Over the Hump to Tecopa Part 2

Vegas Teacher

Well did another outing with a semi full of ladies last night! I had one up front, three at the table and my wife in the upper bunk in my 780. We left Vegas Northwest Las Vegas at 3:00 and made it down to the south end of town at Blue Diamond / 160 and 159 to pick up a couple of nice ladies and hit the road. The book club I am in just finished up a book titled My Year in Beer, so we drove to Tecopa and went to Death Valley Micro Brewing.

The reason for this posting is just to explain that I am getting more and more confident in my driving skills. Many on the forum have told me I just needed to get out and spend time behind the wheel and get to know the semi. That is what I have done over the past year. I am becoming very confident driving in stressful situations like having 6 ladies talking all at the same time while I focused on the road ahead. 

On this trip I drove down Old Spanish Trial Highway after dark through the mountains there and back. Through road construction there and back and in the pitch black the last half of the way there and all of the way back. We left for home at 9:00 p.m. and it is now about 2 hours back to Vegas due to construction on Highway 160. 

No accidents. No close calls. We were all safe here and back.

New coolant reservoir is doing great no leaks. No loss of fluid in the time sense I drove it last. I am very happy! 

Happy Holidays to you all.

It is going to get harder to wipe that smile off your face!

Sounds like you are using it as a van to haul all those ladies around. No need for a minivan now that you have the HDT.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

On 12/1/2018 at 2:12 PM, Star Dreamer said:

It is going to get harder to wipe that smile off your face!

Sounds like you are using it as a van to haul all those ladies around. No need for a minivan now that you have the HDT.

Dave

You bet, the mini van is like getting your manhood cut off. The ladies loved the trip over and back. Yes I am practicing close to home a lot before I go this spring to get my CDL I am testing at the DMV on the written side and going to driving school for the driving side. So short 50 to 100 mile trips one direction or 100 to 200 mile round trip distances are nice to do. I had to deal with a lot of road issues and a lot of construction on this trip. Then add to that when I hit a very narrow mountain area with little or no shoulder in the black of night on cork screw curves and did not have an issue, I was proud of myself so was my wife and the ladies I was hauling were also very supportive of my abilities so yes the smile is still there even now. 😅😘😃🤣😂😀😁🙂🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄😥

Ok Teach.......once again you have drawn me into your......Volvo-vortex-fettish......so ya think ya got this TWO lane trucking........hummmm.......OK so now put on your Big-Trucker-Panties and then drive over the REAL HUMP 2 PAHRUMP.......

Directions:....Load up your "chicks" and brew and jet North outs sin City till ya get to the prison road....take the prison road.....stop at the prison and chat with your prole-oofcerr....then drive West to the hippie-nude-springs.....DO NOT stop and Skinny Dip at the springs.....now the road turns into......ONE LANE......One STEEP twisty Rocky bumpy ONE LANE.....reach down to your Pantywastelittlegirlieshifter and select the oh-crap-gonna-die program and mash the right peddle to the floor and steer like a mad trucker up and up and up till ya get to a big sign that seez......WHEELER PASS Elev: 7thousandtoomanyfeet.....let the chicks out and gaze DOWN, ......WAY DOWN at Sin City...mmmmmm......so.....if you some how get stuck....don't worry .....just call my cell and I will jump in the Suzuki Sammy and tow ya to PahRump.....

U bee da trucker......

Drive on.....($tay off Wheeler Pass Road till Teach goes.....bye)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

8 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Why do you need a CDL?

Nobody has said I do and I know that technically we do not as long as you have all the paper work and documentation you need, however if we get pulled over by a L.E.O. having a bad day it could go very badly for you. I have very good friends that are both retired and working L.E.O. 's I was talking with them and they told me that on any day they can pull you over and find something to write you for. 

So I am a teacher, I follow rules and I enforce rules. The very best way not to get written up is to not do something wrong in the classroom. The best way for student to not get written up is to do the work, not complain and not draw attention to the teacher. If a student does draw attention and I walk over to see what is going on it can go one of two ways, I can let them off with a talking to if they have absolutely everything I want them to have and be extremely polite and not tell me my job. Applying this to driving the semi, especially when I drive it Bobtail from state to state.......... If I get pulled over I do not want any questions about do you have a CDL as my LEO friends told me it is not what I can prove on the side of the highway (if they want to they can make your life miserable, I also do not want to be half way between here and Kansas get pulled over and removed from my semi, especially if I am in the Bobtail configuration.) if it is what they choose to do. I know we all get our day and court and can get a chance to prove our case but I don't want it to come to that.

So if I get a CDL and a LEO pops the question all I have to do is show it to him, converstation over. My friends who are LEO's all say this is the best possible scenario, not what is right, wrong, legal, illegal, in the gray area, it calms everything down. Being somebody who has to enforce rules, yes it is the classroom but I have to enforce rules and get tired of hearing excuses, I want to cover myself completely to begin with. yes I have the three ring binder with all of the rules in it, as many people talk about having, I just don't want to have to use it and tell a LEO of any kind what the law is and how they have to let me go or why they can't touch me. I have a limited amount of time to make it from point A to point B and don't want any extra spent in court or having to fly back to where ever I got the ticket to defend my self and be out that much more time, effort and energy. Believe it or not I have even had other people on the forum private message me and agree but don't want to agree on the forum in writing becasue they don't want to get caught in the cross fire. 

Last but not least as a teacher with several degress and certifications and 22 years teaching under my belt on the pay scale I make good money, my wife has even more years of teaching and can match everything I have plus she is a science teacher in the same school one classroom over from mine. I am gonig to spend 2500.00 at the CDL driving school over spring break to get my Driving part of the CDL passed and done. This course will only take me 4 days to do. However I get to have a driving instructor sitting right next to me teaching me everything I need to know and understand about these trucks and I can ask him or her questions right then. It is not like throwing out a question and getting 10 different responses on the forum. Yes I value my information I have learned here and I think there a lot really informed and great people on this forum: Phil (Big5er), Jack Myer, Dolley Trolley, Mr. Cobb, Ian Murphy, Chad Heiser and Vegas Flyer ( a very good friend) who I trust but to be able to sit down one on one with a driving instructor for 10 hours over 4 days non stop is priceless. To learn the tricks and tips of hours in a truck teaching people I can't pass that up. 2500.00 for piece of mind and insurance, plus a major confidence builder.

In the end it all comes down to this, if you don't want to get a CDL don't. I do, it is just me. I don't mean to enrage anybody I just think that piece of paper will add to my confidence and realaxed state of mind behind the wheel.

Later,

Vegas Teacher -  Cory O

P.S. I typed this with kids asking me questions - please ignore spelling errors.

Teach, using your "rules for school" scenario, if a person had permission from your principal to come and monitor your class (just to watch) they would not fall under the same rules as the students!  They are not trying to get a good grade, and you are not trying to teach them anything.  They are not part of that professional process of delivering or receiving "Goods", education.

Now I'm totally sold on you paying your very hard earned $$ to attend and learn from the pros, but remember, you're not one of them, and unless you change careers, you won't be.  If it's a badge you want to put on your vest (like a scout), or another set of letters behind your name (like most of the education in America) then go for it.  But now, like the people who might watch you teach your students, you fall under another whole set of rules!  And you may not like those rules.  Have a certificate of education doesn't mean a person is going to do a lot better in the job market.  Having the training that you are talking about to know your truck and how you should operate it, is a great idea.  Getting the little piece of paper that goes with that (and all the rules) is not really worth it.  JMHO

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

2 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Teach, using your "rules for school" scenario, if a person had permission from your principal to come and monitor your class (just to watch) they would not fall under the same rules as the students!  They are not trying to get a good grade, and you are not trying to teach them anything.  They are not part of that professional process of delivering or receiving "Goods", education.

