What would you do

Wrknrvr

I am working on a RV parked permanently in a RV park in Montana.

While getting my tools out to do some roof work I noticed I did not have any paper towels. The job I was going to be doing required paper towels or rags to do. The customer that I was working for was not home. But I did notice the next door RV had someone talking on the other side of there RV. So I went over and asked if they had a roll of paper towels that I could buy. I said it was a lot cheaper for me to pay them than me to go get some.

While there I noticed a little girl about 4 years old, so I said hello , but she was very shy. The RV is about a 94 motor home and not in best of shape I gave the lady 5 bucks for the paper towels.

I asked how long are they there for. She said till may. So I mentioned about skirting the RV. She has discussed that with her husband. I said ok as long as you understand the winter weather in Montana. She did say she is from eastern Montana. But he is not.

As I started to walk away she asked if I did RV repair. I said yes. She said they have not had hot water for three months. So looking at the Atwood water heater it was sparking.       

But someone wired this thing really wrong. So it needs to be wired properly.

I can tell money is a problem for her.

So what would you do?

If it was a simple job I'd just fix it and not charge them. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

4 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Me too. But if it isn't simple, and it sounds like it isn't, that becomes a real dilemma. If someone has been inside of it and it might even be the OEM water heater from 1994, that could get expensive very quickly. I think that I'd at least offer to take a look to see what it might require, but the post sounds like he did so already. 

While I have never been in a situation like that, I have helped many an RV owner for free, but a major difference is that RV repair has been my hobby and not my livelihood. And this sounds like it probably will require parts and significant time. ............................ I wonder how the furnace works??

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

That's what I would do.......BUT, when my wife and I had our HVAC business almost every time I went out of my way to help someone that was financially strapped it wound up biting me in the butt in one way or another (well it seemed that way).

VisitedStatesMap.gif

2 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Ditto and I would figure it I needed an extra hand someday I would have favor returned

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

3 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

I agree completely.  It is always great to Pay it Forward.  If I notice people that need help around me I give them a hand.  Sounds like your heart already knows what your answer is.

Are you John Quiñones?  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

11 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

I can tell money is a problem for her.

So what would you do?

I would remember a time that maybe I was in a bind too and that others helped me and done it for free. They were not freeloading or e-begging like the youtube clowns with their Amazon affiliate nonsense and Patreon begging. They simply didn't have much, possibly why they live in an RV with such a young kid.

I would fix it....

BUT depending on observation and first opinion-

Was the area around the camper clean?

Were they reasonably clean?

Were they polite?

Was the trash can full of beer cans or liquor bottles? 

Were they chain smoking a premium brand?

If the answers above are good enough, I would probably buy the minimum amount of insulation board and a couple rolls of duct tape and let them skirt the camper in.

There is a difference in poor, and uneducated struggling to survive and don't give a crap....  

But something about when a kid is involved changes the equation..... even if the parents are less than desirable.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Thanks Jack, Kirk and everyone for all the replies on this situation.

Yesterday I had a visit with my favorite dentist in the am and had a temporary cap put on a problem tooth. So no work yesterday.

I will get a picture of what someone else did to the water heater before I do anything. First thing is they cut all the wiring short so as to make it clean looking ??? They cut the wires off the hot rod electric element so close I cannot splice onto it. Buts it sure did clean that area up.

So for a quick wiring as I can remember they put the positive to the thermostat, then power went to the dinosaur board. Then I noticed the gas valve was not operating although the igniter was sparking. Gas valve was wired through the Eco thermostat.

So just a quick look at the wiring was confusing.

The lady had to go somewhere so I did not get to talk to her later as I had to do some roof work.

I will check back with her when I get there again. I probably have all the parts with me to make it work. If needed.

They do look like respectable people, just not financially able.

So it will work the next time I am able to get there.

Thanks,.   Vern

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

So it will work the next time I am able to get there.

I wish that I was closer to you as I'd be happy to assist on this one, but the commute from TX to MT is a bit long. From what you have shared I'm wondering if it might be that the "HotRod" had stopped working was what the amateur was trying to resolve with his work? As I remember those had a separate thermostat that mounted against the water heater tank in the rear and the power went through that to the "rod" which screwed into the drain hole. If I knew that both items were working I might consider reconnecting it, but suspect that there is a problem there. 

You may have already thought of this but one thing that I think I'd check first if you have not is to make sure that the tank is full and not running on a winterizing bypass. It could be that the tank was leaking and so the bypass has been in use since that began. I'd also be sure to establish an air bubble in the tank before heating it up. It does sound like it might be something simple like that gas valve.

" So for a quick wiring as I can remember they put the positive to the thermostat, then power went to the dinosaur board. "

I am pretty sure that the early Atwood water heaters were connected with the two thermostats of the ECO assembly having one in the power supply and the other in the return leg, as they came from the factory. I didn't notice any mention of there being a thermal cut-off as should be there. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'd probably help them for free, too. But having said that, you are messing with dangerous things like 110V (?) and propane. Anything bad happens to them in the future, guess who they are going to come for, and you'll suffer even if not any way your fault just defending yourself. You insured for RV work?

"No good deed goes unpunished"

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Archived