RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

Heidi - I'll email you later with other Q&A, but thought I would update you on the refrigerator issue. We aren't willing to sacrifice cabinet space to make the hole any bigger, so we're stuck with the Dometic size hole, and sadly NO ONE makes a fridge that will fit. There is an surprising number of refrigerator makers, and none make one that size. I'm SOOOO disappointed about the fridge - but it's life huh? I wish I could have it, but I'm simply not willing to give up storage of uncooked food for storage of uncooked food.

So I guess I don't need to worry about things sliding around. Oh, about the plastic bins in the fridge - think about making the "baskets" out of the plastic canvas (I think you've seen mine, right?) because plastic bins don't allow air circulation and food spoils quicker. Plus it makes the fridge less efficient.

We are going to get the SeeLevel gauges and the propane level gauges put on after we leave DRV though. And pick up the new "porch" while going thru TX. We'll be all set for the winter.

So what's new with anyone else?

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's new with me? Well, Sharon, I just bought a jar of coconut oil for my popcorn! Thought you and Richard would want to know. :P

Enjoyed seeing everyone at the Rally, but really missed those that couldn't attend!

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Susan - I was wondering about you and the popcorn. Costco has a EIGHT pound container (looks about like a gallon jug size) of Orville! Super great price. Lovin' the coconut now?

We're at the factory now - just got done with a 9.5 hour driving day - UGGHHH! A day of rest tomorrow, then back to the 6am up and out of the coach routine - not my favorite part. Just wish they'd make the customer lounge into a nicer place...

Travel safe ladies!

Richard & Sharon

I'm pretty sure our weight limitations prohibit that amount of popcorn!

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Hey ladies, we just made it back to DFW area - well almost. We're still north of Denton, but at least south of Oklahoma. Hickory Creek Corps of Engineers Park in Lewisville is still padlocked at the street. Former COE park residents have filled up the few spaces where we could fit in every park surrounding Dallas. We spent last week waiting out the government shut down with the Dixons and Bagleys in S.W. Oklahoma. Nice, quiet corner of the world. I had no phone service so I'm doing double-time to catch up.

Davena, we had a wonderful group of RDBE gals and new-bees attend our meeting. The meeting dynamics have changed somewhat in the last few years because there are so many more opportunities for ladies to interact BEFORE we get to the RDBE meeting, we don't have to spend time with introductions, etc. This year we had a large panel of lady drivers who answered our questions on DRIVING! Yeah! You would have been proud - so many of your proteges are now leading the new comers! We missed our annual lesson in Ketchup, but everyone who wanted to drive had a choice of driving coaches. All the feedback regarding their in-truck experience was awesome.

We recorded the RDBE discussion and it came out quite clear with a headset until right at the end... a bit of a low roar from the shoppers in the hall and the back of the room, but for the most part I think the recording would be a great resource for this thread. I won't be able to edit it this week, but soon. I need to find out where we can park the mp3 file and then I'll post the link for everyone. Maybe Escapees would give us a few mgs on their server or perhaps Mark Bruss will upload it with the other HDT resource info. We'll see what turns up.

It was great to see Henry. If he hasn't given it to you yet, look for a business letter sized envelope addressed to "Davena #1" from "Sheri #53." It will have the ORIGINAL sign up sheet from our meeting that covers new members and CHANGES. If nothing changed current members didn't fill in the sheet. I did have the presence of mind to keep a copy in case it was lost in transit. Let me know.

I discussed some ideas for next year with the Dixon's based on questions ladies asked that would be better answered with a live demo. They will ask about a facility that could accomodate the entire group and a truck indoors. The rally is a week later next year, with the burrrrrrrrr potential going up. Heard it snowed this week in Hutch. Yikes.

I think the first year we came to the rally Henry had a simple little truck / trailer model he'd made out of wood. I'd like to get my hands on something like that so we can watch from overhead what happens to the trailer when we back up the truck "this way or that way." Every year backing is a big question and it might help us visualize what's going on overall. Now I'm musing out loud, but if Henry was the one who had that little truck, maybe he'll pack it next year for us. Or maybe someone will make us one if they have access to a wood shop. Or maybe some Volvo shop will donate a model rig... hmmmm.

Anyway, it's a privilege to be part of the group and I enjoy being able to contribute by facilitating, and will be glad to do it whenever asked. Everyone adds to the learning. No one can take your place.