Now I'm totally sold on you paying your very hard earned $$ to attend and learn from the pros, but remember, you're not one of them, and unless you change careers, you won't be.  If it's a badge you want to put on your vest (like a scout), or another set of letters behind your name (like most of the education in America) then go for it.  But now, like the people who might watch you teach your students, you fall under another whole set of rules!  And you may not like those rules.  Have a certificate of education doesn't mean a person is going to do a lot better in the job market.  Having the training that you are talking about to know your truck and how you should operate it, is a great idea.  Getting the little piece of paper that goes with that (and all the rules) is not really worth it.  JMHO

You are entitled to your own opinion but as I said even after posting this message I have had several private messages that agree with me, but don't want to argue with those who don't agree. No I don't want to drive a truck, or be a truck driver. No not trying to earn a badge just gaining knowledge. I like to be educated, the teacher at the truck driving school likes the fact I am taking it upon myself to do this and educate myself in my endevors and I have many good friends in law enforcement that have told me this is the best thing I can do to keep from getting into any trouble. The CDL ends all arguments on the side of the highway. Please don't be a bully or a hater. You do what you would like to do, if you want to get a CDL go get one, if you don't want to get one don't get one. I am not saying your ideas are correct. I am also not saying your ideas are wrong. I know what I am doing and I know it will give me piece  of mind. Please don't be a cyber bully.

There are times a CDL will make things easier.  I have had LEO's tell me that if I didn't have a CDL they would write me up and let the judge decide.  If it looks like a duck and...For this reason I was going to keep my CDL but the hassles of a CDL finally convinced me to give in.  DOT officers know but others may not.  Printing on the Colorado drivers licenses says a vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,001 pounds....  No other noncommercial license is available.  Buried in the regulations is the RV exemptions.  Trying to explain the specific language printed right on the license is difficult to say the least.  There are times  CDL can be helpful and maybe times not.  I certainly wouldn't say it is wrong to have a CDL. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Don't get me wrong here I think its great you are getting it. I have has mine for near 25 years.  I am going to get crucified here but I think everyone should have at bare minimum an air brakes endorsement and Med card. You don't need a CDL to drive a semi with farm plates either. I strongly do not agree with that. I am a farmer. I see the junk theses guys drive and some of them can hardly walk.

Now granted the HDTs I have seen are far from junk but you have to have basic understanding of how the vehicle works before you just jump in and go. I commend you on all the practice driving you are doing. I am sure most people do the same. We just don't know about it. 

I think its awesome you are going the extra mile and getting your CDL.  I just asked why because it seems like most people don't bother with it.

I will take my beating now. Also Teach can mark my punctuation and spelling errors. Then I will re do my comment. LOL.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

6 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I am going to get crucified here but I think everyone should have at bare minimum an air brakes endorsement and Med card. You don't need a CDL to drive a semi with farm plates either. I strongly do not agree with that. I am a farmer. I see the junk theses guys drive and some of them can hardly walk.

X2

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hi Everyone,

Very interesting conversion going on. I see there is talk about air brakes. How about DP's with there air brakes. Air brake endorsement needed for them ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

3 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Very interesting conversion going on. I see there is talk about air brakes. How about DP's with there air brakes. Air brake endorsement needed for them ?

Al

It depends on the state.  Some states require it and some don't.  In California you can drive any RV up to 40 ft in length (regardless of what it weighs or how it is equipped) on a normal driver's license (Class C).  I personally think you should at least need an air brake endorsement if you are driving a vehicle with air brakes, but I don't make the rules.  There was a story on this forum years ago where one of our members was at a campground and a big class A diesel pusher pulled into a site next to him.  The owner of the DP came over and talked to the forum member because he thought the forum member might have an answer for him due to the fact the forum member owned an HDT.  Apparently the DP owner had an "annoying" buzzer going off for several miles before he pulled into the campground and he couldn't figure out what it was for or how to turn it off.  The buzzer was the low air pressure warning.  The DP was keeping just enough air in the system to let everything work, but not enough to actually replenish the tanks.  The DP driver had no idea how an air brake system worked.  I wish I could remember who it was who posted this story, but like I said it was a long time ago.  I am a proponent of people actually knowing how to operate their equipment in a proficient manner.  I actually like the states that require a higher class of license for large vehicles (or at least an air brake endorsement if driving a vehicle with air brakes).  It at least makes a person study more to get the license initially.  It doesn't do much after that to make sure the person is a capable driver, but it probably keeps a few people from trying in the first place.

I also have my CDL.  I understand the point of view that says stay away from a CDL if you don't need it for your RV, but I won't fault someone for wanting a higher class of license.  I need my CDL for work, which is why I have it.  I also need it in California in order to tow doubles (which I do on occasion with my RV set up).  You can't tow doubles in California without a CDL (even if it is only a recreational set of doubles).  There are draw backs to having a CDL also (at least in California).  If I get a ticket, I can't go to a driver school to get out of adding a point to my record.  I also have a lower BAC level required to get a DUI (not an issue since I don't drink and drive).  There are a few other drawbacks, but I put up with them because I need to.  

