RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

Tennessee is a beautiful state! Where in TN are you? I grew up in Little Rock so we had a little bit of what TN offers.

We just left Grand Tetons after spending 2 days there and 8 days in Yellowstone. Wow! Wow! Wow! What an amazing adventure this one was. We ALWAYS have a awesome wildlife encounters, but the might before leaving takes the cake!!! Two Grizzlies circled our car (along with ab out 12 other cars) within feet of us as they grazed, wanderedaround and ate on a carcass.

We also spent the night and day with the Cravens. Mike and Suzan (Boomer's parents), really know how to put out the hospitality!!! We ate good for those 24 hours: good burgers and steaks! Oh, and they have the perfect spot for our HDT rigs - right next to their hanger!! Their new home and land is a restful and comfrotable place. Can't thank Mike and Suzan enough for hosting us! We'll be back!

Alicia,

We are in East Tennessee, a little town outside Maryville in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. We live on six acres and love watching the wildlife around here. We have seen deer, foxes, turkeys, possums, etc.

Wow, your bear encounter sounds fascinating. Hope to be able to see grizzlies one of these days. We have seen black bears in the smoky mountains.

Look forward to meeting you and Rick one of these days..

Safe travels,

Donna

2006 Volvo VNL 780 "Hoss", Volvo D12 465hp 1650 ft/lbs Ultrashift

Bed by JW Morgan Custom Welding

Tandem

2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Alicia! Can't wait to see your pictures!

Raymond and I just returned from meeting my half brother and his wife (from Houston) in Pensacola. First time of staying on a military base and it was wonderful. We were within walking distance of the Pensacola Lighthouse, Navy Museum, IMAX, and Fort Barrancas. Edge of the RV park was on Pensacola Bay with White Sands and Crystal Clear water just like the Gulf of Mexico there. Fun Times! We were real adventurous and allowed them to sleep on our aerobed/couch! We, most likely, will not do that often....quarters are just too small for that; BUT we had perfect weather in Pensacola and stayed outside the RV except for sleeping! So, it was a good experience!

Already can't wait for our next short trip: 5 days in Charleston, SC with the Wagners and the Dixons. That will be 'it' for us and trips this year....tires all around will be the next order of business. HAHAHA

Janet:

Ditto! Can't wait to see all of you and show you the sites of Charleston, SC. Fun times! Feel your pain of the tires all around..

2006 Volvo VNL 780 "Hoss", Volvo D12 465hp 1650 ft/lbs Ultrashift

Bed by JW Morgan Custom Welding

Tandem

2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

Donna: what a wonderful place where you live! Sounds like my type of place. Looking forward to meeting you as well.

Janet: sounds like you guys had a very enjoyable time together. Glad the weather worked in your favor. I'm glad you get to enjoy some trips and get the tires.

I'm going through photos now, only half way through. When I get them uploaded to my site, I'll post a link. Just got through hundreds of a mom and dad fox and two kits. They were soooo fun!

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

• 4 weeks later...

Happy July RDBE'rs!

Just catching up on on reading posts! It was great seeing Rick and Alicia and feel bad we didn't get a chance to see Dale and Mark when they were in Colorado .

Haven't had a vacation in the big rig this year, but did have a forced camping trip during the Black Forest fire.. We were very lucky as we didn't have have any issues, but sure was a wake up call on what's important in life!

We hope everyone has a wonderful summer and looking for too seeing everyone at the Hutchinson HTD rally!

Suzan Craven

Boomer's Mom

Mike, Suzan and Boomer too

1999 Volvo 770 "Devil Dog", Detroit 60, Auto Shift.

ET Hitch, ET Jackalopee, Pressure Pro, Max Brake

2004 Mobile Suites 36CK3

Semper Fi

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ya'll RDBE gals. I did not drop off the face of the earth, we have just been soooooo busy with lifestyle changes I haven't had time to check in. I try to keep up with friends on Facebook. We are currently in NH until August 13th when we have a 26 cu ft. PENSKE rental truck scheduled to haul our stuff to our new home in Port St Lucie, FL. Yes we will be full time residents of Florida! We bought a lovely 3 BR, 2 bath, pool home in April, loaded our STUFF from the RV into it, replaced appliances, did a few small repairs and then headed for NH. Our summer has been totally consumed by packing, sorting, tossing, and of course building a half dozen ET's and 2 trucks! That's a hefty order. We are also trying to spend time with our sons and grandchildren so our departure won't be quite so painful:(. That is the most difficult part of the move. We plan to come back for Christmas and then a summer vacation here when the kids are out of school. With this 100 degree heat all last week, that FL pool at 88 degrees is very enticing to get back and enjoy it. Our RV is stored at the campground we stayed in and Kechup is on guard in our driveway! Our neighbors kids are waiting for a ride in Kechup:) Neighbors are waiting for the open house celebration. Mom is thrilled with her own large bedroom and private bathroom. (4 months in the A1 was pretty cozy for 3 and the sofa bed for us was wearing thin).

