Winter weather ~ ?

Kirk W

I am just wondering how many of us are suffering through this latest bout with nasty winter weather while itching to get that RV out on the road? Home-basing in north Texas, I have come to believe that the worst of winter was behind us when we near the end of February and in many years have mowed the lawn for the first time within a week of March 1. But this year the two worst winter storms were both in the past week. Watching the news reports from the Dallas/Ft Worth area one would think that they must be somewhere close to Boston rather than just over an hour down the road from us!

We plan to pull out for Tucson tomorrow and so in the midst of all of this cold we have been hauling possessions out to stock the travel trailer, de-winterizing it and generally getting ready. Thank goodness we have our RV stored under the same roof with our home, but that space is open to the south and not heated! Yesterday I charged the water system, ran the water heater and the furnace and then left electric heat inside to make sure that everything survived one last night below freezing! Just a few more things to load up today and if the roads are clear as the weatherman promises that they will be, early tomorrow we head for warmer weather!

Is anybody else out there seeking to de-winterize your life? :wacko:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk,............this may sound bad, but, I actually wish winter were still here. (NW Oregon near Portland) For the past couple of weeks it has been far too warm and sunny, and now the forecast is for the same as far out as I can see. If, and that's a big if, we can make it until mid match without a nasty winter return, we may be ok. But it is far too early for this kind of weather for the area. Far too many things in bloom that should not be. Already mowed the lawn once. Bought a new GNG pellet grill on winter special and now looking at using it this weekend. Should still be in the box for another 2 months at least.

I'm a work'n on it.

KIRK: Nancy and I will be heading to Tucson for the Escapade this Saturday. If you and Pam are able to clear your schedule long enough to solve a few of the world's problems we'll be found at the CARE booth. We're scheduled to be there from about Sun to no Sun each day but for old friends such as you and Pam we'll surely make time. Looking forward to touching base, as always, Orv

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

Should still be in the box for another 2 months at least.

I wish that we could send some of what Dallas has been getting of late. We had some but they are west of us and much worse and I have to travel through that area to get to Tucson! 10991439_10203552746491023_4935156793425

We're scheduled to be there from about Sun to no Sun each day but for old friends such as you and Pam we'll surely make time.

We will try and get by to see you. Pam is a seminar host and I'll be working security so it should be possible.

I am just wondering how many of us are suffering through this latest bout with nasty winter weather while itching to get that RV out on the road?

Is anybody else out there seeking to de-winterize your life? :wacko:

YES!! Us! We have everything in the trailer except what will freeze, ready to go, and the weather will just NOT give us a break. 5 degrees this morning, but at least the snow has quit for now. If we can just get to the interstate we will be fine. As it is now, I fear that there will be truck and 12000# of trailer in house at the bottom of our hill. Looks like we might get a window on Monday to leave.

Oh, and the number of friends and family we have in Texas (DFW, Austin, Houston) have all be complaining about the cold and in some instances snow (gasp!) and I just keep telling them I don't care and don't want to hear it. :lol:

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

We've spent the winter in Arizona and the weather, for the most part, has been nice. While it has been a little cooler than normal, we haven't gotten any of the bad weather the rest of the country has been receiving.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Our RV is supposed to be moved to the Gulf Coast this week. The weather has definitely impacted my preparations.

First off, I ordered roof cleaner, awning cleaner, a wash & wax solution, and several other maintenance items through Amazon that were shipped from Oregon and that should have been here last Thursday. The weather delayed the shipment and now those items won't be here until probably Wednesday, the day before the RV travels to the coast.

But even if those items had arrived on time, the weather here has been well below normal, hovering around about 35 to 40 degrees with periods of drizzle and rain and high winds over the past several days. It is projected to have periods of rain and occasional thunderstorms most of this coming week.

More than anything else, I was hoping to re-caulk the roof, windows, storage areas, and door before doing my exterior cleaning but need I warmer temps, MUCH warmer temps, to be able to do that. Anything around 70 degrees or higher would be nice.

