From 5er to class C or A

Not to be flippant, but whatever suits you both. You already know the floorplan needs to fit both your desires. There are many  who travel in class C MH's and are quite happy with the arrangement. Gas class A MH's have less maintenance than a diesel pusher IMO, and within the last decades have became very reliable.

A DP MH is designed for moving and IMO is more suited for long distance and daily driving. Along with that comes higher operating expenses. This makes traveling in a DP MH the most expensive method of traveling in the RV lineup.

We are very happy with our MH and enjoy traveling. Today traveling in our DP MH averages ~ $1/mile.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I think that part of the answer is in the size your fifth wheel is and are you wanting to downsize? When you consider a class C, does that include the super C as well? Are you shopping new or used, or both? And probably the primary questions is the size of your budget? If you do not consider the super C then class C motorhomes are typically not much larger than 32-35' in length and have limited cargo capacity. But if you consider the super C market you can easily find them up to 45' in length, 4 slides, and with maximum cargo capacity. As a general thought, I believe most people moving from a fifth wheel into a motorhome with a moderate budget will probably be happier in a class A, but that is too much of a generalization to be of much value.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Lots of good suggestions. Thanks. Let me add a bit more clarification.

When I say part-time, I mean anywhere from 2-6 months a year, with a few short trips in between (weekends, a week, etc). We do plan on taking cross-country trips every couple of years or so, which means crossing the Rockies, otherwise just mostly in the SE and up and down the East Coast.

I still work full-time, but since we stopped full timing I found I can live with a less complete office on the road, so we are downsizing from our mid-bunk 5er to something without that kind of space. Currently at 42', looking at anywhere between 32-40.

Primarily looking for a used rig, diesel class C/super C. But all options are on the table right now, hopefully under 200K.

This is a question we are batting around also. Presently we have a 41 foot Fifth Wheel and spend at least 6 months a year in it. Normally our  stays are one week or longer at 7 different locations, mostly over 400 miles from our summer base. Our one reason for change, is pulling a car and allowing my DW to drive at our many week long stays. The DP gives a quieter drive and ease of fueling up. Today the Gas Class A would be more economical, with a loss of storage space and some options we would prefer.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We're actually looking to go the other way. We've had our Foretravel for almost 10 years, and we've learned a lot. We aren't traveling as much as we thought we would be, so we're looking to sell the Foretravel and go to a 5'er.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Since you're a fiver driver like I was there is one issue you might want to pay close attention to in shopping for them. From the late great JD Gallant - wheelbase:

https://rv.org/blogs/news/short-wheelbases-and-accidents-go-hand-in-hand

JD is gone but Connie is keeping on. Lots of free info here for others shopping:

https://rv.org/blogs/news

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 5/10/2022 at 4:18 PM, kb0zke said:

We're actually looking to go the other way. We've had our Foretravel for almost 10 years, and we've learned a lot. We aren't traveling as much as we thought we would be, so we're looking to sell the Foretravel and go to a 5'er.

Sell the Foretravel and buy a fifther? That means buying a truck to tow with that can be expensive to operate. I personally never want to own another diesel truck besides my Freightshaker.  It costs nothing when not towing. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1