Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Just joined. I would not post, but for the request that lurkers do so. Found this forum while looking for some other information. I planning, if all goes well, to start on a Truck Conversion about a year from now. The big stuff has been narrowed down. Tractor for basis will either be a Western Star or Kenworth. With the impending death of CAT, I suspect I'll go Western Star for a DD15, with an 18 speed Auto-Shift behind it, but that can change. (I used to drive OTR, so I am not bothered by big trucks.) Residential portion will be a 35' sleeper by Double Eagle or Indiana Custom trucks, I think (OAL just under 45').

The rig will be used for two main purposes - one is as residence at work (commute length issue); the other travel to visit family or go to training. We have dogs that others consider "big", which makes hotels annoying. This was, all we have to do when it's time to sleep etc is find a place to park.

I have no interest in a 5th wheel - want to be able to get up and move in to the residential area without getting out, keep the dogs with us, etc. This will be only diesel and electric - no propane. Generator, solar panels, big AGM storage batteries, etc.

This is the short version, and of course, education may lead to evolution.

Old 'n' grumpy, and getting worse all the time.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug M,

CAT is not going anywhere, they are just no longer selling *NEW*truck engines. Their truck shops will not close just because they are

out of the truck engine market, they make more money selling parts anyway. Furthermore the "truck" engines are used in their equipment,

so I wouldn't get discouraged with CATERPILLAR just yet.:)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :D

Do NOT send me a PM, Cliick HERE to email me!

In considering a truck like that you need to ask yourself just how much you enjoy meeting new people, such as tow truck drivers and heavy truck mechanics?

Or perhaps, enjoying the great outdoors, like the side of the road while waiting to meet those exciting people?

Ed, I would try to get to the Hutchinson Rally as well. Lots of opportunity to drive trucks, and there are activities for the ladies, as well as seminars on various topics. It is more of an educational rally. The East Coast Rally is more of a social rally, without seminars. David - correct me if I'm wrong. COnsider it an investment - there are hotels if you need them and we welcome all.....

Hi Jack,

I would like to know more about the Hutchinson Rally. What is the date of the rally? And what town or city,and what state is it in? I am planning on going to the East Coast Rally in the spring. The educational part of the Hutchinson Rally sounds pretty neat. I need to learn as much as I can about HDT's.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al, look in the resouce guide at the top of the HDT forum and you will find the details. There is one markd Rally in the stickies. If you have trouble finding it, repost and I'll put a link to it....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hello Al

Here's a LINK to the rally section of the HDT RG.

National Rally Details:

6th Annual (2009) National HDT Rally:

What is the National HDT Rally?

The National HDT rally is the event for information and education on using, maintaining, procuring, and configuring a Class 7 or 8 Tractor as a 5th wheel RV toter

Here's the Link to the Official 2009 National HDT Rally thread.

The 2009 National HDT Rally has been booked for October 4th (2009) through October 9th (2009) at the Kansas State Fairgrounds in Hutchinson, Kansas which is the same location as last years rally.

The organizers had to use these dates since two other Rallies had already been booked for the week before these dates.

On a Side Note, the scheduled date for the 2009 National HDT Rally Does Conflict with the Ballon Fest in New Mexico.

If you have further questions about the rally before I post additional information in this post you can post your questions in the Official 2009 National HDT Rally Thread through the link above or PM - Still Working "Larry" - and he will try to answer any questions that you have concerning the rally.

And last but not least, below is the eMail address for the 2009 HDT Rally Registration Requests.

Send eMails to: Rally Registration Requests with 2009 HDT Rally Registration Requests in the Subject Line of your eMail.

That is All.....

Jon
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . JonMary-ImprintMTShadow.jpg
. . 
Bodacious "aKa" BigBig ~ 2000 Turquoise Metallic VNL770
.  2003 6.0L C.C. DRW F-350. .    Dang Kid's - & - Their Toys. .                                1998 34' Citation Fifth Wheel

339121917.jpg

Doug M,

CAT is not going anywhere, they are just no longer selling *NEW*truck engines. :P

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :(

Thanks. I know they are not "gone", but I am almost certain to be ordering a new truck, which will be after the end date of their engine supply.

Old 'n' grumpy, and getting worse all the time.

G'day, all.

