Going for a short Run tonight

Vegas Teacher

Well I am going for a short run tonight in the 780, I am taking the father in law over the hump to Pahrump Nevada from Vegas it is about 80 miles. I am running over to go to a TSC store and look at some dog kennels. I might even have to eat at a buffet.

2 hours till take off and counting..........

Later,

Vegas Teacher

Hey guys my trip went great made it over and back no problems. I got out of school at about 2:30 got over to my semi about 2:45 aired up and loaded up my father in law. I got on the road about 3:00 and made it into Pahrump at about 4:30. It was a good run I even got to drive in some rain. I had not done that since I drove the 780 home from Florida.

All went well. The Pahrump Nugget does not have a buffet any more :wacko::angry::( so we had to eat at the cafe there. It did have a nice big parking lot with plenty of room.

Anyway great bonding time with my father in law and made the wife happy to see me take her dad somewhere, plus it was in the semi so it was a win - win. Oh on a side note we got the reupholstered couch back, she is all smiles and asked me what the next project was on the semi............

I love it when a plan comes together :D:P:lol:

Later,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher

AWESOME!  Like everyone was saying, the more you drive the truck, the more comfortable you will become with it.  The more comfortable you become, the more enjoyable it is.  Also, running the truck is good for it.  These big beasts do not like to sit for long periods of time.  So a 2-4 hour trip every other week is good for it.  Gets it up to temp, flows some fuel thru it, etc.    

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

19 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

AWESOME!  Like everyone was saying, the more you drive the truck, the more comfortable you will become with it.  The more comfortable you become, the more enjoyable it is.  Also, running the truck is good for it.  These big beasts do not like to sit for long periods of time.  So a 2-4 hour trip every other week is good for it.  Gets it up to temp, flows some fuel thru it, etc.    

On the way home it was raining and kind of cool out, the truck just purrrrrrred all the way home. Pam, my wife, really is good with the truck now and happy I am getting more and more comfortable behind the wheel. At TSC I had to pull into a pretty tight space but I lined it up really nice. It was a long pull through spot for trucks with trailers like an F450 and gooseneck combo but It worked nice since I was bobtailing. I even passed a few LEO's on the highway and in the small towns I was in and out of, no brushes at all with them. I will have to admit I do get nervous when they pull up along side of me or travel behind me. My truck pulls to the right anyway and I am scared I might drift just enough to give them an excuse. Also since I took out the residential refrigerator that was put in by the second owner, it is a lot quieter in my cab. The "frig" was right behind my seat and not secured to the floor at all, it just rocked back and forth the entire time, hit the drivers seat and made a lot of noise, not fun. Now it is quiet and I do not get my head pounded by a metal box. 

Later,

Cory O

Just think how much fun you will have driving it to Idaho in June to hit the WCR.  B)  Hopefully you guys can make that work.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Just now, Chad Heiser said:

Just think how much fun you will have driving it to Idaho in June to hit the WCR.  B)  Hopefully you guys can make that work.

I am hoping we do too. Flyer is getting his truck back this weekend and making a shop out at his house so we can work on both trucks. He is going to help me put in my Jackalopee and brake controller installed and done. If we get those things on we can pull the trailer up there. Last year I had reservations then could not go. We had to forfeit our lot reservation and money. We reserved for an extended stay because we wanted to make a vacation of it, it did not work out, so I am not going to reserve until I know for sure.

How is your rig running? Did you figure out the vibration? 

Later,

Cory O

1 minute ago, Vegas Teacher said:

How is your rig running? Did you figure out the vibration? 

Later,

Cory O

I haven't had time to actually do anything about it yet.  I think I am going to order a set of Centramatic Balancers and see what, if anything, that does to help.  I figure it can't hurt and if it solves my problem even better.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Make sure your ins Co covers you BT on jaunts. I dropped Progressive because of that, not covered unless "directly related to use as an RV" . Or, buy something at your destination FOR your RV, could slide by. READ your policy.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

13 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

All went well. The Pahrump Nugget does not have a buffet any more :wacko::angry::( so we had to eat at the cafe there. It did have a nice big parking lot with plenty of room.

Later,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher

Next time you're in Pahrump, try Mom's Diner.  Great food, large portions, and reasonable prices.....a deadly combination.  And if you're in the truck, there is a vacant lot across the street for parking.

10 hours ago, hutchman said:

Next time you're in Pahrump, try Mom's Diner.  Great food, large portions, and reasonable prices.....a deadly combination.  And if you're in the truck, there is a vacant lot across the street for parking.

I love Mom's Diner - Vegas Flyer and a friend of mine who is a retired cop took me their - I agree good mom and pop diner, good people and good food. I have had breakfast and lunch there. Have you had the pork tenderloin sandwich? I was going to go there but did not know or remember if I could find parking. What happened to the buffet a the Nugget?

Later,

Vegas Teacher

On 3/22/2018 at 10:51 AM, Vegas Teacher said:

My truck pulls to the right anyway and I am scared I might drift just enough to give them an excuse.

Cory, you need to investigate why your truck is pulling right. It should be able to be driven on a decent road "hands off" for 10+ seconds if not longer. Don't let this go - it can cause you issues if it is really pulling much.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On 3/23/2018 at 6:53 PM, Jack Mayer said:

Cory, you need to investigate why your truck is pulling right. It should be able to be driven on a decent road "hands off" for 10+ seconds if not longer. Don't let this go - it can cause you issues if it is really pulling much.

The second I let go of the wheel it pulls it pulls the same direction it leans from my other post that I talked about in my other post 

I think you will find that the reason your truck sits low on one side and the pulling to the right issue will have a common cause and you need to get it to someone that can correct the issue. Something is bad wrong with the suspension or frame to cause that to happen unless the being low on one side is just the cab alone.

If it is only the cab that is low, the front brakes would suspect on the pulling issue.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived