Not safe to go to the bank now!

TXiceman

Today we decided to go to get some stuff from our safety deposit box since we were in the area where we used to live.   We got out what we wanted and put it in a small backpack and put it in the back floorboard of the truck.  My wife said we needed to get some tomatoes and mushrooms from the market near where we were, so I pulled in and stayed in the truck with my pistol in the console.  While waiting a black dude broke out the passenger rear window and dove into the truck grabbing the backpack.  He knew where I had stored the bag.  I managed to grab a strap on the bag and hold on to it while screaming at the top of my lungs.  I could not reach the pistol with my left hand as I was leaning into the back seat.  His strap tore and he bailed out without the bag.  I got turned around and grabbed the pistol and got out of the truck, but he had bailed, and I could not see him. I called 911 and they sent a LEO.  While waiting, I kept the pistol in my pocket.  He did not get the bag and I called my insurance to get a new rear window.  

We drove through our old neighborhood and noticed a small black car that had come down a dead-end street and pulled into a circular drive and did not pull-out unit we went past him.  He had followed us from the bank, and I do not know if he knew I was still in the truck.   In any case he was looking for a quick score and the police call this "Jugging".  This was getting to be a problem in the precinct and my description fit the description of one they had be watching for.  The bank was looking at their security footing to see if there had been a vehicle following us out of the lot.  They were not very busy.

We were very lucky that I was not injured, and he did not get the backpack of valuables.

Be very careful when you are making any banking transactions and make sure you are not being followed.  If you think you are being followed, call 911 and drive to a public area or police station.  DO NOT go home.  I do not know if he would have followed us the 75 miles to the house.

So, for now, I am keeping the pistol within grabbing distance on the console when in the truck as well as in the house and will start carrying most of the time.  There are crooks everywhere looking for any opportunity.

Ya'll take care.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Ken,

Thanks for the heads up. So glad you weren't injured nor robbed although I bet your arm is sore. Good resolution to what could have been worse.

What city/state although I assume Texas?

We keep our weapons close too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Ken may I repost your verbiage on my FB page minus the Ken at the bottom? This was the first I heard of "Jugging."

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV, go ahead and use this minus my name.  This was in Cypress, TX, northwest Houston area.

The LEO that responded said this was happening more and more all over the country.  The crooks watch someone get money from an ATM or come out of the bank with a bundle.  Then they follow you home or the next place you stop and do a smash or snatch and grab.  Anytime you go to a bank or ATM, be very vigilant when you leave.  Do not go straight home or to a less populated area.  Drive and double back a few times to see if you are being followed.   This crook followed us for a good 20 minutes and 10 miles.  

He knew right where I placed the backpack behind the driver's seat.  All the stuff we picked up from our old back is now safely in a safe box at our new bank.  I wonder if he would have followed us the 100 miles to our new location.  Or would he attempt to get us off the road?

This still has me shook up and having trouble sleeping at night.

Be safe, be vigilant.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Thanks Ken, I posted minus source or name.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 3/19/2023 at 12:57 AM, TXiceman said:

The LEO that responded said this was happening more and more all over the country. 

Your experience makes me wonder if it happens but doesn't make the TV news? I get most of my news from TV and internet nowadays so possibly that is why I've not heard of it before. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Your experience makes me wonder if it happens but doesn't make the TV news? I get most of my news from TV and internet nowadays so possibly that is why I've not heard of it before. 

Kirk, when I got my concealed carry license many years back, one of the instructors was a retired LEO and he said in the Houston area, the drug and gang problem was much worse than what we saw reported on the tV and newsprint.  He said they only showed the tip of the iceberg.

You need to be very vigilant when you go to a bank, and ATM, the grocery store, etc. to make sure you are not being watched and/or followed.   These crooks especially prey on the elderly.

Ken

21 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Kirk, when I got my concealed carry license many years back, one of the instructors was a retired LEO and he said in the Houston area, the drug and gang problem was much worse than what we saw reported on the tV and newsprint.  He said they only showed the tip of the iceberg.

You need to be very vigilant when you go to a bank, and ATM, the grocery store, etc. to make sure you are not being watched and/or followed.   These crooks especially prey on the elderly.

Ken

And just when I was getting used to going into a bank wearing a mask and a baseball cap.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

And just when I was getting used to going into a bank wearing a mask and a baseball cap.

😂🤣😅

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

The problem is outside the bank, not inside the bank.......

Ken

On 3/18/2023 at 5:11 PM, RV_ said:

This was the first I heard of "Jugging."

I had never heard of it before either. I found an article in the Austin-American Stateman paper about it though from last year.