I applaud Cory for going through the commercial driving school.  He will become a better and safer driver for it.  If he also wants to then take the test and get his CDL, I have no problem with that either.  He doesn't need it in his specific circumstance, but there is nothing wrong with having it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

A few comments here, I kinda went over the same thing in Tecopa V1.0

First; Chad and others the lower BAC levels and not being able to adjudicate a citation is federal and applies everywhere.     This is the reason many have suggested a Class A exempt where they are available.     I am not sure Nevada has an exempt class A?

In the last thread I mentioned pre-trip inspections, this knowledge is essential for someone driving a big truck.    A lot of truckers sad to say don't follow this very well either but, knowing your truck and how it works is the basis for ALL drivers.     The systems on big trucks are not complex, the parts and pieces mostly easy to look at.     There are a few dirty things to get to, a few hard things to get to(on some trucks) a lot harder.    That said, finding a broken spring or a leaking hose before you get on the road is not only safer, it is usually less costly.      The in cab air brake test is a vital check of the trucks brakes, doing it every morning or the first leg of a trip ensures the brakes function AND the compressor, governor and warring systems work.     

Cory, you mentioned 4 ten hour days, that is going to be like a blur.    10 four hour days would be much better.    I was a flight instructor for many years, primary flight instruction is usually done in 1-2 hour blocks so as not to overload the student.    In advanced training longer blocks are done but, while just getting the feel for how the controls work and what does what it can be overwhelming.      The academic learning,knock yourself out, read the CDL book cover to cover, maybe a few times.    The skill portion of the school at 10 hour blocks is going to be just enough to pass the test, not a rounded education.    The fact is, any trucking company would have a new CDL holder go through training for several weeks to months before they were on their own.  

The quest for knowledge and betterment of oneself is admirable,  I applaud your determination.  

Steve    

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

On 12/4/2018 at 7:11 AM, alan0043 said:

Sorry I ddint mean to quote you.

There is one thing that I should mention about the CDL test. When we decided to go commercial with some of our farm trucks my brother and my boss had to get their CDL. My boss showed up for the test in the truck he was most comfortable in. That truck still had FARM plates. No CDL required. He could not take the test in that truck. They sent us home and said we would have to make a new appointment. Before test time make sure you have the proper vehicle to take the test in.

Granted I'm in Nebraska, and all states are a little different, its just something you should check on.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 12/9/2018 at 5:45 AM, jenandjon said:

Sorry I ddint mean to quote you.

There is one thing that I should mention about the CDL test. When we decided to go commercial with some of our farm trucks my brother and my boss had to get their CDL. My boss showed up for the test in the truck he was most comfortable in. That truck still had FARM plates. No CDL required. He could not take the test in that truck. They sent us home and said we would have to make a new appointment. Before test time make sure you have the proper vehicle to take the test in.

Granted I'm in Nebraska, and all states are a little different, its just something you should check on.

I am taking the test through a trucking school, they supply everything. I almost don't even have to think. They make you learn on a standard transmission too. I won't get to use my Ishift. I grew up in Kansas, in farm country. My grandpa had a '46 ton and a half 3 speed grany ford grain truck with a hydralic bed. I learned to drive this truck in high school. It was the old double clutch style. If you can drive a double clutch you can drive anything thrown at you.

Later,

Cory O

5 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

. If you can drive a double clutch you can drive anything thrown at you.

Depends on how many shifters are poking through the floor, and whether the axle has more than one speed........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

8 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Depends on how many shifters are poking through the floor, and whether the axle has more than one speed........

5 Speed main X 4 Speed Brownie X 2 speed boogies= ..............not too much time for nose-picking sometimes

Grumps had a trucker-test...........

