RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

Hi all,

Sharon, yes, we all are enjoying our new rig. The kids love having their own "mini room" with great toy storage! I have done several sewing projects now and have obviously cooked many meals, and I LOVE the lay out. It is so perfect for us.

Alicia, can't wait to see your pics. Sounds like you made some very special memories.

Donna, I lived near Maryville for several years before acquiring my DH and really loved it there. Have traveled all over the US and that's still one of my top 5 places in our beautiful country.

We are totally enjoying our time here in NH with Davena et al. DH and Davena's hubby keep finding projects to work on and we are so enjoying Davena's sweet hospitality.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Sharon, yes, we all are enjoying our new rig. The kids love having their own "mini room" with great toy storage! I have done several sewing projects now and have obviously cooked many meals, and I LOVE the lay out. It is so perfect for us.

Alicia, can't wait to see your pics. Sounds like you made some very special memories.

Donna, I lived near Maryville for several years before acquiring my DH and really loved it there. Have traveled all over the US and that's still one of my top 5 places in our beautiful country. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. It has been a really busy year for us. We love it here. Moving here after growing up in the plains of Texas to mountains and trees everywhere. .

We are totally enjoying our time here in NH with Davena et al. DH and Davena's hubby keep finding projects to work on and we are so enjoying Davena's sweet hospitality.

Sharon:

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. It has been a very busy year for us. We have been working on our sticks and bricks home,(Still ongoing) entertaining family from Texas, and camping when we have time. We also are busy spending time with all our grandchildren; especially now with all the holiday programs and Christmas break coming up. . We plan to put our home on the market this next year and prepare for Carl to slow down to working at least half time. This will hopefully will allow us more time to travel around the US in our Suites! We really enjoyed meeting Janet and Raymond in Charleston in August for a few days of camping and sightseeing. Also, looking forward to seeing everyone at the ECR in April 2014 at Deer Run RV Resort. Want to wish everyone Merry Christmas,Happy New Year and Safe Travels!!

Donna

Some food for thought offered to me by a very smart lady who is part of our group (original author will note a few slight edits for brevity, clarification, or privacy)…

I guess the RDBE thread is a mystery to me in terms of its purpose. Maybe the RDBE thread was meant to be a gathering place - like communication around meetings or RDBE prep for the rally or drive projects like the cookbook? That would make it rather seasonal. Do we want to keep this exclusive to HDT drivers and those of us who know each other from the rallies? Maybe that was the point?

I suspect that I'm not the only one that doesn't know the purpose or the focus and that may be why people don't turn to it as a means of communication.

Just saying that without clear direction it's really hard to gather momentum. There are a lot of other options in the Escapees forums if we are looking for specific information on RV topics.

If its purpose is to keep HDT driving / riding / living ladies connected socially, let's say so and socialize. If it's about HDT driving comments, questions, and answers - let's focus. If it's a mini-forum for big rig living for women, and educating wannabe's - let's focus. But why recreate the wheel if the topics are not HDT specific and they are covered other places in the forum? If there isn't enough perceived value there we won't give it time - too many other things compete for our attention and I'm not just talking about the forum.

Then make the forum thread more valuable by:
1) becoming a focused resource with info that no one else provides, and
2) making sure more people are "in the know"

We've buried our thread:

1) under a code name I can't say without thinking it through EVERY time (RIGS DRIVEN BY ESTROGEN) - "RDBE"
2) sounds exclusive: "for those in the know" – how would a visitor know that they are welcome to this exclusive group? Or maybe we should spell out what RDBE is and loose the “in the know” part?
3) under HDT - which most women are not going to look under unless they are already in the life stye or doing specific research about it. If we took a survey of HDT owners, I would bet most guys lead their women into HDT instead of the rare opposite.

Lack of participation indicates:
• there isn't enough perceived value to attract the people who are already in the know
• or not enough value to compete for a woman's precious little down time (how much time do you get to sit down in a day?)
• needs are being met elsewhere
• it's the wrong media
• or we are disappointed with our unmet expectations because we have the wrong expectations and they need to be revised
• or has the thread run its course? Not saying it has, but if there is NO participation, unless there is some kind of change it's already over even if it is a sticky at the top of the list
Do we keep the thread as it is and be satisfied that it's available for HDT women to touch base from time to time? Do we open the thread up to others investigating options and solutions to life transitions by making a more inviting, easily understood name? (break the RDBE code? Maybe develop a F.A.Q.s resource guide re women driving RVs/ HDTs, etc. VS conversing via the thread)?

