Rv park admittance

John and Ang

Having been a commercial driver for over 30 years and just recently retiring I have bought an HDT to tow my 5er . We are heading out for a mainly in the 11 western stares journey and I was wondering what kind of acceptance you generaly get from rv parks ?  
      Our tractor is 24 ft long and our trailer is 39 ft . With kingpin being 2 ft in from rear of tractor it gives us a total length of about 61 ft , which I think I can get into anywhere that a long bed dually can .

If you haven't already done so, mosey on over to the Resource Guide where you'll find a listing of HDT friendly campgrounds. In addition, there are BLM guides for camping/boondocking on Federal lands...if you're up for that kinda' thing.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Thank you my friend . I have found that , however I made previous reservations thinking I would be driving my dually at the time . So for the 3 or 4 parks we have reserved I am thinking about showing up without calling ahead and telling them I now have an HDT . Sometimes it can be better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission as for the topic of a semi tractor can intimidate some people un necessarily .

Many state & national parks were built decades ago when "big" RVs didn't exist. VERY few have been updated to accommodate new, longer RVs. It's not unusual for there to be private campgrounds / RV parks fairly close to state & national parks where they can often handle today's longer rigs. As spindrift recommends, start with the HDT Resource Guide. There are also lots of apps that offer a wealth of information (one of my favorites is AllStays Camp & RV)

Edited by jkoenig24
spelling

First of all, WELCOME!!!  Where are y'all from?  What kinda truck do you have?  Pics?

We've never been turned away because of our choice of toter truck.  But, in the past few months, we've twice been asked for pictures of our rig, because of it's age.

So, in addition to what spindrift advised, use google maps to measure sites and get a feel for the turns in the parks.  By right clicking your mouse on google maps, you can measure sites.  Don't rely on the person on the phone to say they can handle any rig, or that their sites are 80'. 

As mentioned by John above, parks in the east are older and tighter.  At 71' overall, we've had little trouble finding large sites in the western states.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have never been turned away from a park in 10+ years of HDT RVing.  My HDT has a skirted bed on it and is singled short, so it is obvious it isn’t used commercially when you look at it.

I also don’t volunteer that I tow with an HDT unless I am specifically asked.  Usually the only question I get asked when making a reservation over the phone is what my rig’s overall length is.  I give this information freely and only mention the HDT if they question me further about the rig.  I have had no issues to date west of the Mississippi doing this.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I am with Chad, too.  I might add that I am towing with a 26 ft class A motorhome.  

Only been turned down once.  Elkhart Co. / Middlebury KOA Holiday.  The manager came out and told us we could not enter the park.  Had trouble with HDTs in the past.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Chet, we stayed at that park twice in the past three years, towing with the Volvo.  No issues.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

23 minutes ago, richardbetsey said:

This is probably a dumb question. I cannot find any link to access the Resource Guide. Where do I find it.?

At the top of the HDT section, there's a bunch of pinned topics. The Resource Guide is among them.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We were turned down over the phone at an RV park in Brownsburg TX. This has been the only one in over 10 years of using the HDT. We did have one park in Indiana that asked us to move the truck to their overflow area as there seasonal guests complained they didn't like the look of it! 

We have found many State Parks we can fit into and we are 73' long. We will be at one in a couple weeks in Florida. There may only be a few sites that can fit us, so early booking is best!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

City/county parks in the Miami area have RV campsites, and two of them said the HDT couldn't stay on property because it wouldn't fit in the site and they had no overflow parking, and I couldn't park in the "park" parking lots. 

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

40 minutes ago, aknavy said:

City/county parks in the Miami area have RV campsites, and two of them said the HDT couldn't stay on property because it wouldn't fit in the site and they had no overflow parking, and I couldn't park in the "park" parking lots. 

We have stayed in one park in Miami with another couple and both had out HDT's towing 40+ trailers. Everything, including the smart cars, fit on the site but getting into the park around the other vehicles parking on the side of the road was a bit of a challenge.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 1 month later...

I don't like suprises at the end of a travel day, so we always tell them we are 43' 5th wheel with 4 slides. We tow it with a converted Volvo tractor titled as a motorhome with our smart car on the back. Overall 65' long when towing. If truck doesn't fit at site, we are happy to park it in overflow. We have only been told no when they just don't have any long sites available or a place to park the truck (rare). I'd rather find that out before I get there. On RV trip Wizard and others, RV park websites will usually tell you if big rig friendly. That's the first rhing we look for in the description.

Corps of Engineers are possibly the best when it comes to extra long (75-100' concrete), extra wide (minimum 50' between sites and often more and almost always on a beautiful recreational waterway. Usually under $30 bucks with 50% off for the Senior pass or 100% disabled. We have stayed and are going back to Waco this year (maybe this time my wife might get to see Chip & Joanna). We will again stay at CoE campground on Lake Waco. Pull thru 75' long, throw a stone in the lake from our doorway, all for well  under $20/night, full hookups. We also find many state, county (especially fairgrounds) and city parks that we can fit in. Just gotta due your due diligence.

We were denied one time. Some little podunk campground in the middle of Illinois. I didn't really want to stay there anyway it was just going to be convenient. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

20 hours ago, GruntPilot47 said:

I don't like suprises at the end of a travel day, so we always tell them we are 43' 5th wheel with 4 slides. We tow it with a converted Volvo tractor titled as a motorhome with our smart car on the back. Overall 65' long when towing. If truck doesn't fit at site, we are happy to park it in overflow. We have only been told no when they just don't have any long sites available or a place to park the truck (rare). I'd rather find that out before I get there. On RV trip Wizard and others, RV park websites will usually tell you if big rig friendly. That's the first rhing we look for in the description.

Corps of Engineers are possibly the best when it comes to extra long (75-100' concrete), extra wide (minimum 50' between sites and often more and almost always on a beautiful recreational waterway. Usually under $30 bucks with 50% off for the Senior pass or 100% disabled. We have stayed and are going back to Waco this year (maybe this time my wife might get to see Chip & Joanna). We will again stay at CoE campground on Lake Waco. Pull thru 75' long, throw a stone in the lake from our doorway, all for well  under $20/night, full hookups. We also find many state, county (especially fairgrounds) and city parks that we can fit in. Just gotta due your due diligence.

GP...we've wanted to visit Waco Lake for awhile.  Is there a particular COE campground that you would recommend?

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

52 minutes ago, spindrift said:

GP...we've wanted to visit Waco Lake for awhile.  Is there a particular COE campground that you would recommend?

Tom, I believe Dan and Freda stayed there for a while.  Give them a shout.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

6 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Tom, I believe Dan and Freda stayed there for a while.  Give them a shout.

Thank you, sir.  Will do.

I'm going to give that Rose of Sharon a go this weekend.  B)

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Lest anyone think "spindrift" is being kinky, (and of course he is), "Rose of Sharon" is a cigar brand we both bought in a cigar shop a few days ago.  It was delightful.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN