Lose oil Pan plug update.

runaway parents

Went to company that serviced our truck for the Parts for our air compressor. Express my feelings about finding a loose Oil Pan drain plug.  manager Seemed to be extremely concearned about it willing to make things right? I told them that I won't hold It against him for now if he could just take care of the technician. I tried tighten it up still it was leaking. They must have lost the gasket or o ring in the Plug. Went back over to pick up ordered parts talk to the manager again. He told me he would order a new plug and give him a couple days bring it over and it cost me nothing to get it fixed . He seems to be a pretty decent guy to get along with so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It is really nice to know that there are still people out there in the world that stand behind their work.

And admit that mistakes happen and dont dance around it but satisfy the customer who paid you $$ to do the job and should not have to check the work of the folks that did the job.  Those shops should have a double check process internally.  Only really takes a few minutes to do that.

Marcel

14 hours ago, rpsinc said:

And admit that mistakes happen and dont dance around it but satisfy the customer who paid you $$ to do the job and should not have to check the work of the folks that did the job.  Those shops should have a double check process internally.  Only really takes a few minutes to do that.

I know some people don’t like Speedco for their fluid services but the one I deal with has always had me come out while the supervisor checks the filters and all work done and double checks while the technician calls out the torque settings on all plugs.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

My, how times have changed.  In my formative years, no one dreamed of using a torque wrench on drain plugs.  BUT, pans and housings were a bit sturdier in them days.  I've done literally thousands of oil changes, sans torque wrench, and have never stripped a plug.  Perhaps my delicate little digits are just lucky.  I've not yet changed the oil in the KW, but rest assured, when I do, I'll stick a finger in the drain to see how thick that pan might be.

I have a motorcycle that has a gear box at the back wheel.  The housing is so thin that if you torque the drain plug to spec, you're guaranteed to strip it.  Silly Italians.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

The wrench monkeys that are hired to change oil are a lost cause.  I gave up having oil changed for many years and did it myself to have it done properly.  Fighting over tightened drain plugs and filters was not fun.  Now at my advanced age, I no long crawl around under the vehicles and am at the mercy of the oil change clowns.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I have replaced the oil pan drain plug on a couple of my pickups and on my Volvo HDT D13 with the Fumoto drain plug valve and that keeps the wrench turners honest.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

I was looking at getting a Fumoto drain plug but according to the specks it made me nervous about how far it hug down. I guess the only way it would get damaged is something flying up off the road. Has anyone had a issue with damage?

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

We had one on our Volvo, ISX Cummins.  It barely extended below the pan, as the drain plug exited from a corner.  No issues.  I may put one on the KW.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

9 hours ago, Sparky242 said:

I was looking at getting a Fumoto drain plug but according to the specks it made me nervous about how far it hug down. I guess the only way it would get damaged is something flying up off the road. Has anyone had a issue with damage?

I have a fumoto on my KW. I am always off road bouncing across fields and driving gravel roads.  No problems. I love it. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.