RV age limit in parks?

Roamer

Typical I've seen is 10.  We ran into some snobs, did not prevent us from staying but they went full tilt on nightly charges.  Would have cost half as much if ours was newer than 10yrs.  And ours looked better than alot of the newer ones parked there.... so it does happen.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

We have never been turned away from a CG because of the age of our rig that's now 19 years old but it's been well maintained and doesn't look it's age. That rule is in place so the parks will have a reason to not let you in if you are run down poorly maintained RV.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

10 minutes ago, D&J said:

We have never been turned away from a CG because of the age of our rig that's now 19 years old but it's been well maintained and doesn't look it's age. That rule is in place so the parks will have a reason to not let you in if you are run down poorly maintained RV.

Denny

Same for us . But , our Monaco is 22 years old . 

Just keep your rig in nice condition and you'll feel much better about life . ;)

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

We've never been asked how old our rig is, but I have a picture of it in my phone to send them if the question is asked.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Many parks have the 10-year rule and use it to keep junkie rigs out.  Most will accept you if you send a photo and the rig is kept in good shape.

We have been turned away from one park north of Houston when we had a beautifully restored 1978 Silver Steak that looked better than many of the newer rigs in the park.  Saw one place that had a 6-year-old rule and some are class A rigs only.  It is my money and I'll just take it elsewhere.

Some of these places seem to think that an older rig will pass on some disease to a fancy newer rig.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We stay in many parks for a night or two with our now 21 year old Class A while in transit to our preferred state and national park campgrounds. In some, I've noticed they do have 10 or 15 year age rules, but only apply them to long term stays of a month or more. We've never been turned away at any park for a short stay, but then we don't look for high end parks with all the amenities we won't use.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We stayed at a park that asked for a picture before being excepted.

When we got there we saw several trailers that were covered in a green algae, torn awning fabric all around poor condition.

I guess once you get in the park you don't have to keep up the appearances anymore.

"We have been turned away from one park north of Houston when we had a beautifully restored 1978 Silver Steak that looked better than many of the newer rigs in the park. ...

Some of these places seem to think that an older rig will pass on some disease to a fancy newer rig."

Your first sentence is the real reason. Our 1993 Foretravel gets favorable comments all the time. We've even had people come out of the office to see it.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

18 hours ago, kb0zke said:

"We have been turned away from one park north of Houston when we had a beautifully restored 1978 Silver Steak that looked better than many of the newer rigs in the park. ...

Some of these places seem to think that an older rig will pass on some disease to a fancy newer rig."

Your first sentence is the real reason. Our 1993 Foretravel gets favorable comments all the time. We've even had people come out of the office to see it.

When we had this trailer, we had people knock on the door and ask to see it.  We also restored a 1989 Avion (silver) 35-foot trailer.  I love seeing these well cared for RVs on the road and being loved.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

The only time I've been asked the age of our motorhome was in 2007 when we were "test camping" a 1986 Toyota based Dolphin 21' Class C that we had refurbished to flip. The clerk at a KOA asked the year simply because he wondered if it was the same age as his sister's Toyota/Dolphin.

Dutch

13 minutes ago, bruce t said:

And what if I owned a 1999 Prevost conversion?

It would depend on how much of a stickler the park is to their rules I expect. If they have some wiggle room and your Prevost is in good shape, ok. Otherwise...

Dutch

How would they even know the age by looking at an RV? I've never been turned away, I was asked a few times how old my MH is; I said It's over 3 years old. They never questioned my true statement, 20 is more than 3 isn't it?

One time I was asked it it was over 10 years old, I replied, it once was; the desk clerk never even looked up, she just kept writing out my receipt.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I previously had a 1998 Newell and recently a 1999 Foretravel. Both were in very good condition and the paint looked new and I never had a problem at any campground or RV resort. Occasionally had to email a picture and was accepted without question.

IMO campgrounds (RV resorts) either want to limit rough looking RV's that might need repairs, or they are actually true RV Resorts that are limiting their clientele to recent high valued RV's.  

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

Thanks again for all the input. It turns out I just had my first experience with this while securing temporary storage for the RV. A storage facility that we have used previously now says they won’t allow RVs over 10 years old. Well, thanks to the advice here, I offered to email them a photo of the rig. They said “sure” and then promptly agreed to take my business once they saw the photo. 🥰

Lodestar Knife & Tool

Dozens of vintage and custom knives for sale!

2008 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2014 Scamp 13

15 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

How would they even know the age by looking at an RV?

The place I mentioned, sorta, told us part of checking in for a stay, bring in registration of the RV as proof of age.  No registration, don't bother walking in door.  Made a difference on $1,800/mo, or $600/mo for winter long-stay.  We never went back.  Wasn't going to pay that much for the privilege of walking around on duck/goose poop close to a ... swamp.... full of water fowl, think very messy/green water and enough skeeters to walk on.  Just for the privilege of being in town (Seattle burb).

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

43 minutes ago, bruce t said:

In these days of PC and discrimination actions what's the odds of the 10 year rule standing up in a court? Just saying.

For private parks, I expect the courts would see an RV age limit as coming under the same umbrella as the "We reserve the right to deny service..." rules where only discrimination by race, color, creed, etc., carry some validity. 

Dutch

I have dealt with 2 that stuck to their guns on age. Once back in 1998. The most recent about 2years ago. I had stayed at the 2nd one many times but it changed hands and went to a six year rule no exceptions even thought the new manager advocated for me based on the picture I sent.