Here's my personal analysis on my RDBE thread use and why we need to reach out and marketing to more women who may not yet be in the RV or HDT lifestyle – MOST women are NOT thinking about the truck unless there’s a specific need!

I don’t know what you other ladies think – and especially Davena who created this section of the HDT forum, but there are some really good questions here to mull over and maybe discuss, “when we find time”. Meantime, hope all of you have a SPLENDID and beautiful CHRIST-mas this year!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season and will have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy New Year!

We are in transition. House sold in 3 days, but 24 hrs before closing the lender pulled their funding to the buyer! Immediately back on market and showings galore, another contract 6 days later. We are hopeful around the end of January we will get to the closing table and be done with that. In the meantime, we moved some items (way too many) to our home base in Oak Hill, FL.

The Rig was moved to Yukon RV Park, Jacksonville, FL and Raymond has a 2.1 miles commute to work for the duration. 8 March 14 Retirement Date! As soon as I can get some boxes unpacked, sorted, etc I'll be in Jax with him. In the meantime, we are getting done what we need done! Looking forward to our FL exit 16 March 2014. First stop a month in Crossville, TN and the ECR 2014.

Safe travels to all.

Janet

CONGRATS (again!) Janet - what a ride you're having with your house. Can you send some of those lookers to Colorado so we can get ours sold??

Well, as part of the Merry Christmas wishes - here's a funny to lighten your day...

There was once a great czar in Russia named Rudolph the Red. He stood looking out the windows of is palace one day while his wife, the Czarina Katerina, sat nearby knitting. He turned to her and said, "Look my dear, it has begun to rain!" Without even looking up from her knitting she replied, "It's too cold to rain. It must be sleeting." The Czar shook his head and said, "I am the Czar of all Russia, and Rudolph the Red knows rain, dear!"

So have a SAFE and blessed Christ-mas everyone - and watch out for the crazies on the roads!

Sharon

Edited by kingskids

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season and will have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy New Year!

We are in transition. House sold in 3 days, but 24 hrs before closing the lender pulled their funding to the buyer! Immediately back on market and showings galore, another contract 6 days later. We are hopeful around the end of January we will get to the closing table and be done with that. In the meantime, we moved some items (way too many) to our home base in Oak Hill, FL.

The Rig was moved to Yukon RV Park, Jacksonville, FL and Raymond has a 2.1 miles commute to work for the duration. 8 March 14 Retirement Date! As soon as I can get some boxes unpacked, sorted, etc I'll be in Jax with him. In the meantime, we are getting done what we need done! Looking forward to our FL exit 16 March 2014. First stop a month in Crossville, TN and the ECR 2014.

Safe travels to all.

Janet

Janet:

So happy for you and Raymond. I know you will be glad when you can slow down a bit. Can't wait yo see you and Raymond when you get to Crossville.

Merry Christmas ! Let us remember to celebrate his birthday! Safe travels everyone.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. We made an emergency run and got in at 1:30 AM yesterday. Had to boondock in the driveway of the campground, as we didn't think they would want us parking this thing at that hour!

DH's Mom and Dad were in a very bad car accident. His Dad got a nasty cut on the head and banged up. His Mom is in critical condition in ICU. They are finding new breaks every time they make an image. She is in a lot of pain, but they think they stopped the internal bleeding. So far they've found seven broken ribs, three broken vertebrae, a fractured elbow, and a broken pelvis.

Any prayers would surely be appreciated.

Thanks, ladies.

Heidi

Hi all. We made an emergency run and got in at 1:30 AM yesterday. Had to boondock in the driveway of the campground, as we didn't think they would want us parking this thing at that hour!

DH's Mom and Dad were in a very bad car accident. His Dad got a nasty cut on the head and banged up. His Mom is in critical condition in ICU. They are finding new breaks every time they make an image. She is in a lot of pain, but they think they stopped the internal bleeding. So far they've found seven broken ribs, three broken vertebrae, a fractured elbow, and a broken pelvis.

Any prayers would surely be appreciated.

Thanks, ladies.

Heidi

Heidi, So sorry to heard about Robert's Mom and Dad. Prayers have begun for you all.

Janet

We will continue to lift up R's parents (and his mom in particular with the pain she must be in). May our Heavenly Father take her injured body in his hands of comfort and help her with the pain and the healing. Be sure to post any needs here, you know this is a tight and caring group who will always help whenever possible. Might even want to post the prayer request in the general section (outside of the HDT) where you can get more eyes on the prayer request quicker. Our love to you guys and to his parents.

Thank you all so much for your concern and your prayers. They are being felt. We are in the Memphis area.

DH's Dad is doing much better with his pain levels, as is DH's Mom. So far they are not talking surgery for any of her breaks - she is in a neck brace and a back brace and has a cast on her one arm. She was doing much better this afternoon (after taking her meds more regularly :huh:). DH seems to be doing well and his siblings are settling down and feeling more at ease.

I will probably need to help take care of my SIL's two little ones on and off for a while here, so you can pray that I have the grace to do that.

Thanks again for your concern.

Heidi

Heidi, I'm so glad you had time to update us. I was going to send you an email, but figured the last thing you needed was a ton of emails showing up. Knew you'd update when you had time. Amazing that they aren't talking surgery for so many breaks and injuries yet. She must be an amazingly strong woman! If anyone can take care of 6 children with grace, it's you my friend! You're just wired that way :D. Prayers will continue for all of you guys, MIL in particular of course. Let her know she has lots of folks praying? It should make her feel more loved and cared for. Hang in there, you'll all get thru it by God's grace and comfort. Keep those updates coming, ok? Hugs to you, Robert, the little people, and the "other grandparents" (you'll understand what I mean!).

Sharon

Heidi! So sorry to hear about Roberrt's parents and will be praying for comfort and a quick recovery. I also pray that the medical and vehicle insurance companies don't provide any challenges. You don't need that headache on top of all the other stuff.

Let us know if we can assist in any way.

HUGS,

Alicia

DH's Mom is progressing slowly. She took three steps forward - literally - today, so that is amazing.

She really needs to be able to breathe more deeply so her oxygen levels are at a reasonable level, so that is the prayer request for the day.

Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers.

BTW, we will have 6 kids tomorrow. Did I mention 400 sq ft and 39 degrees for the high? Please pray for grace and camaraderie.

Thanks!

Heidi

Praise God for "small steps"! I'm actually amazed she can even stand up with those injuries! Prayers will of course continue - and like I said before, if ANYONE can handle 6 kids in an rv on a cold day - it's my friend Heidi. I bet you'll say "not everyone is having fun" more than once though! Hugs to all...

Heidi, I saw your post this morning but had no time to respond before work.

I am so glad things are progressing. I have been praying for you guys. Please tell DD1 that remember how much she loves quietness. I am praying that she can be loving and gracious during this wild, busy, and chaotic time! Hugs to everyone! Susan

Okay, I was wrong. It was 6 kids and a high of 29. Brr! The day went quite smoothly. Amazingly two 2 year olds shared toys, the moon was repaired, the queens maid in waiting was enjoying her job, Saturn is doing well, etc, etc. We were NOT bored today! :rolleyes:

R spent the morning and evening with his Mom. She made over 40 steps today AND sat up for 2 hours!

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers.

Heidi

I don't know if I am allowed to post here but that is great news. The more she moves the sooner she can go somewhere that sick people don't always hang out. Keep the watch on the hand washing of EVERY PERSON WHO WALKS INTO HER ROOM. No matter if they touch her or not. They will have touched something in another room and will touch something in your room.

Rod

Wow, amazing progress for mom! I know they can't "fix" broken ribs, but is there anything they're going to do about the back? Other than a brace that is... What in the world do they do for a broken pelvis?? Bless her heart. I can't imagine how much pain she must be in. Richard did just one rib, and it turned out not to be broken, and he hurt big time for about 6 months, so my brain can't even imagine what she's in for.

We knew you would have a "survivable day" with all the kids - you're just hard wired for such! Glad it all went well. And I do agree with Rod - mom doesn't need to be fighting something like MRSA from germs brought in - on top of what she's got to deal with now. We'll give you a pass for this time Rod :rolleyes:

Edited by kingskids