Watch an Illegal Traffic Stop Start to Finish - from the Institute for Justice

DanZemke

I donate to few charitable causes every year, and the Institute for Justice is one of them.  IMO, they are doing great work for all of us.  I primarily help support them, because of their work on Civil Asset Forfeiture.  But they fight for many other worthy causes as well.  Here's a link they sent me, to their latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVEoC-gkbOU

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

• DanZemke changed the title to Watch an Illegal Traffic Stop Start to Finish - from the Institute for Justice

Hundreds of videos on youtube very similar to this one. Have we let our law enforcement become above the law?
Is it because we believe if we havent done anything wrong, they cant or wont do anything to us?

Edited by pjstough

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

"Reality TV and Reality shows" have essentially ruined the word, changed the meaning and we are hardly even aware of it maybe???

As it's been well reported many of the "Real" event's have been staged for effect. Takes and retakes. I in fact enjoy seeing the number of hours and number of attempts people are wasting to get that special shot on video to show off. Makes my non recorded event's that are similar much more important to me since I didn't spend hours trying to do it, it just happened. Of course it may have been me as the only one seeing. 

Thanks for posting, but this isn't reality, it's a recreation of a persons experience and each person in the episode could make a completely different impression with their particular "Spin". 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

3 hours ago, lappir said:

"Reality TV and Reality shows" have essentially ruined the word, changed the meaning and we are hardly even aware of it maybe???

As it's been well reported many of the "Real" event's have been staged for effect. Takes and retakes. I in fact enjoy seeing the number of hours and number of attempts people are wasting to get that special shot on video to show off. Makes my non recorded event's that are similar much more important to me since I didn't spend hours trying to do it, it just happened. Of course it may have been me as the only one seeing. 

Thanks for posting, but this isn't reality, it's a recreation of a persons experience and each person in the episode could make a completely different impression with their particular "Spin". 

Rod

Are you alleging that the video in the link Dan Zemke posted is fake?

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

3 hours ago, lappir said:

I in fact enjoy seeing the number of hours and number of attempts people are wasting to get that special shot on video to show off.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  They are not trying to "show off". The video I linked to is part of a sustained effort to stop our government from illegally seizing private assets to enrich themselves.

Here's another link, in which $87,000 in cash is illegally seized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkeS_0NQUZs

And here's a link to pending, bipartisan, Federal legislation, to reform Civil Asset Forfeiture laws:

https://raskin.house.gov/2023/3/raskin-walberg-lead-bipartisan-effort-to-reform-civil-asset-forfeiture-laws

7 hours ago, pjstough said:

Are you alleging that the video in the link Dan Zemke posted is fake?

I am not and was not. It is a recreation in my mind, but your mind may see it differently and that's ok too. 

My apologies  to anyone who takes offence to my thoughts, sometimes they exit before I consider who it may bother. I will try to do better. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

4 hours ago, lappir said:

It is a recreation in my mind,

x2.  I'm fairly sure there was no camera in the cop car pointing at the driver and passenger.  And I doubt that was the actual cop shown there. Yes, I believe the incident probably happened pretty much as shown but most of it was a recreation not live film.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

11 hours ago, sandsys said:

I'm fairly sure there was no camera in the cop car pointing at the driver and passenger.  And I doubt that was the actual cop shown there.

Linda,

Based on what?

I took the time to go back and study the YouTube content a bit and found the following facts:

Much of the footage has a real-time date-stamp at the top-right corner of the screen.  The 1st line appears to be a time-stamp and the second identifies the camera that was capturing the video ("AXON BODY 2 X81490009").  AXON's home page (www.axon.com) says "Public safety technology, training and software for a safer world".

I googled "Deputy Babb 2022 news".  The first hit was a San Antonio Express-News article.  Its conclusion included: "Schott also says the dog scratched his truck. Bexar County offered almost $7,300 to cover the damage, an amount he accepted, the suit says.".    Joel Babb is no longer a police officer.

P.S. Wasn't able to find a way to attach a photo of Deputy Babb, so will do it in a separate post.

YouTubeVideo.jpg

Edited by DanZemke
Clarity

So, the cop knew he was being filmed yet acted the way he did, anyway?

I wonder if that picture of him was taken after he got fired so he's now in the private protection business? !!!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Unfortunately some will equate this to all or most law enforcement being this way. Of course that is not true but a far to high a percentage make the majority look bad.  If Babb has legally busted a drug dealer or other bad guy all would be well.

I tend to believe this case to be true as presented but I cannot prove it. As far as the filming inside the vehicle I would think Babb did that on purpose as proof of statements made by anyone he questioned the same way.  I may be wrong but I believe it is highly unusual for officers to place people in front seat and I would think that could maybe help them feel less threatened while be questions.   I have done a few ride alongs years ago and observed some of the standard operating proceedures  and later on a couple of minor traffic stops recognized that some of the techniques were being used on me. Driving work trucks and especially work vans in fairly well known drug routes I was stopped because supposedly I failed to signal a lane change.  Every time when they saw me up closer their demeanor changed and I was given just a verbal reminder and sent on my way.  One of these locations was just east of Rockwall TX headed north in my case.  Sometime in that time frame they busted a retired Dallas Cowboy hauling hash in the same 1 mile strecth.  If they get it right I am on their side but if they are unethical they need to go. And I give lots of leeway as it is a difficult job.  Sadly it takes a lot less training to put them on the street than a lot of other professions and that is not fair to them or the public.

Super God Bless the good ones and I hope I can always have their 6.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 6:26 PM, lappir said:

I am not and was not. It is a recreation in my mind, but your mind may see it differently and that's ok too. 

My apologies  to anyone who takes offence to my thoughts, sometimes they exit before I consider who it may bother. I will try to do better. 

Rod

Never apologize for your opinion, right or wrong it's yours;  7% of the U.S.A. population served in the military to preserve your right to express your opinion.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I have known a large number of LEOs over the years and they all tell me that the attitude of the person they stopped plays a large part in the outcome of the stop.  You can either comply and treat the officer with respect or you may just talk yourself into a citation or worse.

Just be respectful of the officer, even if you feel he is wrong.  They have a very difficult job to do with all violence on the streets today.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

The LEO wants a safe outcome. Start with hands visible, such as 10 and 2. No sudden movements. In my case, I ask/tell the LEO what I am going to do. Example is step out with keys to get papers from lock box under seat (wrangler). I get stopped now and again because the rear plate is old and faded. Also because it is stored over winter and sometimes the tag expires before I get smog test.

Most importantly, I declare whether the lock box has a weapon in it or not. Usually the LEO is on pass side so they can see the content of the lock box before I reach in. 

• Kirk W locked this topic