While I don't have an RV myself - yet - I've been fascinated for years by some of the more elaborate models, and have taken to sketching designs for custom personalized rigs; maybe in five or ten years I'll be able to have one of them built and go do a little touring.

I'm very much into "bigger is better", and love seeing expansion systems like those in Jexcar's Monolith. I'm currently trying to see if I can cram 1000-4000 sqft of floorspace into a semitrailer, and playing around with all kinds of things that slide, fold, rotate, inflate, compress, collapse, self-clean, and do double or triple duty. I'm also trying to track down the thinnest 30-50'x4-8' wall/floor panel design that won't bend or warp and will still keep out sound and weather. The thinner the panels, the more I can pack into the trailer for travel, and the larger the space they can slide out into. Currently, the various 38-foot KPRA rules are my bugbear, as they limit the size of the panel I can fit under the bed, which in turn limits the engineering elegance and total length of the various expanding sections. If I can get the panels down to about an inch thick, I might be able to expand a trailer's interior floorspace by eight to tenfold, but then we run into maximum semitrailer length issues - 53'? 48'? 12.5m?

I am curious as to the largest size of HDT-RV that could legally travel on most roads (not just interstates) in North America and Europe. Every place seems to have its own regulations about what size of vehicle can go where.

• 1 month later...
Hi Jim & Martha here we have a 2001 770 for the last year . But for the last year have nothing but trouble from the autoshift first we had a X Y shifted but in about 30 days ago a new clutch oh big bucks and still it is not shifting right it gets up to operating temperature . it acts like it is looking for a gear but can't find one step on the fuel and nothing . would like to do some traveling but , no fun with it acting up . stuck in town with a sick autoshift Jim

UP DATE We finaly got it fixed , Took it to someone that knew what he is doing . I think it was the transcooler leaking into the transmission. Jim

Jim

GOOD LUCK Jim. Continue to keep me posted by email..................Hope I can see your new rig before I go back to SD. If not, I sure want to see it up there!!!!!

Regards

Mike

Thanks We took a short trip to the Grand Cayon RV park , I noted it shifed a little hard into 5th gear so I took it back to the shop and had the thansmission drained and refilled after we got back.

So the next trip we are going to is Prescott Valley AZ the 13th guess we will find out more then , Oh when thay drained the tranny the 2nd time thay did find more pink looking oil. Jim

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a lurker/dreamer for a while and now I think I might be ready to trade my Cummins Dodge for a 99 VNL64. I tow a 16k toybox and would love the safety of an HDT vs my 3/4 ton pickup. The truck I might trade for has an M11, super 10 and no jake. I'm not thrilled about no jake but I'm guessing it will still be much better than my pickup. Eric

:) Dbl.... Welcome !!!!!

Just a thought ....With the current prices of trucks these days ...you should be able to find a truck with a jake,autoshift,Or anything else you want at a good price ....keep looking ...Your ride is out there somewhere !!!!! JMHO Jim

Jim&Hazel,03 Volvo 610,425hp,10sp Autoshift,Eaton 3:90 rear,24.5Alum,184"wb,ET jr/air hitch,SafVis Cams4,XM,Press/Pro,Garmin2720,CB,Rally Sport/TS,Bigfoot Levelers,03Roadking,02Dyna Lowrider,Golden Ret in spirit,Choc Lab(Trash)..Herrin Hauler Bed..Toyota FJ ...SKP# 95463 http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2901871210078354682lLxYIz .Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez ....

I agree with Jim. First welcome aboard....second, I would keep hunting. There are LOTS of good trucks out there. Nothing wrong withthe M11 - although I would prefer the electronics in my ISM. But I would never buy a truck without a Jake. Also, on the M11 - make sure you can bump that hp/torque up. On some engines you can not.

If you are going to change trucks, why not get one with the "right" equipment.....(of course, we can not tell you what is "right" for you - but we can say what has proven to be the best for most....)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have to 2nd & 3rd that,,,,,DON"T settle for "about" what you want. I nearly did that a couple times before I finally found "OUR" right truck! I'm glad I kept on lookin!!! I thought I passed up a SUPER deal on a truck, but it didn't have just quite what I wanted.....You won't be sorry, believe me,,,,,/ "us".

welcome aboard..

