What dash cam to get?

gypsydan

I was Watching some videos on YouTube about check-breaking and realized it might behoove me to have a dash cam.

So the question is, what are some of the dashcams people use, and the reasons why you chose the dash cam you did?

Thanks in advance. 😎

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I've had several. the latest one has been the longest lasting. My problem is I move them from vehicle to vehicle. They don't do well with being dropped. Have had a Garmin and another I can't currently remember the name of. Current is a Whistler that has been more durable https://whistlergroup.com/products/d28rs-dash-camera heres a link to the one I purchased. I got it at a Best Buy I think 5+ years ago. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Dan,

Mine are built in but were I buying one today I would go to this link and go to Amazon for the price on each but more importantly read the reviews.

https://buyersguide.org/dash-cams/t/car?msclkid=5bb39e7c2c3f11e8dafafd768e613c18&m=e&d=c&c=83082184630360&oid=kwd-83082661632413:loc-4085&qs=Best dash cams&lp=44450&li=&nw=o&nts=1&tdid=9645996

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Every one I've bought and returned has a very short loop time. I bought a well-known brand and it only had a 3 minute loop-time. Shoot If I were in a crash, by the time I collected my thoughts the crash loop would be overwritten.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

I'd buy another one without even shopping it.

Do you move it from one vehicle to the next?  And which one did you buy as Amazon has several models.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Every one I've bought and returned has a very short loop time. I bought a well-known brand and it only had a 3 minute loop-time. Shoot If I were in a crash, by the time I collected my thoughts the crash loop would be overwritten.

Do you have a SD card in it?

15 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Get one with an impact detector that will stop recording after an impact.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

The Tesla dash cam I have is limited compared to some top of the line third party cams like the Blackvue except for the number of cameras and Sentry features and recording of wrecks. This article references an old model Blackvue but I have link to the current one at the bottom. It is more expensive then the Rove I had several years ago but look at the comparison chart:

"Comparison

When compared with third-party dashcams, the Tesla dashcam is a bit limited, but the price (free) is right and doesn’t require any special installation. It doesn’t perform nearly as well as the best dashcams, such as the Blackvue.

Blackvue BlackVueFront and rear cameras

Feature Tesla Dashcam BlackVue DR900S-2CH
Front camera 1280 x 960 narrow-angle (~40°) 3840 x 2160 (2160p) 162°
Side cameras 1280 x 960 75°, rear-biased 1920 x 1080 (1080p) 139° *  (optional)
Rear camera 1280 x 960 135° 1920 x 1080 (1080p) 139°
Frame rate 36 fps 30 fps (optional 60 fps at 1080p)
Color yes, front muted yes, normal
Image stabilization No Yes
Memory Use 3 GB/hour, 4 cameras 17.5 GB/hour front & back
Maximum Recording 60 minutes max Up to limit of memory
Video Stamps none Timestamp and GPS location
Power 250W 5.6W
Audio recording No Yes
WiFi auto upload to Cloud No Yes
In car Viewer Yes No

* Side cameras can be installed with a second DR900S. With a four-camera setup, usually, the 2160p cameras are mounted front and rear, and the 1080p cameras are mounted on each side of the car."

Source:

https://teslatap.com/articles/tesla-dashcam/tesla-dashcam-explained/#:~:text=Tesla has a number of cool features –,Camera Coverage Area Vehicles That Include the Dashcam

That model in the comparison is discontinued and here is the new model with the reviews:

BlackVue DR900X-2CH with 32GB microSD Card | 4K UHD Cloud Dashcam | Built-in Wi-Fi, GPS, Parking Mode Voltage Monitor | LTE via Optional CM100 LTE Module

I would shop around if this one appeals as a top shelf unit. Source with reviews at the bottom

This the new model from Amazon is a tad cheaper than many sources but with hundreds of reviews, a video, and full specs - worth a read to compare before you buy.

I have not used this one so can't recommend or nor recommend. Caveat Emptor applies:

https://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-DR900X-2CH-microSD-Dashcam-Optional/dp/B08D99FZ29/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?adgrpid=1337007367667206&hvadid=83563133902360&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=151164&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-83563771668572%3Aloc-119&hydadcr=946_1014950857&keywords=blackvue%2Bdr900x%2Bplus&qid=1661707615&sr=8-1-spons&smid=AQXDPQN3LTP6G&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySTgzTktJVFdaUFVWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTQ1MzM5M1U5UVNYTjFWS1hJTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTgzNjgwM1M4WkJJU1I3MVRZViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Safe Travels!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

42 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Mount a Tesla on your dash? 

🤣😂

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I did a Black Friday sale one at Menards a few years ago. 3 years at it still works. It has a removable SD card. I would have to remember to turn it off if we had a hit that I wanted to save. There are buttons to stop recording but it has been so long I forget which ones would do it. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I bought a "Oldshark" dash cam from Amazon in 2017, (about $60) and it's still working today.  I switch it between my car and RV (suction cup mount) without problem.  It has been invaluable.  Last year while passing through des Moines, a triple-tow tractor trailer passed me on the left (I was in the center lane doing the speed limit).  There was a right to left crosswind, and the last trailer brushed my motorhome.  There was a bang, and suddenly the awning started to deploy fabric.  I pulled over at the next stop and cut away the fabric, secured the awning roller with tie wraps, and filed a claim with my insurance for a new awning.  The agent checked and said that the trucking company, a contractor to UPS, denied that it happened.  I said "would you like to see the video?"  With both the visual and sound it was clear that the impact happened (you could hear my wife say "hey!  He hit us!).  I was going to get reimbursed anyway, but it was nice to see that the trucking contractor had to pay.  They are definitely worth the investment.)

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

10 hours ago, MeanderMan said:

I bought a "Oldshark" dash cam from Amazon in 2017, (about $60) and it's still working today. 

Nice to see you back here! Two questions if you don't mind. Does the camera get power visa lighter type plug on the dash? And do you have to turn it on each time you start or does it power up automatically like most GPS do?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

23 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Do you move it from one vehicle to the next?  And which one did you buy as Amazon has several models.

No, it's been in the same vehicle since I bought it on Ebay years ago.
I don't know what model it is and Ebay doesn't keep purchase history over three years.🙁

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

On 8/27/2022 at 2:43 PM, lappir said:

I've had several. the latest one has been the longest lasting. My problem is I move them from vehicle to vehicle. They don't do well with being dropped. Have had a Garmin and another I can't currently remember the name of. Current is a Whistler that has been more durable https://whistlergroup.com/products/d28rs-dash-camera heres a link to the one I purchased. I got it at a Best Buy I think 5+ years ago. 

Rod

Thank you.  I had not run across the Whistler cam.  Will put it on my lsit to check out.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

On 8/29/2022 at 5:06 AM, Kirk W said:

Nice to see you back here! Two questions if you don't mind. Does the camera get power visa lighter type plug on the dash? And do you have to turn it on each time you start or does it power up automatically like most GPS do?

It uses a 12V plug and automatically starts when you start the vehicle.  It also has a vibration sensor, and if it senses vibration, turns itself on.

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com