I can do the caulking after I get to the Gulf Coast but I'm not sure the CG manager is going to like me washing and detailing the outside of the RV during the first week I get to the campground. LOL

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

As of the latest in road reports, both I-20 and I-10 say travel not advised due to icy conditions! Who would have thought that we would be waiting for ice and snow to melt in TX to be able to travel on March 1?

Totally agree, Kirk! It should be 73 here today (average temp), not 35. Dang!! :(

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

This is the first winter we have spent in a cold place in 12 years and the second time the motor home has been winterized in it's life. The first time was in NH when we left it at our daughters in March while we were on a 3 week dive trip on Bonaire.

We are lucky that our first winter here in a high desert valley in western CO has been one of the mildest on record.

I suspect we won't be as lucky next year. :(

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Linda,

We've been in Arizona this winter (Phoenix area) and I think it has been warmer than a lot of winters we've been here. There was the cold weather around New Years, but other than that, it really has been nice and warm and I've only worn long pants maybe 2-3 weeks at most. That said, it is going rain tonight and tomorrow - they are already warning people to expect flooding in Phoenix area.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

TV here in Tucson is predicting a "cool off" next week - that would be low 60's on Mon & Tues!

Supposed to be in the low 80's during Escapade.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I'm in my 3rd year of residing in my fifth wheel. Winter is in my 40x60 building and then out in the spring. It's taking me longer than expected to finish my living area in the barn but now have a 2nd floor all framing is done indoors, windows doors and 3 sliders are allowing me to view the tall snow covered red pines while I loaf a tad bit watching myDirect tv and sitting near the wood burning stove and while having a beverage. I've had some minor setbacks (not health) but I'm retired and hopefully have alot of years left to enjoy life. I'm not able to make it west for the Escapade but will be thinking of you all in the Az sun !

The past two years I was volunteering the month of April at the Sleeping Bear Dunes, Platte River CG, In the snow so decided not this spring. I'm only an hour away and decided it was better to drive over and keep my home under a big warm roof.

If all goes well I'm going to be on the road in a couple years and return to my paradise near Traverse City, Mi. where I can enjoy my Mi. spring and summer, and I do have electric for friends to to visit too !

Oh, I've had some -20 and better days this past month. doesn't bother my Dobie much but it's getting old for me ! I forgot to say that the Mackinaw Bridge was closed for a period of time last week due to white outs, but the real reason was a passenger in a car got out to assist the driver in making a u turn on the bridge in the white out and was hit by a car and caused chain reaction accidents on the bridge (one was a Michigan State Patrol vehicle) ouch !

BillD

06 GMC 2500HD extended cab, long bed, Duramax.
07 HR Alumascape Suite 5er
Doberman, Jazz, RIP

new K9 Rufus (Roof)
SemperFi

Hi Kirk!

Last week here in S Florida we had a cold snap that had me digging for a pair of socks. Fortunately the frigid weather passed quickly and we are back to shorts and tee shirts. If this trend continues, I'm moving to the Keys!

I am on a retreat in Durham, NC. We have had snow on the ground for several days now plus we had a 12-hour power outage. You should see some of the outfits we were wearing inside with no heat. I was one of the few who even had a flashlight. Few here came prepared for this. And presenters had to do their spiels without Power Point. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Last week here in S Florida we had a cold snap that had me digging for a pair of socks. Fortunately the frigid weather passed quickly and we are back to shorts and tee shirts. If this trend continues, I'm moving to the Keys!

Boooo! Hisssssss! :o

with the ice on the ground here (still) I have only been out to feed the stock (cattle)and bring in more wood for the fire .

I hate cold and I hate ice and snow even worse.

Looking forward to next year when I will be able to pick up and go south. Plan to sell the cows and lease the pasture

Kirk: you should have took me up on my offer. Chicken breast stuffed with peppers and cheese and bacon wrapped.

Come on over to Tucson! We've had a lot of wind and it was cool here today...only 70. LOL I debated on getting off the road in Texas or AZ and I have to admit I've been happy with Tucson (or just below in Green Valley). It's been a great winter here. Heading down to Puerto Penasco in a couple weeks to enjoy the Gulf.

I won't be at the Escapade but do hope to come to a cocktail hour of the Freethinkers BOF.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Archived