What is your 5er?

TXiceman

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy All,

For years I used to tow a smaller, 38 foot toy hauler with a Dodge 3500 dually, then went to the Freightliner, a year latter got the 45 foot Voltage toy hauler with an 18 foot long garage, wish I had went the HDT route YEARS ago.

Some have asked about the cost of going with an HDT, like many things it varies all over the place, in my case I bought the Freightliner set up as it is in the photo for 25K, I wish I could sell my Dodge 3500 for that.

Just a few days ago I bought a Smart Car, which I'll carry in the toy hauler along with a couple of my road bikes or one of the sidecar rigs.

DSCF0319-XL.jpg

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2003 Sunnybrook Lite Fifth Wheel Series M-2850-SL. We looked for a very inexpensive good quality weekender that our local RV shops already knew had an aluminum frame and marine plywood roof as the EPDM roofs are pretty much gone in ten years. We found one of those hardly used ones with a new refrigerator cooling coil, and in excellent condition from a private owner for less than half of book, with no damage leaks or wear from a private owner. We spent $2800 for experienced commercial roofers to reroof it here at our place with TPO and they did a bang up job heat sealing and installing it. We are in the about to be next already flooded NW Louisiana areas and since it hasn't leaked by now in the torrential rains here for a couple of months straight, I figure I will get another ten years out of it. I inspected the plywood under the EPDM and no damage save a two inch water spot where it was about to leak inside where the rear cap met the old EPDM roof. Otherwise it was like the day the roof was made under the EPDM, unlike pressed wood construction with any leak. I just needed a good, solid, very nice condition inside and out fiver, to live in while the house dirt pad and concrete is done and the new house put up where the old one was. The quality compares well to our old first HitchHiker fiver we had for our first fulltiming rig, just smaller and lighter. Definitely not a fulltime rig for two and pups. If I were single it would suit for me and one pup fulltiming nicely. It has a bunk room with the perfect dog bed on the bottom and we can use the top for storage.

It will make the perfect weekend getaway rig for us and our two furkids.

2003%20Sunnybrook%202850SL_zpsv56sj63k.j

dsc011281_zps29tw2thg.jpg

Pardon the need of wash and wax, raining daily since we got it.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I compiled the responses to this thread into a spreadsheet. You can view it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FW8BRtJ_sN1lU34Ki2RFr08cay_Fc0pw9LYfP3yJCi8/edit?usp=sharing

There are two simple reports in addition to the raw data showing manufacturer and tower type (HDT/MDT/LDT) counts.

Some interesting (or not) stats:

• The average build year was 2010. It probably would have been 2011 were it not for a few significant outliers.
  • HDTs and MDTs represented 32% of the towers.
  • Keystone, Heartland, NuWa, DRV, and Forest River were the top 5 manufacturers by count of owners.

• 2 weeks later...

I compiled the responses to this thread into a spreadsheet. You can view it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FW8BRtJ_sN1lU34Ki2RFr08cay_Fc0pw9LYfP3yJCi8/edit?usp=sharing

There are two simple reports in addition to the raw data showing manufacturer and tower type (HDT/MDT/LDT) counts.

• The average build year was 2010. It probably would have been 2011 were it not for a few significant outliers.
  • Keystone, Heartland, NuWa, DRV, and Forest River were the top 5 manufacturers by count of owners.

Matt, Number 89 on your list (Hewhoknowslittle) runs a Volvo 610 HDT now... At least he will be when it gets out of the shop....

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All - new to the forum and Escapees.

We will be retiring in 2017 and mostly time (can't quite convince the DW to fulltime...maybe if we come to a couple Escapee rallies she will change her mind :D )

We currently have a 2013 Forest River Rockwood 8289WS, but will be upgrading to a FR Cardinal 3450RL as the 'retirement casa'

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

Thank you,

very detailed and interesting statistics!!

The Few

Archived