Mike

Mike & Pat McFall SKP # 40224

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift

2005 Teton 45' Grand Reliance

PressurePro Tire Monitor Dealer

PressurePro System

Mike and Pat's Travels

Tripod Website

Hog, Jack and Tetoner, thanks for the kind replies. I guess I'm going to have to pass that one up. The big reason I was going to do the deal was that it was an actual trade- my pink for his pink. That would eliminate the hassles of selling my Dodge in this poor market. I guess I will keep searching. Thanks

Did you ever think of seeing what it would cost to add a jake to it? Might check that out. I know what you mean,,,,,I would like to trade for a motorhome, but those deals are far and few between.......

Mike

Edited by Tetoner

Mike & Pat McFall SKP # 40224

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift

2005 Teton 45' Grand Reliance

PressurePro Tire Monitor Dealer

PressurePro System

Mike and Pat's Travels

Tripod Website

Dbl.E; Whew, that was close, don't go big without the Jake, they are even more useful due to the additional weight of the truck itself. DO NOT take an exhaust brake in lieu of a Jake either as it ain't anywhere near as effective! I know from experience.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Bruce, Sandra & Scampi cat SKP#86370

Howdy Folks,

Just introducing myself. My DW and I have a 34' Fifth wheel and camp as much as work allows currently. We are planning on retiring later next year. The current tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. I am intrigued with the idea of stepping up to an HDT as we contemplate spending more time traveling and l look forward to your comments and suggestions as the process continues. Thanks to all of you for the tremendous amount of information you have made available.

Best Regards,

Mac McCalla

Blackdog_Express

Mac, Vickie and Faith (the black dog)....

Welcome to the Escapees HDT Forum, Mac. There is indeed a wealth of information here, and a lot of knowledgeable people "hang out" here, too. Any time that you have a question, don't hesitate to ask.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Hello

Was wandering if there are any H.O.G. members out there? If so do you do any rallys.

Just got back from OKC rally going to IA state rally ND rally.

OKC was our longest trip so far. Got our volvo about a year ago from buzzcut.

Haul three full size HDs two in toyroom and one back of cab.

Dan

Newmar X-Aire Toyhauler

2000 610 Volvo

2000 CVO RoadGlide

Hi

My name is Don and I have been lurking for awhile. I have a 08 Raptor, Toyhauler, Triple slider, with 12 foot garage, 16,500# loaded wt. Love It. I have been pulling it with my 07 GMC 2500HD 4x4. I was worried about the weight and legal issues. After consulting with many people and reading this forum, I decided to buy an HDT. Just before coming back to Iraq, I am a contractor flying over here, I bought a 96 Volvo WIA. It was already singled and has an RV 18K hitch. I am upgrading the Pin Box to an air ride Pin Box now and when I build the bed I will put a 32K air ride on then.

I retired from the Army as a Blackhawk pilot in 96 and have been working in aviation since. The nice thing about this job is, I work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off about 182 days a year. My wife got out of jail after 20 years and retired two years ago from the Cochise County Sheriff's Department. I plan on traveling to airshows, carshows, Horse events printing on T shirts during my time off. I can take a picture or make a graphic and put it on a shirt in less than 10 minutes. I can do one shirt or 500 shirts, I can't do 500 in 10 minutes. The equipment is portable and I can put it in the garage.

My 96 Volvo had the Volvo engine removed and a Cat 3176B, if I remembered the number right, installed in it. It was done well and has 43,000 miles on the engine. As I said before it has been single by a shop and was being used for the last 4 years as a RV puller and sole vehicle for the owners.

I hope I did not babble to much.

Thanks,

Don Wirthlin

donwirthlin@gmail.com

Don, Melissa and Jenny2 (Our Boxer)

96 Volvo WIA

08 Raptor 3712TS Toyhauler

07 GMC 2500HD Crew cab Duramax/Allison

I have been lurking off and on since my wife and I ran into Pat McFall a few years ago in Pensacola FL. She showed us their rig and we were really impressed. She told us about Escapees and we have been interested in getting a HDT ever since. A couple months ago we finally got one, a 2005 670 Volvo autoshift with a Volvo engine. We are pulling a pulling a KZ 41’Montego Bay Toy Box. Been on several trips now and we love it. Thanks so much for all the valuable information on the site. And thanks a bunch Pat, had it not been for you we might never have found this site.

