What is your 5er?

TXiceman

Great, three other Open Ranges. We have a 2014 337RLS. Our first 337RLS was destroyed in a 70 car pileup between Vera Cruz and Puebla, Mexico. As our younger said said "Dad, you and Mom have driven your RV to Yucatan three times, and driven back twice. We liked the 337RLS so much, we just got its improved edition.

Photo taken on the beach in Yucatan, about 30 miles from Tulum.

Reed and Elaine

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got our first 5th wheel! :D

2015 DRV 38 RSSA

Fraightliner M2 106

Great minds think alike...

We are moving into our new DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites in the morning....Pulled with a Freightliner M2 112.

Drove up to Knoxville yesterday to drop off the sofa and loveseat that we bought for it and had a chance to look everything over. Can't wait to take it out this weekend for a short trip then off to Florida at the end of January.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I had started another thread to see if there were other Infinity owners around the forums. Ours is a 2013 Infinity 3640RL. We have not done any real major modifications. Added a second A/C, built a frame in the basement to coral the folding tables, ladder, step stool, etc., added a window in the door that you can see through and open, and swapped out the recliners for Lazy-Boy's.

i-Pz3Fs8Q-M.jpg

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised to see all the 5th wheels being towed by semi trucks. I was just showing my wife some of your set-ups and she was asking why? I suggested that some may be folks who were (are still) long haul owner/operators who are simply getting double duty from their investment. Then she asked, is that what they drive around in when staying for awhile. Now I'm curious.

The HDT trucks are so darned cheap, bought used, that if you have a heavy fiver they are the default choice, they cost less than an MDT and have far superior power, transmission, ride and interior noise levels. If your trailer is lighter you are still looking at an HDT costing a lot less than a F450 or F550 and being a whole lot nicer to ride in. Even at the F350 level you may well be dollars ahead in an HDT. Some folks just buy a new HDT which isn't a bad option if you want something very custom.

What to drive isn't too big a deal, the newer HDTs have clutchless transmissions so driveint to the store or diner is no problem for most folks. If you want a car a lot of folks are putting a Smart Car on the back ahead of the trailer, some folks tow something behind the fiver like the motorhome folks do but length can be an issue. Others get a toy hauler and stick their car and other toys inside.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

In my case, I prefer the power, air brakes, height and comfort of our MDT with an air ride cab, suspension and seats. Ours is an oddball as the M2-112 has the engine from a class 8 (DD13 Detroit Diesel) with 450 HP and 1550 ft-lbs of torque but it will still fit in a 10x10 garage door. It has an Allison 4000 transmission so no shifting gears and is still able to use the same size parking space as my F350 Dually. The dogs have a HUGE area to stay in after I removed the rear seat and with an aluminum ramp, they get into the cab by themselves without me having to pick them up.

I also have a 190 gallon fuel load so stops can be made where pricing is right on fuel and the truck is designed to run a million miles pulling a full load so our 21K fiver doesn't even slow it down any. The Jake brake on the engine works a LOT better than my exhaust brake on the F350 and if the trailer brakes fail, I can still stop quickly and safely (don't ask how I know that..).

We use it as our daily driver on the road and although we sometimes have to park a little way, out it hasn't been a problem so far (we both need the exercise anyway). If we ever do need a smaller vehicle in places, I will rent a small car for a day or two and then turn it in.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I'm surprised to see all the 5th wheels being towed by semi trucks. I was just showing my wife some of your set-ups and she was asking why? I suggested that some may be folks who were (are still) long haul owner/operators who are simply getting double duty from their investment. Then she asked, is that what they drive around in when staying for awhile. Now I'm curious.

Because back in 2003/2004 there weren't any Toyhaulers that fit me or that my wife liked. Sorry but diamond plate in the kitchen just isn't her thing. We wanted to take our two 800 pound street motorcycles with us. A HDT fit the bill. Now that the motorcycles are gone. We now have a car. I could go to a LDT and have thought about it. But I'm afraid I might be disappointed. I do like being up high, the 1,800 mile cruising range, read on a RV forum about pickup owners afraid of certain mountain passes. Had been over some of those mountain passes and didn't see the problem. I guess "we fear no mountain passes" comes to mind with what we have.

Also I wasn't a retired truck driver when we bought our truck. It's not that hard to drive. Just a little bigger and a little slower until 35 mph, then get out of my way. :D It's an auto shift so only need the clutch when starting out/stopping.

Hi,

We have a 2012 Excel Wild Cargo Toy hauler pulled by 2015 Volvo VNL730. We will be hauling a Smart Car on the bed when its complete and motorbikes in the garage. Also, not as much fun pulling our trailer a 2015 GMC Denali 3500 dually 4x4 when four wheel drive is needed.

20140626_190328.jpg

DSCF0407.JPG

I get about the same mileage with both trucks between 9-10 mpg depending on speed and terrain. The cost of HDT's vary so much that it is a real hard question to answer. I am having a hydraulic Smart Car bed built by RVhaulers.ca and he converts many of these trucks over to reclassified motorhomes. Drop him an email for some pricing.

Mileage will vary a fair amount based on the truck and the total weight.

My total weight is around 50K lbs. I get from a low of 7.3 to a high of 9.9 depending on terrain and wind. Typical is probably around 8.8-9.1mpg.

Take a look at my website for additional info on HDTs.

Prices will vary from the 20K area to the 150K+ area for new. A recent price on a Volvo 780 NEW with pretty good options and FET included is right around $140K.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

Do you have a picture of the new 5th and truck hooked up together? If so, post it here. :)

Here ya go, Rick.....looks small, doesn't it?

20141212_103435.jpg

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

What mileage do you get with the HDT's pulling these large 5vers? How many cabbages would a good, used unit cost me? I simply cannot wait to hear my wife's reaction to my latest twist on our never ending RV plans :D.

Averaging 8.8 mpg since ownership. I have guys with pickups say they get below what I do to about this amount to ones who say they get up to 25 mpg pulling their 16,000 plus pound trailers.

Price. A lot of it depends on what you want to use your truck for on what the amount will be. As one salesman told us when we were looking at Kenworth T600s. Everything past the KW emblem is optional.

Archived