the RVers you speak of consider interesting/important.... I really don't know what features you are thinking of but I have used several different brands of GPS in various models over the past 15 years and have had by far the best support from Garmin. No matter how impressing a device is, I want nothing to do with it if the manufacturer is not willing to support it and Garman does stand behind and support the products that they sell. I am seriously considering an upgrade of my current GPS and when I do so it will probably be the new Garmin 760LMT.

Wow - what a difference in price! Your website gps.com, Kirk has it for $339.95 and Amazon has it for $378.27 - is this the same model?? Does this include the updates for 2015? I do understand about the lifetime map updates. I was reading somewhere about a software update for this 760LMT for 2015 models. Did anyone else read about this?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks again!

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

We do not use hearing aids for personal reasons. Earphones are illegal for drivers in some states. Now that DW has a Motorola Zoom tablet(got her 1 for Christmas) she can hold it in her lap and use the GPS feature.

I don't think a bluetooth earpiece is illegal anywhere.

I had hearing aids but I gave them up. I had them adjusted 4 times....

And I could still hear my wife's voice.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

We have been using the Garman 465T in the truck for a few years now and it does the job for us.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Wow - what a difference in price! Your website gps.com, Kirk has it for $339.95 and Amazon has it for $378.27 - is this the same model?? Does this include the updates for 2015? I do understand about the lifetime map updates. I was reading somewhere about a software update for this 760LMT for 2015 models. Did anyone else read about this?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks again!

I suspect you will be most happy with the RV760LMT instead of the dezel for trucking. Make sure you are getting the right one. If you like planning and sharing your routes you might want to get base camp too. http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/

Don't see where Kirk had it for $339.... his link has it for $349 http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-rv-760lmt.html and so does: http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-RV-760LMT-GPS-for-RVs-P3684.aspx .

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Archived