Truck driver had to be able to.................drive a loaded low-boy with a 14 ft wide dozer blade hanging out down a twisty hilly one track logging spur pig trail while shifting both the main tranny and the Brownie AND shaking tobakie-out-of-Prince-Albert-Can held in his teeth and dribbled (evenly) into a ZigZag Cig Paper expertly curled in the SHIFTER-Hand and then rolled and sealed and lit with a wooden Diamond match ...............WITHOUT............spilling ONE flake of tobakieee...........(gotta keep a log truck cab spic-n-span).........oh ya keep a eagle eye on the road, gages, and load ............AND........dont let that dozer blade knock and limbs or bark on the trees on the 15 foot right-a-way that the 14 foot blade skinnys by............

And NO ..........I did NOT pass the grumps truck-driving test.........never good at smoking ........could never keep the tobakiee/ZigZagPaper/Matches together and spilled every thing on the floor.............AND..........With a 5 and 4 speed I could mess-up a brownie-shift so bad.........that the drive line between the main 5 speed and the brownie box would slow down to where I could not get ANY gear Combo to work........then I would have to stop and try again..........

Grumps flunked me ..........said ......."well ya sure can't drive a truck so just better try something really simple.......try.........pilot......I was a marginal pilot at best but........lived just long enough to not have to fly for food.........

Teach........have you thought about being a........pilot........if this truck'n fetish don't work out? ?   ?

Drive on..........(who heck put Prince Albert in a......can?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

1 hour ago, Dollytrolley said:

5 Speed main X 4 Speed Brownie X 2 speed boogies= ..............not too much time for nose-picking sometimes

Grumps had a trucker-test...........

Truck driver had to be able to.................drive a loaded low-boy with a 14 ft wide dozer blade hanging out down a twisty hilly one track logging spur pig trail while shifting both the main tranny and the Brownie AND shaking tobakie-out-of-Prince-Albert-Can held in his teeth and dribbled (evenly) into a ZigZag Cig Paper expertly curled in the SHIFTER-Hand and then rolled and sealed and lit with a wooden Diamond match ...............WITHOUT............spilling ONE flake of tobakieee...........(gotta keep a log truck cab spic-n-span).........oh ya keep a eagle eye on the road, gages, and load ............AND........dont let that dozer blade knock and limbs or bark on the trees on the 15 foot right-a-way that the 14 foot blade skinnys by............

And NO ..........I did NOT pass the grumps truck-driving test.........never good at smoking ........could never keep the tobakiee/ZigZagPaper/Matches together and spilled every thing on the floor.............AND..........With a 5 and 4 speed I could mess-up a brownie-shift so bad.........that the drive line between the main 5 speed and the brownie box would slow down to where I could not get ANY gear Combo to work........then I would have to stop and try again..........

Grumps flunked me ..........said ......."well ya sure can't drive a truck so just better try something really simple.......try.........pilot......I was a marginal pilot at best but........lived just long enough to not have to fly for food.........

Teach........have you thought about being a........pilot........if this truck'n fetish don't work out? ?   ?

Drive on..........(who heck put Prince Albert in a......can?)

Dolly you make me laugh........Was the guys name RJ?................. Shouldn't we let him out before he suffocates? 

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Dolly, that brings back memories of when I took my driving test at the DMV back in the early 70s.  I thought I wanted to be a truck driver.  I would do some work on my neighbors truck and he would let me practice driving.  He was working on getting a load to take to Alaska and he said it was time to take the test and wanted me to go.  The instructor said before we started that he wouldn't take anything off for my shifting because he know I was still learning.  I said great because I wasn't all that good with shifting I believe it was a 4speed main and a 4 speed brownie.  Well off we went, I was doing fine until he said ok lets take a right at the next block.  Well I was told that I was supposed to be in the gear I wanted before I made the turn.  Well that didn't happen and I couldn't get it into gear a coasted around the corner and then there was a rail road track.  So before getting stuck on the track I stopped at the line and got it into gear and went on.  When we got back he said I know I said I wouldn't mark you down on your shifting, but since I couldn't get it in gear he docked me some points.  I said did I pass and he said yes.  I said that's all I need and have had my CDL ever since, but never did become a truck driver.  Spent the last 40 yrs working on them.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I took a check ride with a senior driver at a outfit silly enough to hire me. I round a corner with a “B train” (double semi trailers) and it was a bit more uphill than it looked and I missed the up shift so I’m buzzing the stick a bit fishing around for a cog and he says.”Try for another one I think that one’s busy...” 

😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived