When you sold your rig did you ever get scammed with bad cashier's checks or other scam?

Always call the bank it is drawn on and give them the check number and amount. They can tell you if it is legitimate or not. Do NOT call a number or person the buyer gives you to verify the check. Look up the number yourself and ask for the person that can verify a cashiers check.

If the bank is local, go to that bank and have them verify it. They should be able to verify the name on the check, the check number and the amount.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I will only accept a direct wire transfer to my bank.  Once confirmed, it is their RV.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

6 hours ago, TXiceman said:

I will only accept a direct wire transfer to my bank.  Once confirmed, it is their RV.

Ken

That might work for the seller but if I'm buying, you get the cash when I get the title. The last RV we sold went to a buyer over 900 miles away.

He sent me a picture of the check, I called the bank twice before he got to our house to verify it and once while he was test driving the RV. While he was driving here, I filled out a bill of sale for the RV and had that waiting

He came back from the test drive, handed me the check, I filled out the title info and gave it to him, he hooked up his car to the rear of the motorhome and drove 900 miles home.

Not all buyers use a local bank for a face to face and not all sellers are comfortable giving out their account numbers.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I agree with the direct wire transfer for most high dollar situations. Not a scam, but I did have a brief moment of concern when I sold one RV years ago. The buyer was a neighbor that knew he wouldn't get the title until the check cleared, so it was bit of a shock when he called me about an hour after closing the deal and asked me to please not deposit the check. It seems his wife had transferred the money from an investment account, but mistakenly put it in a savings account instead of the checking account. The next day he showed up with cash and his apologies. No harm done except to my nerves...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

22 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

Go to the bank together.

I have both bought and sold, face to face only, all our RVs, vehicles, etc. I have occasionally bought online from individuals for a computer or other item but never got burned because I message and they need to be responsive or I am gone.

If it needs a title then the individual will need to schedule to be here if traveling when my Credit union is open.

It takes about 24 hours last time I sent a wire transfer so they need to schedule an overnight if they want to see and drive the RV before paying, which I prefer too. I'll even pay for their hotel room or let them stay in the RV when I had my acreage with an RV hookup pad on it for mine and visitors.

If there is any problem with their bank or delays then that is on them.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

21 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Ken

Ditto.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Direct wire works good for the seller but leaves the buyer out to dry. Would you really feel good if you were the buyer? Then what if the RV has a lien on it? There is more to it than direct wire transfer.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

We've used wire transfer several times but not on private sales; always to or from a business. It always went smoothly. Although, one time we almost had to leave without the vehicle because the transfer came through minutes before the dealership would be closing.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 1 month later...

We have both bought and sold RVS through private sales using our banks wire transfer.  No problems on either end.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We sold our Foretravel to a man from The Netherlands. He had to set up a Montana LLC to buy the coach. We got the money (wire transfer) directly into our bank account before he had even seen the coach! The first time he drove it was when he drove it away.

When we bought the trailer that replaced the Foretravel we bought from a dealer. Never again! Somehow they miscalculated the sales tax (4%) and didn't send enough to SD. They had to wire the extra money (all their expense, fortunately) before we could get the plates.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 7:14 AM, DJohns said:

Direct wire works good for the seller but leaves the buyer out to dry. Would you really feel good if you were the buyer? Then what if the RV has a lien on it? There is more to it than direct wire transfer.

I make a copy of both sides of the title to provide to the buyer so that he can see the RV does not have a lien.   If there is a lien, I let the bank handle it.  You might also be able to get a local dealer to handle all of the paperwork for a fee.

Ken