We're in the north Dallas area through 11/5 and then head for the border where we expect to be at least through March. It's going to be a busy, busy two weeks.

BTW... on food flying out of the refrigerator: we have the flip up bars built in, but where they've broken we use a tension bar. Keeps the milk, etc. in place. Heidi, I hide it in the island by the George Forman. Doesn't take up any space at all. Sometimes I remember to use it, sometimes not. If the shelf isn't full I make sure to put it in there. If the shelf is so full there isn't any open space, the door keeps things from sliding around.

I also use smaller tension rods on the 3 shelves in the medicine cabinet and that REALLY solved some problems. Things always hopped off the bathroom shelves until I got the bars. They stay there year round. I just push them down to shelf level when we're parked and raise them higher when we travel.

Hello all!

Sherry, you did aTERRIFFIC job runnign the RDBE meeting. The panel discussion was quite helpful. When you get in this area, I can meet you for an afternoon beverage or something if our schedules work out. You shoudl ahve my contact info on the form. Speaking of contact info on the form, is this posted privately somewhere? Quite a few of us wanted to keep in touch with one another.

Davena, you should know that because you let me drive your rig on my first visit, I taught two gals how to drive my rig. They discoevered what i learned from you, that it isn't as hard as it seems. What a confidence builder and I hope to do that for more women at our next meeting! :)

Sharon, loved your cat mobile. Greatness! Good luck selling the home and land!

Susan, what's this about cocnut oil for popcorn? Will that make it taste like move theater popcorn???

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

Alicia, I don't really like theater popcorn (too salty) so I would say "no". I think is supposed to be healthier (at least until the next study is done and we find out it causes hairy eyelids or some such nonsense!) than other oils. I can't taste the coconut most of the time, but Trey says he can smell it. I love popcorn and eat it for dinner at least once a week. If I can make it more healthy (or less unhealthy) I will try. BUT I will not sacrifice flavor or crunch.

Sherrie, you did a great job! I know keeping us ladies in line is quite a task!

I have nothing to offer on the fridge issues. We have an RV fridge. We don't keep it full and food does occasionally slide around, but it does not fall out when I open the doors - at least not yet.

We are currently in SW Arkansas in the middle of nowhere. It is quiet and beautiful and I love it! I think Trey wants a TV signal (any TV signal) and better internet, but I'm enjoying the tranquility. The next four to five months we will be in very urban areas, so I'm eking out as much nature as I can right now.

Those of you wanting to drive or drive more often, it has been a week since the rally ended... anybody driven much?

We are making progress and took a huge step yesterday with the listing of our Jax home. It will be officially on the market Monday - just in time for me to fly to Denver to spend 3 wonderful weeks with our daughter! I am sooo looking forward to a break and seeing her. We are moving our Rig to Jax this Saturday (from home base along the central coast of FL) - once we get a contract we will move to the RV for the remainder of Raymond's working days. 8 March 2014. We hope Raymond is rehabbed from his foot injury and running again in the 2014 Gate River Run 15 March and THEN we will pull out of Jax on 16 March 2014! All tentative of course...all we can do is make plans and see how they unfold. Hope to have a mini get together in central FL with many of you later this Fall.

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

We are currently in SW Arkansas in the middle of nowhere. It is quiet and beautiful and I love it! I think Trey wants a TV signal (any TV signal) and better internet, but I'm enjoying the tranquility.

Hey Susan, are you boondocking in AK? If so where? I bet it's lovely and lush. We cannot wait until we get on the road!!!! Have a great fall.

Chip and Ruth

2000 Kenworth T2000 'Titus'

2006 Keystone Raptor 'Cletus'

2010 Smart 'Alyck'

Hey Ruth,

While we will do a few nights of dry camping, we are more RVers than campers - we are soft and lazy. We stayed at a very small RV park just east of Wickes, AR about 2 miles west of the Cossatot River State Park on HWY 248. It was $84/week for full hookups so we planted ourselves for 7 days while we explored. We were able to take daily drives on the bike, a couple of hikes, and still got much work done (we work on the road.) It is beautiful here in AR - the first week of autumn colors are showing. We are currently in Hot Springs, AR where we plan more drives and more exploring (and more work too.)