We are thoroughly enjoying having Heidi and Bob Springfield and kids visiting us. Yep Bob has learned to build an ET and knows where Home Depot is. The children are rebuilding our spring fed stream and have enjoyed swimming in our lake. Their new custom Spacecraft is unbelievably gorgeous! I have never seen anything like it! If they make it to Hutch you will see how beautiful it is. I believe my DH posted pictures (or will be ) of the interior of their rig on the alternate forum which he is now on.

I received a nice email from Chris Penner yesterday. She is enjoying Montana, and we look forward to getting together again in FL. Our plans for Hutch are still in limbo. We always look forward to the rally and enjoy seeing everyone but will have to see how things go as it gets closer.

Anyone planning a trip to the warm EAST coast of FL please be sure to check in with us. You all are always welcome :)

Safe travels, Hugs, dds

Edited by ddshjs aka RDBE 1

Hi all,

Sharon, yes, we all are enjoying our new rig. The kids love having their own "mini room" with great toy storage! I have done several sewing projects now and have obviously cooked many meals, and I LOVE the lay out. It is so perfect for us.

Alicia, can't wait to see your pics. Sounds like you made some very special memories.

Donna, I lived near Maryville for several years before acquiring my DH and really loved it there. Have traveled all over the US and that's still one of my top 5 places in our beautiful country.

We are totally enjoying our time here in NH with Davena et al. DH and Davena's hubby keep finding projects to work on and we are so enjoying Davena's sweet hospitality.

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies, our internet pics never included final photos of our new camper and Henry took a few which he posted. They are at http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/guests-169017.html if you want to see them.

We also acquired a new horn for the truck today and it brings a smile to my face - our city horn is sad and our other horn was about as sad. Upgrades - yea!

Alicia, now it's your turn to post pics...

2013 Space Craft

HOLY SMOKES Heidi!!! WOWZER did that ever turn out amazing!! No one would ever believe that stunning interior is in an RV! I have a bad case of RV Lust now - ugh... Can't wait till the rally to see it in person. I can't imagine it being nicer in person than the pics, but know it will be. Look forward to hearing the new horn too. My van needs a horn upgrade bad - I can barely hear it - I don't think it will be much use in an emergency without a "volume bump" at the very least. You guys travel safe, and we'll see you in Hutch. Hugs to all the little people too.

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Before.... and after. :D

attachicon.gifOldHorn.jpgattachicon.gifNewHorn.jpg

Nice, where did you find them? My old horn looks like a combination of you pictures. Should look like the new one but only has one trumpet, so it looks like your old one. It is pretty sad in the sound category and unfortunately when the kids do the honk your horn request I have to pretend I didn't see them. Need to get that fixed soon.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Nice, where did you find them? My old horn looks like a combination of you pictures. Should look like the new one but only has one trumpet, so it looks like your old one. It is pretty sad in the sound category and unfortunately when the kids do the honk your horn request I have to pretend I didn't see them. Need to get that fixed soon.

Weeeelllll - Henry had them in his garage and we were the beneficiaries. I love it! DH always threatens to honk the city horn at kids who ask us to blow it and I chastise him, telling him he'll scar them for life. We had the sissy horn for so long that I'm still surprised when we pull the air horn and get that beautiful sound.

Sharon, did you survive your massive decluttering? Have been thinking about you guys lately.

So, ladies, who plans to attend the rally in October? We sent in our registration and can't wait to get together with friends again.

2013 Space Craft

Heidi - we haven't sent in our registration for the rally yet, but need to get on that soon. We're almost done (at least for this summer). Kinda figured it out, and since mid April to now, I've worked in excess of 1,400 hours on getting stuff gone. To put that in reference - the average job YEAR is 2,000 hours - 50 weeks at 40 hours per week. So in 4.5 months, I've done 70% of a typical year's "job". Thankfully it's paid me about 2.5 times what I could get per hour at a job! Still have a bit more next summer when we come back, but it's really pared down, organized, and ready to go. If we were just "normal" like other folks, we wouldn't have had SO MUCH "niche" type of stuff that only a tiny percentage of folks can use. Thus the ebay work summer coming up next year... Wider audience, better selling opportunity. At least the local auction for all the stuff that "normal" people could use is over and done with...

We will be at the customizer in TX after the rally for some extra cabinets in the van - and I want a nice AUDIBLE horn like you big trucks have! Ok, maybe not "quite" that much horn - but noticeably more horn than I have now. Look forward to hearing your new sound and seeing your new "crib" as a friend of ours calls our place.

No one posting on the rally huh? We hope to make it a little early. Might be able to do that since we are Good Sam members - even though we aren't interested in "joining their rally" - just getting a place to settle in. IF we can get there early - we never know... Hope we have a great turnout this year. Kinda looks like we won't be able to make it next year, so we hope to be able to visit with lots of folks this year - maybe some new faces we've not met yet.

Drive safe ladies and have FUN! Back to work again for me...

Richard & Sharon

HEIDI!! AMAZING RIG!! So happy for you guys!!

We will be attending the rally in October after a stop in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. :)

And here is the link ot the photos we took this spring on our visit up there: http://www.wyliephotos.com/_pics/2013vacation1/

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

We will be at the HDT Rally also. Really looking forward to seeing everyone.

Heidi, Still saying 'Wow" to your new home. It is lovely.

Sharon, glad you had such a productive summer! I bet you are exhausted.

Alicia, I looked through your May 31 album. I sure hope you guys stayed in your vehicle! The photos are amazing.

Davena and Suzan, Are you feeling settled in your new homes yet?

Safe travels all!

Susan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Well, there were times we were technically bear bait!! It was an adrenaline rush for sure. Good thing was the big boar, Bruno, had all eyes on the golden female, Blondie. He was oblivious to us, especially after her stole Blondie's meal right out from under her!!

• 4 weeks later...

Alicia, DH and I loved looking at your pics. =) Thank you so much for posting them, especially as we don't have may with animals in them (due to our natural bear spray that we carry with us). :huh:

As of this morning, we are officially making our way toward Hutch! Yea!!

Can't wait to renew old acquaintances and make new friends....

Paula, we will miss you and your DH very much. Know that you and your family are in our thoughts and our prayers.

2013 Space Craft

As everyone starts to wander toward Hutch for the HDT Rally, I'd like to say we (Raymond and I) are going to miss ya'll this year....BUT hope everyone has Safe travel along their way. We are still on track for 28 Feb 14 -- oops now it's 8 March 14 Retirement Date and hope to pull out of Jax, FL on 16 March 14. Hoping Raymond gets rehabbed for his planter's fascia and back on the running events he so enjoys. 2014 Gate River Run in Jax is 15 March otherwise we'd be leaving Jax sooner! :)

Our post retirement tentative plans: 2014 ECR at Deer Run RV Resort, Crossville, TN and a month long adventure there for us before heading West and North to Alaska - Summer '14. Hope some others are planning a visit to AK next summer - would be fun to see ya'll in various parts of the great NW. Fall '14 we plan to be at the HDT Rally. Winter '14/'15 in Warm parts of the SW (suggestions always welcome) and then some Spring/Summer '15 NW Canada travels before we head to home base (Oak Hill, FL) for the Winter of 2015. Spring 2016 we'll head out again to see the wonderful USA. Who knows which way we'll go!

Can't wait to be on the road. OH - if anyone needs a small RV park near Jax, FL - we have found Yukon RV Park across from Jax NAS on US17. We will be moving our Rig there the end of October, as we get our home in Jax on the market and Raymond will be able to tinker on the weekends with the things he wants done before retirement. And, it's so close to his office that he could walk to work. :rolleyes:

Again, Safe Travels Everyone! Have a wonderful Rally!

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

A big hi to all the RDBE gals in HUTCH! The day I put Henry on the plane to Wichita was less than desired! Locked my self out of the house, (Kechup keys sitting next to my purse, so picked them up and out we go, oops, trucks keys don't fit car, nor does it have a house key on it, fortunately my cousin 6 miles away had a key and rescued us.) the NE PATS lost, I have a black screen on my computer, (still a mystery, using Henrys' behemoth) and the milk went bad, but had a new one on hand. Really hope today is better. :) Perhaps it's an omen that I should be there enjoying the rally with all of you!! I truly hope you all have a good time, enjoy meeting the new-bees and inducting them into the RDBE Gals,and the Kansas winds don't blow you away. Once again I appreciate Sherrie leading the RDBE meeting and the next new member will be #119. Maybe you should assume the role permanently :rolleyes:. Thanks much Sherrie! The Vandenbergs are camp hosting over in Ocala at Whispering Pines CG and said they may come for a visit in the next 2 weeks. Cindy and Jeff Brett may be heading this way in search of a winter CG hosting position, and I believe Chris and Vern Penner are headed this was from Montana. Don and Fannie France were here from Wednesday to Saturday and are now moseying toward Orlando, Atlanta, Arkansas, New Horizons and then to their new home in AZ. Don't think they will be there before the rally ends.

