Hdt air filter

bigredhdt

No. Filters become more efficient as they load with dirt. Leave them till the gauge or filterminder says time is near. This can be a long time.

Don’t holler at me the above revelation was taught to me at a Fleetguard training session. They are in the business of selling filters.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Back in the old days when I worked in a Fleet shop, some drivers would complain when the bit of filter you could see through the intake boot was dirty.  We would take the cover off the filter turn it a 1/4 turn and send them down the road.

The test we would use for trucks without the filter minder was to stick a drop light inside the filter. If you could see the light, it was good, if not change it.

That said, some of the Ag equipment manufacturers recommend changing every 1000 hours or so. The pleats can get holes worn by the screen.

5 hours ago, noteven said:

No. Filters become more efficient as they load with dirt. Leave them till the gauge or filterminder says time is near. This can be a long time.

Don’t holler at me the above revelation was taught to me at a Fleetguard training session. They are in the business of selling filters.

Same thing I was taught by Cummins/Fleetgaurd.  The dirtier they are the better they filter.   

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

2 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

Same thing I was taught by Cummins/Fleetgaurd.  The dirtier they are the better they filter.   

As my favorite John Deere mechanic/tech says "RTFB."   Or, study the manual.  I seldom change filters, and I run in some pretty dusty conditions.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

What is a good online source for air filters?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

What is a good online source for air filters?

I get quite a few through Rock Auto. Not sure if they have the big air filters.

There are a couple other online discount filter suppliers, but their names escape me right now.

I find it really pays to shop for filters. There is quite a markup at the local retailers.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I don’t have the inclination to overhaul a dusted engine so I use Fleetguard filters on my hummin Cummins’szs engines .... purchased at a Kenworth or Cummins dealer, already inspected for damage in shipping etc.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 5/17/2018 at 2:08 PM, HERO Maker said:

Check Amazon.  No shipping fee if Prime Member.

I just went and bought a K&N filter for my rig.  ALL my vehicles have them...even put one in my SMART last week.  M/c, Vette, f350.  They say a million mile filter.  Don't really care about changing the filters out once in a while but with the K&Ns I just change them once and forget about them.  I think it's just a matter of preference.  I'm sure the paper filters are just fine.  I just always used the K&Ns.

3 hours ago, chief916 said:

I'm sure the paper filters are just fine.  I just always used the K&Ns.

Been there, won't go back.  I do have a set of K&N on my old Honda drag bike, but nothing else.  Paper does a better job of filtration, and cost of the elements is trivial for what it's protecting.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 5/18/2018 at 9:14 PM, rickeieio said:

Been there, won't go back.  I do have a set of K&N on my old Honda drag bike, but nothing else.  Paper does a better job of filtration, and cost of the elements is trivial for what it's protecting.

Rick you are right on the cost of paper vs the other.

K&N breaths better at the expense of filtration. Ran one many many moons ago. Never again.

I changed the air filter when I purchased the truck, along with doing all the fluids and other filters. Just so when I think about it I can say I know when it was done last. Not sure how many years it will be until it's changed again, but it will be a while that's for sure.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Archived