I hope your RV hunt goes well. I look forward to hearing good news. I can't remember if you have more or less than two years before you hit the road.

Janet, we will be in central FL soon and look forward to seeing you guys! I am really good at packing boxes and getting rid of long-held material possessions. Do you need me to help with Raymond's stuff? ;)

Susan, I am from Arkansas, in fact I'm in North Little Rock until monday saying hey to the folks. I miss the nature here, it is so beautiful. I'm glad youa re enjoying my home state. :)

Janet, good luck on the house!

Ruth, thanks for the link-I'll check it out.

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gals, I heard the rally was fantastic and grateful for Sherrie doing a great job as usual. She was a born leader:) Keep on driving Alicia and glad you are training and encouraging other ladies. Did anyone get to drive for the first time this year?? As soon as I finish updating the member list I will get it out to all of you. I don't want to publish it here because it it too massive, but will attempt to email it in small batches. The last time I did it in volume I got a virus , so I won't do that again (: We are loving it here in FL on the Treasure Coast. The last 2 days the weather reporters were raving about the cold front coming, and telling people to bundle up! Guess what , it went from the 80's to 72! Wow what a cold front! It was balmy for us northerners and just delightful. Now back to the low 80's. We moved our RV from the campground to a storage area. We both say that our new home is like being on vacation every day, so I'm not sure when the A1 will be on the road again.

Member Updates: Heidi will be in the TN area for a while where Bob is doing contract work. I sure hope she gets her back fixed before they hit the road again. Bonnie and Gail Quinn are in Gulfport, AL for November. Chris and Vern have arrived back in Bushnell, FL and are frequenting our favorite Lickety Splits Ice Cream shop. Cindy and Jeff Brett are heading down the east coast SLOWLY (not at our express speeds) and will be joining Chris and Vern in Bushnell. Connie and Marv Marcy will be heading to Key West for the winter and Robin and Jim Hicks are heading that way also. They were in Daytona the last I heard. Don and Fannie France made it safely back to their stix n brix home near Phoenix after a 7000 mi trip to the east coast, Canada , Florida, across the southern gulf coast to AK, OK, KS and AZ. By the way, her family in the Philippines were thankfully, 200 miles north of the devastation. Many of the gals are back in Retama at their winter hideaways. I miss you all, we had such a fun time when we were there. Rod Lappin and his new Spacecraft is headed to FL and the McCorristons are in Christmas, FL. Surely, I'm missing someone but will try to update more often.

We have a lovely campground 6 miles from us and would love to see anyone heading to the east coast of FL. Good luck Janet on selling your house and hope we can get together the next time you are in Oak Hill. We will be flying to NH for Christmas and New Years and can't wait to see our kids and grand-kids again.

I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving and very Merry Christmas. Safe travels and keep on driving!

Thanks for the update, Davena! So nice to hear where everyone is.

I've been in Denver visiting our daughter since 28 October. She gets to come to FL, so the return to FL begin 18 November with she/I doing a road trip. Hope to home 20 November and then the fun begins! House was listed 28 October and went under contract 1 November. Even though buyers are pre-approved - until all processing is done you just never know, but we are hopeful !!! Closing is scheduled for 16 December. Lots do to - moving a few pieces of furniture to home base in Oak Hill, FL; Salvation Army for some other pieces.

RV will be moved to a small RV park across from JAX NAS where we will be until Jax exit date 16 March 2014. Davena - looking forward to getting together sometime before he 'head out on the highway'.

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas and safe travels to All.

2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, ladies! I wanted to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving and that you are blessed where ever you are!

My folks will be driving in form Little Rock to Dallas area to join Rick's folks and us for a THREE TURKEY meal at our home! We will have all the fixin's including pumpkin and pecan pie. It will be cold outside when the boys fry those turkeys but they can gather around the pot to stay warm. haha

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

post-24067-0-64506000-1385395719_thumb.jpg

Edited by ON2YNP

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sharon, yes, we all are enjoying our new rig. The kids love having their own "mini room" with great toy storage! I have done several sewing projects now and have obviously cooked many meals, and I LOVE the lay out. It is so perfect for us.

Alicia, can't wait to see your pics. Sounds like you made some very special memories.

Donna, I lived near Maryville for several years before acquiring my DH and really loved it there. Have traveled all over the US and that's still one of my top 5 places in our beautiful country.