Oh BRU I am a HOG member but don't do many rallys

I have been lurking off and on since my wife and I ran into Pat McFall a few years ago in Pensacola FL. She showed us their rig and we were really impressed. She told us about Escapees and we have been interested in getting a HDT ever since. A couple months ago we finally got one, a 2005 670 Volvo autoshift with a Volvo engine. We are pulling a pulling a KZ 41’Montego Bay Toy Box. Been on several trips now and we love it. Thanks so much for all the valuable information on the site. And thanks a bunch Pat, had it not been for you we might never have found this site.

Oh BRU I am a HOG member but don't do many rallys

• 3 weeks later...

New to the forum and to HDTs. My wife and I had decided to go fulltime in a Class A upon retirement in just a few years. Plans were laid and we had chosen the size and options we wanted. We were going to retire early. Well the economy caused significant changes in our plans. After more than 35 years of continuous employment I found myself without. After a few months of looking without success I decided to become a truck driver.

After learning about HDTs we have decided that the most prudent action is to purchase a tractor for use in my job for the next three to five years and then convert it to the motivation portion of our retirement home. DW is very satisfied with this decision because the HDT provides the safest method for traveling. I shyed away from fifth wheels because I didn't want to be stuck driving the tow vehicle to the grocery store. But after learning about using is as an overnighter, and the fuel mileage being better than a DP, and driving one, and the list goes on... This has turned out to be the only way to fly... errrr well you know what I mean.

The straw that broke the camels back was the cost. Our retirement home will cost much less than the DP making the transistion possible at an earlier date. This makes me a happy boy. I can plan to have my PhD in beer and fishing (I am a strong believer in lifelong learning) a wee bit sooner than our other solution.

Besides, I've read a lot of your posts so I feel like I know some of you. Owning an HDT associates us with a more exclusive group of people than those other more routine RVs (read: people as crazy as we are).

I am looking forward to shopping, purchasing, modifying, and owning the entire rig and using all of your knowledge to make the trek!

Mark & Jackie

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

First Post everyone!

I could not stand lurking any more. I sent an E-mail to Mark Bruss and Jack Mayer with an introduction and a couple of questions. I thought I would share a similar introduction with you all.

I am a wanna be full timer and am devouring all of the information I can for my anticipated entry into the fulltiming lifestyle. It could be quite some time before I enter the lifestyle but am confident we will be out there with you guys one way or another.

My name is Jim Hicks and my wonderful bride of 26 years and my lifelong best friend is my wife Robin. We have two wonderful daughters. Our oldest is in the Air Force, and youngest is a sophmore at Florida State. I am a proud member of the United States Navy and have over 25 years of service to date. Once the youngest graduates college and we are truly empty nesters, our fulltiming lifestyle will begin. Possibly sooner, but we will play it by ear.

Robin and I will be entering the fulltiming lifestyle immediately after I retire from the military. The soonest will be Fall of 2011, but it will most likely be closer to my Daughters graduation date. Although I am currently stationed in upstate NY, I will most likely be retiring from Hawaii. Needless to say, acquiring our truck and trailer prior to retirement is impractical, so we will most likely be homeless when we leave Hawaii, while shopping for our truck and trailer. I would love to attend the HDT rally in Kansas this fall, prior to moving to Hawaii, but I think my work schedule will keep me from attending. I will keep tabs on the rallies in the future to see if I can get my schedule to line up. I would love nothing more than to meet some of you guys and get a better understanding of your rigs. Oh well, the fall Hershey Pennsylvania RV show, and the internet will need to suffice for now.

Are any of you HDT guys planning on being at the Hershey show this fall. If so can I arrange to see your rig?

My current thoughts/ plans are:

1) I will pay Cash for my truck and trailer.

2) Buy a Nice Used Volvo Aerocab HDT (Autoshift for wife). Volvo will be outfitted to carry my Goldwing. Model is yet to be determined.

3) Buy a nicely outfitted fifth wheel (35-40 ft) with four season/boondocking capabilities. Most likely a few years old.

Please bear with me as I ask my silly questions to those of you with experience.

Jim

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"