OT: Learning Experience

SuiteSuccess

Have had an interesting experience occur twice in the truck recently that I thought I’d share for a learning experience.  In April prior to the ECR it had rained heavily and pulling into my site, my trailer wheels made approximately a 6” rut on one side.  When going forward, in the cab of the truck I heard a “grinding” sound which I really couldn’t figure out if it was coming from my truck motor, transmission, or if I had drug a leveling pad or frame on trailer.  Looked at frame and pad and no evidence of drag so was afraid it was truck issue.  No codes.  Drove truck unhooked from trailer 10 miles and shifted normally and sounded normal.  Pulled home later with no issues.  Fast forward until last week.  Truck has been driven but not with trailer.  Hooked up and short stay at campground nearby which is fairly new with gravel sites and recent heavy rains.  Created two 6” ruts with trailer wheels and same “ grinding “ sound again while pulling into site.   Repeat inspection of trailer, drove truck unhooked and all seemed normal.  Left today and softer “grind” when exiting site.  Return trip, truck ran fine, shifted normally, and no grinding.  Best I can figure is pulling through the soft gravel and sinking, the wheel sound  is transmitting through the frame and what I’m hearing in the truck.  Anyone had a similar experience in soft gravel?  Also after first experience was going to take my truck into shop for diagnostic but probably would have paid lots of $$ to not find an issue or they would of suggested transmission overhaul or something expensive.  Not saying it still may not be an issue but interesting in both scenarios the conditions were identical and not reproducible at any other time.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Are you sure it wasn't gravel getting into the works and grinding around? I once was on a back TN road in heavy fresh gravel and thought I lost a wheel bearing, so I stopped and changed it. Turns out, all that happened was gravel getting in the wheel/brake area and grinding around, making noise. Nothing actually wrong. Jay

24 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Are you sure it wasn't gravel getting into the works and grinding around? I once was on a back TN road in heavy fresh gravel and thought I lost a wheel bearing, so I stopped and changed it. Turns out, all that happened was gravel getting in the wheel/brake area and grinding around, making noise. Nothing actually wrong. Jay

Well could be a possibility.  The gravel at the newer campground was small, finer chipped limestone. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Maybe check the wheel bearings on each axle of the trailer? If it was mine I would after hearing that, but I have had wheel bearings fail before. My camper had the bearings not tight enough on 2 hubs on the one side from the factory. Never thought to check them on a new rig till tires were wearing funny. Was able to get a half a turn on each axle nut to get them back to being correct. 

12 hours ago, Case20hp said:

Maybe check the wheel bearings on each axle of the trailer? If it was mine I would after hearing that, but I have had wheel bearings fail before. My camper had the bearings not tight enough on 2 hubs on the one side from the factory. Never thought to check them on a new rig till tires were wearing funny. Was able to get a half a turn on each axle nut to get them back to being correct. 

My upcoming project before next trip.  Pulling and repacking trailer wheel bearings.  Also wouldn’t a bearing issue be grinding more than just occasionally?

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Check the lower shocks bolts on the IS suspension. They hang down pretty low and I found one of mine bent at a 90° angle from normal. Morryde said it wouldn't affect anything when we recently had an alignment done, but I bought a spare shock from them anyway just in case. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

38 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

Check the lower shocks bolts on the IS suspension. They hang down pretty low and I found one of mine bent at a 90° angle from normal. Morryde said it wouldn't affect anything when we recently had an alignment done, but I bought a spare shock from them anyway just in case. 

Will do.  Thanks.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Are you guys hearing the engine when it uses pilot injection? Makes a rough running sound which I guess could be interpreted as grinding. Usually happens when the engine is below normal temp and at low rpm. More noticeable if torque demand increases. 

I don t have experience with many engine brands to know which ones do it, but quite common on the newer engines. My D11 Volvo does it.

Basically a small amount of fuel is injected before tdc creating an effect similar to spark knock. This serves to preheat the cylinder and affect the emissions.

I’m my case both occurrences were at operating temps after pulling in to campground and only in soft gravel where trailer was a bit bogged down.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

Carl I still think it was the jack dragging in the rocks. We were behind you at deer run when it happened and it was the rear door side of the trailer. 

I’m tending that way even with my recent event. I cannot reproduce it under any other circumstances other than in loose packed gravel. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

24 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

very low rpm + high torque requirement = resonance through the driveline.

Resonance = vibration?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Yes.  Low frequency vibration that sounds like the unused gears rattling.  We've had a few trucks that did this, pulling a hill, loaded, coming out of a field. Once the rpm comes up a little, it goes silent.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Yes.  Low frequency vibration that sounds like the unused gears rattling.  We've had a few trucks that did this, pulling a hill, loaded, coming out of a field. Once the rpm comes up a little, it goes silent.

Hmm.  Thanks Rick.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I'm pretty sure the noise is from Carl dragging the trailer thru the gravel. When we got to the ECR this year, I thought they were digging trenches to lay a new 12" water line but no, it was just Carl getting into his site....😄😄😎

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

9 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I'm pretty sure the noise is from Carl dragging the trailer thru the gravel. When we got to the ECR this year, I thought they were digging trenches to lay a new 12" water line but no, it was just Carl getting into his site....😄😄😎

LMAO. 😆:ph34r:

I'm a work'n on it.

9 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Hey, do what I can to help the campgrounds keep from renting a trencher. 😜

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

20 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

That was funny but I’m not laughing at Carl I’m laughing with him

I spoke with Carl today.  Last night, before drifting off to snoozeville, it struck me......Carl has a two pedal truck.  Never having owned one myself, it escaped me that under high torque/low rpm situations, the tranny brain box might not have the clutch fully engaged.  Hmmmm.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I spoke with Carl today.  Last night, before drifting off to snoozeville, it struck me......Carl has a two pedal truck.  Never having owned one myself, it escaped me that under high torque/low rpm situations, the tranny brain box might not have the clutch fully engaged.  Hmmmm.....

Good point!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

You can't call it a "tranny" anymore. It is a gender neutral, gear changing device.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

7 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

You can't call it a "tranny" anymore. It is a gender neutral, gear changing device.

Now that’s funny, I don’t care who you are.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3