Winter weather ~ ?

Kirk W

Sitting out at Balcones NWR in Burnet Co. Never got above freezing Saturday with steady drizzle. Nice coating of ice on everything. At least the wind is lite and it's easier to keep the rig warm.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

So after experiencing Another crappy winter in Texas, I'm wondering if there's any workcamping openings in say Marathon Key Fl? LOL

The warmest winter we ever spent was when we were resident volunteers in Everglades NP. It was not perfect and we did need coats a few times all day, but not one time did we see temperatures below freezing!

Come on over to Tucson! We've had a lot of wind and it was cool here today...only 70. LOL

We are trying to! We had planned to head that way this morning, but based upon the weather & road reports we will be waiting for tomorrow and warmer weather to make sure that the ice is off of all of the highways! Our RV is ready to travel and sitting here today was not part of our agenda! :(

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are volunteering at Key Deer NWR on Big Pine Key, which is even farther out than Marathon, and 20 miles from Key West. It got down into the upper 40's a couple of times, so the locals donned their stocking caps and hoodies, and complained about the cold. To be fair, many of the homes down here do not have heat so that could have been a little chilly.

On the other hand, we've "enjoyed" some afternoons where the high was in the mid 80's and humidity was almost 80%, so it can get plenty sticky.

So work camping and volunteering opportunities are available in the Keys, but they are few and highly sought after.

Stay Warm!!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Kirk, you take it easy out there on the roads. That goes to everybody else heading out the Phx on these dangerous roads.

We're supposed to move the FW to the coast this coming Thursday but have decided to postpone that for another week. Forecast in San Antonio beginning Wednesday night into Friday is thunderstorms and heavy rain during the day with freezing temps overnight Wednesday and Thursday.

No way I'm moving the RV to the coast and trying to set up in those kinds of conditions.

Looks like we'll miss the Oyserfest in Rockport but the weather is forecast to be so much better the following week.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

We plan to leave from Brownsville, TX area on Tuesday. Looks like the Kerrville and west will be getting freezing weather starting Wednesday night. I think we will be able to get to New Mexico by then though.

Storm just pulled out of Arizona and is into New Mexico right now headed east.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Barb

I noticed that. It looks like if the doctor releases me this week, we will drive right into it headed west out of Florida. The forecast in Jacksonville is 83 on Thursday and 50 with rain on Friday.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We had some ice here in west central Florida also. Last night I saw two large cubes in my glass, even though I had added a liberal quantity of anti-freeze :D

Watching the TV coverage of blizzards while wearing shorts and t-shirt really makes me glad to be in the Sunshine State. We have had a few short cold spells but never went below 30 degrees here. There are sites available if anyone wants to join us. The local crowd is a warm (pun intended) and friendly bunch. Today is the weekly BBQ lunch at the clubhouse. Sure is a rough life, but we'll survive. :lol:

http://www.avionpalms.org/

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

We drove through rain today in west TX and eastern NM on our way into Dream Catcher. We will be at Saguaro tomorrow night and then on to the fair grounds on Thursday. It has been pretty rainy here but was clear when we arrived.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Roger,...I feel like I'm talking to myself, do they do weekly or daily rentals of pads?

Roger

The office staff / HOA do not get involved with rentals. All transactions are strictly between the lot owner and renter. As a result, the terms vary significantly. Most lots rent by the month, but I have seen some listed as weekly. The biggest problem is keeping the For Rent section on the web site up to date. Many of those on the list are already rented but there are a few open sites. We are rebuilding the web site from scratch and plan to add a calender that will better show when lots are available. Off the top of my head, I know lot 1 is currently vacant. If any other catch your eye, I'll be glad to check to see if the lot is open.

http://www.avionpalms.org/?page_id=323

Safe Travels...

Edit: Darn typos!

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Dad-blast it; I suspect this thread has caused our weather to change. Last weekend we only had 8" snow on the ground. Yesterday it warmed up to above freezing, most snow melted then it rained in the afternoon and overnight, melting again. Today stopped raining about noon and turned cold, snowed/still snowing on top of that rainwater that froze. Tomorrow is gonna be rough. :ph34r: Gonna stay home and read my new-old book The American Cowboy, by Will James.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We are down in the keys without the RV.

When we flew from Wenatchee to Tampa it was warmer in Wenatchee than Tampa. It is crowded in south Florida. One night we had a hard time finding a motel room.

And we spent $70 a night for a tent site in a Encore campground.

Warm and humid now. Glad we came, but it sure is different than Arizona! Lots and lots of people.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Archived