Cool Truck

SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Not sure about $50 large worth, but it is cool.

ETA: I would love to take a K100, with the big double bunk sleeper, and an insurance write-off new model Paccar, and marry the drivetrain and axles from the write-off with the classic lines of the old body. An iShift Volvo would be easier to find, but that's like putting a 350/350 drivetrain in a '34 Ford. I know I'd probably end up at least at 50k, so I keep my hands in my pockets at the auctions. 

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

That would make a really cool hauler, but grandma would likely not be fond of the climb into the cab.  Well, neither would grandpa.

I find the lack of gauges and switches odd.  The dash looked empty.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 minute ago, rickeieio said:

That would make a really cool hauler, but grandma would likely not be fond of the climb into the cab.  Well, neither would grandpa.

Yes, but....but....it’s got an ashtray!!  Grandma could have her Pall Malls rolled up in her t- shirt sleeve and hanging out the drivers window.  Scare every trucker within 30 miles.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Ash tray?  Isn't that where you put gum wrappers and other trash before we had cup holders? 

My navigator like to put garbage in all the little recesses in my vehicles.☹️

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Yep, physically much more difficult to climb into...and trust me on this, I drove a few of these back in the 80's...they were a bit rough riding. Air ride helped but did not make these as smooth riding as a modern conventional truck with air-ride.

High-cab cabovers with set-forward axles and a short wheelbase were famous for wearing out the slap-back isolators on the airseats...and the driver's neck and back. The passenger will invariably want to climb back into the sleeper anytime the truck is moving.

The lack of gauges means it was most likely originally specked as a line-haul rig (LTL) and has been repainted, with bling and chrome added.

It looks cool, but not '50 large' worth of cool. 

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

Those of us old enough to remember "smog", and how it felt having to breathe it, may not see "rolling coal" as socially acceptable.  Make no mistake, I spent many years hot rodding, racing, and being a nuisance to my elders.  For the most part, I've out grown that, and strive to leave this planet a better place for my grandkids.

Rant over.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Those of us old enough to remember "smog", and how it felt having to breathe it, may not see "rolling coal" as socially acceptable.  Make no mistake, I spent many years hot rodding, racing, and being a nuisance to my elders.  For the most part, I've out grown that, and strive to leave this planet a better place for my grandkids.

Rant over.......

Yup.... For the most part I have too.... BUT... there have been some times that the little guy making a nuisance of himself in my blind spot needs a little motivation not to ride in that particular position...

But breathing easier and seeing distances from up high is nice..

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, noteven said:

What is “rolling coal”?

When kids with daddy's money buy the diesel pickup trucks and tune them.  When you see a newer truck 2003-4 or newer that billows black smoke it is a sign some tuning to the injection system has taken place.  Kids think its cool to be like the OLD OTR trucks used to be.  But what they don't realize is they are literally converting money to smoke.  Black smoke is from over fueling the engine, or in the diesel world there isn't enough air to make the fuel burn completely, there for Darryl's comment about not enough turbo.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Just to be clear, this conversation comes at a time when I'm having the same discussion with #1 grandson.  He bought a 2007 1 owner F-250 C/C Lariat that's had all the right mods to make it reliable, but more power and noise.  Very nice truck.  But he's put a set of tires that don't clear the front wheel wells, and took off the muffler.  He claims he's not blowing smoke, but at 17 y/o, ya know he is.......

BTW, I'm the bank, not his dad, and he's paying interest.

I'm afraid he'll turn out like his immature grandpa.😜

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

The easy way to shame him into behaving? Tell him "Rolling Coal" proves he's got a little turbo. No man wants to hear that. Don't phrase it as too much fuel, or injectors too big. Simply not enough turbo. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Many moons ago while my DW was in college I drove a KW W9 with a NTC 350 that was in a good state of tune. You know this is so when the tailpipes are rainbow colored chrome above the mufflers. You also know this is so when you accidentally romp on the throttle driving through a sharp frost dip on a street by the refinery at 25mph and bend an injector pushrod. It didn’t “roll coal”. Musta had something to do with the non-stock turbo and a #10 or 12 fuel button. The owner zipped over and we changed it in the parking lot out back of The Chrome Stack cafe in the gravel parking lot. 

it was white with blue fenders, like this truck, but tandem drive

1981 W900

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

50 minutes ago, noteven said:

Many moons ago while my DW was in college I drove a KW W9 with a NTC 350 that was in a good state of tune. You know this is so when the tailpipes are rainbow colored chrome above the mufflers. You also know this is so when you accidentally romp on the throttle driving through a sharp frost dip on a street by the refinery at 25mph and bend an injector pushrod. It didn’t “roll coal”. Musta had something to do with the non-stock turbo and a #10 or 12 fuel button. The owner zipped over and we changed it in the parking lot out back of The Chrome Stack cafe in the gravel parking lot. 

it was white with blue fenders, like this truck, but tandem drive

1981 W900

Ya, roll'n coal is not a sign of good tune or proper setup, but rather a sign of "redneck" or shadetree  adjustments like a turn or two of the fuel rack limiter. Kind of like a young, in-experienced gas low compression, smog head, v8 owner installing a massive long duration camshaft with lots of overlap. Back in the day of that mechanical big cam, the gas engines still used  a fuel meter called a........."carburetor". And get this, the spark was controlled by a "distributor". I've all but forgotten how to even spell those words anymore.

Now days we have stock, full smog cars that burn 87 octane that have more power with no "pinging" (remember that issue?)  than we could get from 3 years wage invested in a race gas only engine. 

It used to take a KT cummins or a 1693 Cat to get over 500 hp in a truck. Now we have 12 and 13 liter engines with that stock and smogged. Pretty amazing.

But like anything, you cant please everybody. Some just cant take it when others like to see something different. For the time period of that 362, black soot stains along the top sides of a white dry van were just part of how things were. I would rather see that long black trail of soot roll out of that 362 for a sunday afternoon than see 24" blings with 1" sidewall tires on a mint 69' Camaro.

I'm a work'n on it.

4 hours ago, noteven said:

I drove a 359 for a 2 truck owner. He retired his 352 and bought a 362, black, 400 big cam. It was a nice cab over. It had the flat screen with 3 wipers. 

👍 I remember those. Did it have center point steering? By that time full power steering may have been the norm.

I'm a work'n on it.

I drove a couple of old R-model Macks that had air-steering...which was OK most of the time, going forward, on dry roads. But on wet, slick, or icy roads, they were scary when the boost kicked in suddenly, and when backing up and maneuvering around loading docks, they would run low on air...then you had to stop and let the air build back up, then you could resume turning the wheel.

What a pain. Glad those are gone!

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

• 3 weeks later...

Now that's pretty cool. Nice touches would be: delete visor, integrate mufflers as running boards, maybe some front fenders with rears to match.  But that's all personal preference.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 11/6/2019 at 8:28 PM, rickeieio said:

I wouldn’t bring grandma and grandpa with if they can’t climb into it.