We are totally enjoying our time here in NH with Davena et al. DH and Davena's hubby keep finding projects to work on and we are so enjoying Davena's sweet hospitality.

2006 Volvo VNL 780 "Hoss", Volvo D12 465hp 1650 ft/lbs Ultrashift

Bed by JW Morgan Custom Welding

Tandem

2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

Hi all,

Sharon, yes, we all are enjoying our new rig. The kids love having their own "mini room" with great toy storage! I have done several sewing projects now and have obviously cooked many meals, and I LOVE the lay out. It is so perfect for us.

Alicia, can't wait to see your pics. Sounds like you made some very special memories.

Donna, I lived near Maryville for several years before acquiring my DH and really loved it there. Have traveled all over the US and that's still one of my top 5 places in our beautiful country. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. It has been a really busy year for us. We love it here. Moving here after growing up in the plains of Texas to mountains and trees everywhere. .

We are totally enjoying our time here in NH with Davena et al. DH and Davena's hubby keep finding projects to work on and we are so enjoying Davena's sweet hospitality.

Tandem

2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Sharon:

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. It has been a very busy year for us. We have been working on our sticks and bricks home,(Still ongoing) entertaining family from Texas, and camping when we have time. We also are busy spending time with all our grandchildren; especially now with all the holiday programs and Christmas break coming up. . We plan to put our home on the market this next year and prepare for Carl to slow down to working at least half time. This will hopefully will allow us more time to travel around the US in our Suites! We really enjoyed meeting Janet and Raymond in Charleston in August for a few days of camping and sightseeing. Also, looking forward to seeing everyone at the ECR in April 2014 at Deer Run RV Resort. Want to wish everyone Merry Christmas,Happy New Year and Safe Travels!!

Donna

Tandem

2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Some food for thought offered to me by a very smart lady who is part of our group (original author will note a few slight edits for brevity, clarification, or privacy)…

I guess the RDBE thread is a mystery to me in terms of its purpose. Maybe the RDBE thread was meant to be a gathering place - like communication around meetings or RDBE prep for the rally or drive projects like the cookbook? That would make it rather seasonal. Do we want to keep this exclusive to HDT drivers and those of us who know each other from the rallies? Maybe that was the point?

I suspect that I'm not the only one that doesn't know the purpose or the focus and that may be why people don't turn to it as a means of communication.

Just saying that without clear direction it's really hard to gather momentum. There are a lot of other options in the Escapees forums if we are looking for specific information on RV topics.

If its purpose is to keep HDT driving / riding / living ladies connected socially, let's say so and socialize. If it's about HDT driving comments, questions, and answers - let's focus. If it's a mini-forum for big rig living for women, and educating wannabe's - let's focus. But why recreate the wheel if the topics are not HDT specific and they are covered other places in the forum? If there isn't enough perceived value there we won't give it time - too many other things compete for our attention and I'm not just talking about the forum.

Then make the forum thread more valuable by:
1) becoming a focused resource with info that no one else provides, and
2) making sure more people are "in the know"

We've buried our thread:

1) under a code name I can't say without thinking it through EVERY time (RIGS DRIVEN BY ESTROGEN) - "RDBE"
2) sounds exclusive: "for those in the know" – how would a visitor know that they are welcome to this exclusive group? Or maybe we should spell out what RDBE is and loose the “in the know” part?
3) under HDT - which most women are not going to look under unless they are already in the life stye or doing specific research about it. If we took a survey of HDT owners, I would bet most guys lead their women into HDT instead of the rare opposite.

Lack of participation indicates:
• there isn't enough perceived value to attract the people who are already in the know
• or not enough value to compete for a woman's precious little down time (how much time do you get to sit down in a day?)
• needs are being met elsewhere
• it's the wrong media
• or we are disappointed with our unmet expectations because we have the wrong expectations and they need to be revised
• or has the thread run its course? Not saying it has, but if there is NO participation, unless there is some kind of change it's already over even if it is a sticky at the top of the list
Do we keep the thread as it is and be satisfied that it's available for HDT women to touch base from time to time? Do we open the thread up to others investigating options and solutions to life transitions by making a more inviting, easily understood name? (break the RDBE code? Maybe develop a F.A.Q.s resource guide re women driving RVs/ HDTs, etc. VS conversing via the thread)?