If anyone comes to FL we would love to see you! Our home is on the east coast in Port St. Lucie, 45 miles north of West Palm Beach. It's 70 to 80 degrees all winter, there are Elks & Moose Lodges, and a very nice Passport America CG within 6 miles of us. We have already introduced them to HDT's, that's where Kechup is sitting until Oct 20 when she goes to storage. (Port St. Lucie RV Resort, Jennings Road PSL, FL) There is an Outdoor Resorts Motorhome only Park , as well as a basic but less expensive , no amenities other than the view, CG called Pitchfords, opposite the inter-coastal waterway. Last but not least , I want to send special hugs to John, Abby, Emily and Claire Springfield! We had such a fun time with them this summer! Mom sends her best to everyone and I will be looking for updates and pictures from the rally! Hugs, Davena

Janet & Davena - you are both missed here, as well as Aggie, Cec, Sue, Suzan, and many others who couldn't make it for various reasons. This rally is getting off to a great start, and we have LOTS of first timers! But all of you are missed. We will try to carry on, but it's always more fun with some of our "old" friends (well, we aren't getting any younger are we!?)... No offense intended on the age reference, but we are "old friends" right? Stay well ladies, and we hope to see you guys around the bend somewhere else in the not too distant future. Good thing we at least have the forum. Davena, it sounds like you had one of those "wish I had stayed in bed" days - hope it's improving now.

And speaking of old and new friends on the forum - where in the world have all our regular gals gone? It's been way too quiet here for a long time. Raquel and Trish, Suzan, Sue, Aggie, Donna - it's been too long since we heard from you gals. Chime in and let us know you're alive and well at least! Davena - maybe YOU can rally the troops and get more of our gals posting? It's kinda dry around here on the forum (and I've been guilty all summer of not posting - 14 hours a day working takes away posting time). But road time is forum time - for me at least...! C'mon ladies - let's liven up this party!!

Richard & Sharon

I know I can't speak for everyone, but likely am speaking for most - it was a pleasure getting to know you both. Glad you had fun and hope to see you back next year. Please feel free to post here anytime. You Ruth, not Chip though (sorry Chip - you don't have enough estrogen to join us). Hope we see you out driving soon!

Here's an example of what kind of things we can talk about here (had some asking what we "should" talk about here). No "should's" - just a lot of things we can chat about...

For other ladies out there - I have a question. The rv fridges have the "restraining bars" that hole things from sliding off the shelves. How do you keep things from sliding around with residential fridges? So far no luck in finding one that fits the Dometic hole in the cabinet. Don't want to go larger because I'd loose valuable pantry space, and that's not a good trade for our lifestyle. Hoping that I can still find one. So far, they're either the right height and too narrow, or the right width and too tall. Bugger! If I can find one, I'll post what it is in case there's someone else out there who would like to do what we're doing at some point in time...

Richard & Sharon

Steve and Gail, thank you guys SO much for all of your work and thoughtfulness. We appreciate your efforts so much! The rally was a lot of fun, even seeing it horizontally. ;)

Ruth, good to meet you guys,

Sharon, if you put up those bars, you miss part of the adventure. Like today, we pulled in to our Walmart campground and a couple pulled up and started talking to us. As we finished showing them the house, I opened the fridge (part way - I'm learning) and 4 things fell out, not the least of these was the bowl of corn. Juice everywhere! It's always a surprise, but the baked beans sideways was the worst and that was before we got the fridge restraint, so we had been driving with the door partly open and sticky juice spilling out. As I said, it would take part of the fun of setting up away!

2013 Space Craft

Skip the RV fridge gear and get a spring tension curtain rod or two to keep stuff in your fridge. You just twist them to set the length and press them into place in front of the food. Store in a drawer or up at the top of the fridge compartment out of the way.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

For other ladies out there - I have a question. The rv fridges have the "restraining bars" that hole things from sliding off the shelves. How do you keep things from sliding around with residential fridges? So far no luck in finding one that fits the Dometic hole in the cabinet. Don't want to go larger because I'd loose valuable pantry space, and that's not a good trade for our lifestyle. Hoping that I can still find one. So far, they're either the right height and too narrow, or the right width and too tall. Bugger! If I can find one, I'll post what it is in case there's someone else out there who would like to do what we're doing at some point in time...

Sharon, have you checked out http://www.ajmadison.com? Jack recommended them when we were picking out appliances. They let you search by size and I loved that. BTW, my Dometic had no restraint bars, only the lock mechanism on the door, so I still had to be careful every time we opened it after travel.

With the residential one, I am thinking that clear tubs or something would help. I hate to have to store tension rods and remember to put them in. Marsha installed a door lock that is unobtrusive, so I am happy about that (since the residential doors have no lock mechanism whatsoever and come open when we drive down the road).

Hope you find one that fits your existing hole so you don't need to do much remodeling.

2013 Space Craft