If you're planning to withdraw cash from a bank anytime soon, you might want to take extra care because authorities are warning of an increase in robberies targeting those visiting financial institutions.

As of July 26, five dozen people had been victims of robberies after leaving banks with cash this year in Austin, according to authorities. A combined amount of more than $500,000 in cash was stolen.

Investigators call this type of crime "jugging," which is when a robber waits at a bank, check-cashing store or ATM for someone to withdraw paper money.

The article goes on to say:

Those who carry cash bags or have cash in hand are especially at risk, according to Austin police.

It would appear that perhaps it was the bag that triggered the incident in Ken's case. I rarely get cash for anything and when I do I rarely need very much so I generally get cash back at HEB or Walmart.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

18 hours ago, rynosback said:

Which you can report right away. 

Unless the criminal puts you in the ER, or worse.

Safe Travels!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 3/17/2023 at 12:25 AM, TXiceman said:

While waiting a black dude broke out the passenger rear window and dove into the truck grabbing the backpack. 

On 3/17/2023 at 12:25 AM, TXiceman said:

I called 911 and they sent a LEO.  

What color was the LEO?  For that matter, what color are you?  Your wife? 

Howdy!

TXiceman, glad you survived the incident without injury. A lot of crooks leave the Houston area to pray on people in somewhat higher economic areas. As a retired Houston police officer I would recommend to carry on your person as to off carry. It may not have matter in this situation but when needed it helps to be close at hand. Now days with there being no deterrent of criminal activity and basically catch and release of arrested criminal the chances of be a victim of crime is increasing. I believe everyone should be prepared to defend their self, family and others as need be. Chances of police arriving in time are near impossible to a crime in progress. This can be seen in an active shooter situation now days with the most highest priority of police response time. Not trying to cry wolf but it is what it is and don’t see any improvement any time soon. 

”Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

3 hours ago, Blues said:

What color was the LEO?  For that matter, what color are you?  Your wife? 

The PERP was black the LEO was a female Hispanic and I am white (with a trace of Native American) for the curious.   Wife is white with Dutch Irish ancestry.  I do not know what that has to do with it.

My firearm was not on me but on the console as I was sitting in the driver's seat and could not reach the holster when seated.   I have since found and ordered a Kangaroo concealed carry under the arm holster.  Take a look at those.  A neighbor that is a former LEO recommended them and that is what he uses to carry 90% of the time.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

I assume the kangaroo would not work with a t-shirt.??

An LEO friend of mine uses a wallet holster with a small 380 in it for times like that. He says that many people tell him that the 380 too light a round but his answer is that a 22 will work if you shoot well enough. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

An LEO friend of mine uses a wallet holster with a small 380 in it for times like that. He says that many people tell him that the 380 too light a round but his answer is that a 22 will work if you shoot well enough. 

I also often carry a 380.  It is difficult to work with a larger outfit.  It fits in my pocket.  A friend also carries a little 22.  He is a skilled marksman and retired LEO.  He also says placement is more important.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I prefer my .40 S&W M&P shield but I'm having issues with the slide being a bit harder than five years ago to work so I took another look at the 9mm short .380. I do like the Sig 365 and the Ruger LCP were I to get one for CC and would have a laser on it like the LaserMax I put on my S&W Shield .40.

If I were to get one I'd have to get some of these rounds for it.  https://www.ammoland.com/2021/01/g2-research-rip-380-acp-hp-62-grain-ammunition/

Retired Combat Arms instructor, LEO, and LEO instructor for my last 20 years of 27 active duty military and civilian and we also inspected, tested, and fixed all the ground weapons when they broke as well. First hand info.

So I just bought a stainless steel 3" magnum, 3" barrel, 5 shot Taurus Judge revolver and have one of each loaded with two of the PDX1 defense .410, one #6 shotshell, One Hornady .410Triple defense round, and one .45LC round.

HKAqk6sl.jpg

Here is my Shield. The Laser max looks factory built-in.

9HjE7pGl.jpg

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 3/29/2023 at 10:25 PM, TXiceman said:

The PERP was black the LEO was a female Hispanic and I am white (with a trace of Native American) for the curious.   Wife is white with Dutch Irish ancestry.  I do not know what that has to do with it.

My firearm was not on me but on the console as I was sitting in the driver's seat and could not reach the holster when seated.   I have since found and ordered a Kangaroo concealed carry under the arm holster.  Take a look at those.  A neighbor that is a former LEO recommended them and that is what he uses to carry 90% of the time.

Ken

I'm retired LE and I was wondering the same thing.

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#