Here's my personal analysis on my RDBE thread use and why we need to reach out and marketing to more women who may not yet be in the RV or HDT lifestyle – MOST women are NOT thinking about the truck unless there’s a specific need!

I don’t know what you other ladies think – and especially Davena who created this section of the HDT forum, but there are some really good questions here to mull over and maybe discuss, “when we find time”. Meantime, hope all of you have a SPLENDID and beautiful CHRIST-mas this year!

Richard & Sharon

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season and will have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy New Year!

We are in transition. House sold in 3 days, but 24 hrs before closing the lender pulled their funding to the buyer! Immediately back on market and showings galore, another contract 6 days later. We are hopeful around the end of January we will get to the closing table and be done with that. In the meantime, we moved some items (way too many) to our home base in Oak Hill, FL.

The Rig was moved to Yukon RV Park, Jacksonville, FL and Raymond has a 2.1 miles commute to work for the duration. 8 March 14 Retirement Date! As soon as I can get some boxes unpacked, sorted, etc I'll be in Jax with him. In the meantime, we are getting done what we need done! Looking forward to our FL exit 16 March 2014. First stop a month in Crossville, TN and the ECR 2014.

Safe travels to all.

Janet

2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart

CONGRATS (again!) Janet - what a ride you're having with your house. Can you send some of those lookers to Colorado so we can get ours sold??

Well, as part of the Merry Christmas wishes - here's a funny to lighten your day...

There was once a great czar in Russia named Rudolph the Red. He stood looking out the windows of is palace one day while his wife, the Czarina Katerina, sat nearby knitting. He turned to her and said, "Look my dear, it has begun to rain!" Without even looking up from her knitting she replied, "It's too cold to rain. It must be sleeting." The Czar shook his head and said, "I am the Czar of all Russia, and Rudolph the Red knows rain, dear!"

So have a SAFE and blessed Christ-mas everyone - and watch out for the crazies on the roads!

Sharon

Edited by kingskids

Richard & Sharon

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season and will have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy New Year!

We are in transition. House sold in 3 days, but 24 hrs before closing the lender pulled their funding to the buyer! Immediately back on market and showings galore, another contract 6 days later. We are hopeful around the end of January we will get to the closing table and be done with that. In the meantime, we moved some items (way too many) to our home base in Oak Hill, FL.

The Rig was moved to Yukon RV Park, Jacksonville, FL and Raymond has a 2.1 miles commute to work for the duration. 8 March 14 Retirement Date! As soon as I can get some boxes unpacked, sorted, etc I'll be in Jax with him. In the meantime, we are getting done what we need done! Looking forward to our FL exit 16 March 2014. First stop a month in Crossville, TN and the ECR 2014.

Safe travels to all.

Janet

Janet:

So happy for you and Raymond. I know you will be glad when you can slow down a bit. Can't wait yo see you and Raymond when you get to Crossville.

Merry Christmas ! Let us remember to celebrate his birthday! Safe travels everyone.

Tandem

2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3

• 1 month later...

Hi all. We made an emergency run and got in at 1:30 AM yesterday. Had to boondock in the driveway of the campground, as we didn't think they would want us parking this thing at that hour!

DH's Mom and Dad were in a very bad car accident. His Dad got a nasty cut on the head and banged up. His Mom is in critical condition in ICU. They are finding new breaks every time they make an image. She is in a lot of pain, but they think they stopped the internal bleeding. So far they've found seven broken ribs, three broken vertebrae, a fractured elbow, and a broken pelvis.

Any prayers would surely be appreciated.

Thanks, ladies.

Heidi

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

Hi all. We made an emergency run and got in at 1:30 AM yesterday. Had to boondock in the driveway of the campground, as we didn't think they would want us parking this thing at that hour!

DH's Mom and Dad were in a very bad car accident. His Dad got a nasty cut on the head and banged up. His Mom is in critical condition in ICU. They are finding new breaks every time they make an image. She is in a lot of pain, but they think they stopped the internal bleeding. So far they've found seven broken ribs, three broken vertebrae, a fractured elbow, and a broken pelvis.

Any prayers would surely be appreciated.

Thanks, ladies.

Heidi

Heidi, So sorry to heard about Robert's Mom and Dad. Prayers have begun for you all.

Janet

2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart